Thread poster: Luke Hubbard (X)
Luke Hubbard (X)
Luke Hubbard (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:02
German to English
Sep 27, 2017

Hi all,

Does anyone know/recommend where I can buy a Spanish-English business dictionary (hopefully it will cover some marketing terms too)? I recently bought a German-English business dictionary and it is really useful, just need a Spanish one now.

Thanks

Luke

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 07:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Free online dictionaries Sep 28, 2017

Personally, I haven't found the need for a business dictionary on paper for ages. Until the turn of the century, I was using a business dictionary and a technical dictionary (sorry, I can't recall the name right now, I think it began with an L, but it wasn't Longman) which were on CDs, but unfortunately they wouldn't work on 64-bit platforms and the manufacturers didn't bring out 64 bit versions, as they saw there would be little demand in the immediate future, due to online availability of simi... See more
Personally, I haven't found the need for a business dictionary on paper for ages. Until the turn of the century, I was using a business dictionary and a technical dictionary (sorry, I can't recall the name right now, I think it began with an L, but it wasn't Longman) which were on CDs, but unfortunately they wouldn't work on 64-bit platforms and the manufacturers didn't bring out 64 bit versions, as they saw there would be little demand in the immediate future, due to online availability of similar resources.

Nowadays I get by with occasionally consulting things like:
http://www.businessdictionary.com/
Collapse

Luke Hubbard (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
what SL dictionary do you use? Sep 28, 2017

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the reply. Thank you also for the link to that business dictionary, looks extremely useful for checking terms and their definitions. What dictionary do you use to check the SL rather than the full definition of a term? Can that 'business dictionary' change language or is it solely in English?

Thanks

Luke

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
The what now? Sep 28, 2017

Lukeh17 wrote:

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the reply. Thank you also for the link to that business dictionary, looks extremely useful for checking terms and their definitions. What dictionary do you use to check the SL rather than the full definition of a term? Can that 'business dictionary' change language or is it solely in English?

Thanks

Luke

Er... I'm not sure I understand what you're asking me.If by SL you mean "source language", I don't usually have to check the spelling of text in Spanish. Sometimes I might run the Spanish spellchecker before starting to translate into English (I have one client who is notoriously lax and slipshod about this kind of thing, and
advertising/marketing agency where everything appears to be done ad hoc and on a wing and a prayer).

The DRAE is available online too, although I also have a copy on CD somewhere:

http://dle.rae.es/?id=DgIqVCc

Investopedia is useful too:
http://www.investopedia.com/dictionary/

[Edited at 2017-09-28 16:12 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-09-28 16:13 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-09-28 16:14 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Eureka! Sep 28, 2017

Better late than never.I just remembered that the CD dictionary I was using was the Routledge technical, and I had a Business version of it too.
There's a thread about it here:

http://www.english-spanish-translator.org/spanish-english-technical-translation/2647-routledge-technical-dictionary.html

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A must Sep 28, 2017

A basic for every business translator: Diccionario de términos económicos, financieros y comerciales. Inglés-Español / Spanish-English by Alcaraz-Hughes, Ed. Ariel, ISBN 978-8434404977. Look for the latest edition!

Luke Hubbard (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 28, 2017

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the links and suggestions. Been a great help

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spanish-English business dictionary

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »