AutoHotkey script to use Google Translate for free (for cheapskates)!
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:06
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oct 12, 2017

I just stumbled across this great little AutoHotkey script (by Raphaël Toussaint) to translate a selection (anywhere on yr computer) with Google Translate, for free. Basically it's a free version of GT4T. I found it @ https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/400/p/13010/51596?Redirected=true

Capture

Michael

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 18:06
English to German
For those who don't want to fiddle with scripts Oct 12, 2017

FWIW, Omni-Lookup supports Google Translate directly. Just click the wizard, enter www.google.com and make the wizard do all settings for you.

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
I clicked Oct 12, 2017

Rolf Keller wrote:

FWIW, Omni-Lookup supports Google Translate directly. Just click the wizard, enter www.google.com and make the wizard do all settings for you.

I clicked but nothing happened. Maybe you're not as smart as the script Michael found on the Internet.

Cheers,
Gerard

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Google Translate Oct 12, 2017

It does not seem to call the API, so it does not benefit from the related privacy and data handling the API does.

Jean

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
for serious cheapskates Oct 12, 2017

Incidentally, for serious cheapskates, you can combine this script with CafeTran's pretty good support for DeepL, which is also free, and thus end up with two of the best MT engines in yr CAT tool for free.

And btw, for the paranoid among us, CafeTran now allows you to easily mask any confidential info before sending it to MT engines. This can be used with any of the MT engines built into CafeTran, meaning you define confidential stuff as such (which is as easy as selecting a term a
... See more
Incidentally, for serious cheapskates, you can combine this script with CafeTran's pretty good support for DeepL, which is also free, and thus end up with two of the best MT engines in yr CAT tool for free.

And btw, for the paranoid among us, CafeTran now allows you to easily mask any confidential info before sending it to MT engines. This can be used with any of the MT engines built into CafeTran, meaning you define confidential stuff as such (which is as easy as selecting a term and pressing a keyboard shortcut; all the confidential stuff is saved in the txt file for "non-translatable fragments"), and CafeTran sends coded versions of the masked terms/phrases instead. Thus: a segment like:

"The lighting modules that Sony designed for the building are reminiscent of Chinese lanterns."
gets sent as:
"The lighting modules that AAAABB designed for the building are reminiscent of Chinese lanterns."

However, CafeTran obviously converts the masked entities back to the originals in yr target segment, so you end up with the original confidential terms.

Capture

https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/6000051313
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
It works. Definitely. Oct 13, 2017

Gerard de Noord wrote:

I clicked but nothing happened.

(1) Click "Add" to add a data source (= Google Translate or what have you), (2) click Properties (= properties of that data source), (3) Enter www.google.com at URL 1 (= the starting point for all Google services), (4) Click the wizard (= flashing green button to the right of URL 1), (5) follow the wizard's simple instructions.

Maybe you're not as smart as the script Michael found on the Internet.

Unfortunately I'm not smart at all. That's why I had to click User Guide in the first place.

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:06
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Intelliwebsearch Oct 13, 2017

Hi everyone,

Try this: http://www.intelliwebsearch.com/

I use it all the time, the free version, to search GT, Google NL in Dutch language only, Linguee, 2Lingual, any site you set up to be searched (provided they have a search box
... See more
Hi everyone,

Try this: http://www.intelliwebsearch.com/

I use it all the time, the free version, to search GT, Google NL in Dutch language only, Linguee, 2Lingual, any site you set up to be searched (provided they have a search box).
http://www.intelliwebsearch.com/version-3/

You can select multiple keys on your keypad to do a search with selected text.
This greatly speeds up doing research, and yes, searching GT this way is also free.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:06
English to Russian
Maybe I miss something... Oct 13, 2017

Why you may need to have a translation in a tooltip? Can you use it in any way other than looking at it in the tooltip? Is it only for GT?
Am I asking just because I feel like I miss something important about it.

QTranslate (https://quest-app.appspot.com/) uses 9 translation engines:
Google Translate
Bing Translator
Promt
Babylon
SDL FreeTranslation.com... See more
Why you may need to have a translation in a tooltip? Can you use it in any way other than looking at it in the tooltip? Is it only for GT?

Google Translate
Bing Translator
Promt
Babylon
SDL FreeTranslation.com
Yandex.Translate
youdao
Baidu
Naver
and also includes speech recognition feature, etc.

Umm... What's the catch?
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the Google Translate translation is stored on your clipboard Oct 13, 2017

Stepan Konev wrote:

Google Translate
Bing Translator
Promt
Babylon
SDL FreeTranslation.com
Yandex.Translate
youdao
Baidu
Naver
and also includes speech recognition feature, etc.

Umm... What's the catch?

In this particular script, the Google Translate translation is stored on your clipboard, so by pressing Ctrl+V it can be inserted into your target box (or elsewhere).

Note that I just posted this as I thought it might be useful for further tinkering. Myself I am currently happy with GT4T (https://gt4t.net/en/ ).

Thanks for the QTranslate tip. Looks interesting, although I prefer how GT4T shows all 5 different MT engines in a neat little list, which you can choose from by pressing a number or with yr arrow keys.

[Edited at 2017-10-13 23:27 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:06
English to Russian
I got it now. Oct 13, 2017

There was no irony in my question. Just misunderstood. Now I got it.

From video presentation on GT4T website, I found that it does exactly the same as QTranslate. Except that there is no 'Buy' button for QTranslate. (For real cheapskates )

Thank you and others for sharing your useful resources.

@Rolf Keller
I don't think Gerard de Noord meant to be rude in such a direct and obvious mann
... See more
There was no irony in my question. Just misunderstood. Now I got it.

From video presentation on GT4T website, I found that it does exactly the same as QTranslate. Except that there is no 'Buy' button for QTranslate. (For real cheapskates )

Thank you and others for sharing your useful resources.

@Rolf Keller
I don't think Gerard de Noord meant to be rude in such a direct and obvious manner. Most probably this is because of his/her command of the English language that needs improvement. If I were you, I would read it as "According to me best noledge, I'm cant use your solution so far."
Have a nice day/night/whatever =)

[Edited at 2017-10-14 00:48 GMT]
Collapse

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 01:06
English to Chinese
+ ...
GT4T is for translators Oct 14, 2017

GT4T is specifically designed to meet translator's needs. The other programs may not do the following:

1. Show alternative translations from DeepL and insert translations of your choice with ease.

2. Show results from 5 engines at the same time. Notice there is no obviously more lag as MT engines are queried at the same time, not one after another.

3. Show dictionary results anywhere and insert your choice with number button or up/down arrows or mouse click

All these features can be access anywhere by selecting and then hitting different keyboard shortcuts.

[Edited at 2017-10-14 06:45 GMT]

stevecody
stevecody
Netherlands
Tip to Google Translate from Clickable Pictures With Autohotkey Scripts on Desktop Computer Nov 2, 2017

Steve Cody wrote:

If you like this then you will like this Tip, to do a Google Translate from Clickable Pictures With Autohotkey Scripts.

With Buttoncommander Software (30 days trial) you can make clickable Flags images, these pictures can execute the autohotkey translate codelines.

You can also select any text, everwhere on the Windows Desktop System.
The differency is, you can instead of pressing a keyboard shortcuts combination .
You can Push the buttons on the screen with your mouse or touch device,
and the computer find (automatic) out what browser it must use and where it can do the google translation with query parameters.

for more info, look to Homepage http://www.buttoncommander.com/

translation Toolbar on Surface tablet

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

AutoHotkey script to use Google Translate for free (for cheapskates)!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »