Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What's the most user-friendly CAT software?
Thread poster: Charlotte Fleming
Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:46
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
work on the files using Wordfast Oct 8, 2018

Colleen Roach, Ph.D. wrote:

Marjolein: You wrote: "Although there are many clients requiring Trados, I find I can usually work with Trados packages and files."
What do you mean -- that you can "work with" Trados using other software packages you have, or you've found you don't need trados? Thank you.

[Edited at 2018-10-05 16:26 GMT]

Hi Colleen,

I can usually work on the files they send me (Trados package or sdlxliff files) in Wordfast.
Any TMs (sdltm) can be converted to XTM and then to a Wordfast-compatible text file (via wfconverter and/or olifant).

As for Memsource, I agree it is user-friendly but I have not worked out how to keep the TM generated, to use in future (related) translations. That said, I only work in Memsource when clients have set the project up in Memsource.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Charlotte Oct 8, 2018

Charlotte Fleming wrote:
I've started off using OmegaT but I find it really clunky and unintuitive

It is likely that you'll have the same experience with other CAT tools. Some aspects of all CAT tools are only "intuitive" to those who already know what it is that they're looking for. If you're new to CAT tools, then many of the features that we are "used to" will seem unintuitive to you.

I also followed their instructions for downloading a dictionary but they didn't seem to work.

If you ask a question about that in the OmegaT forum here at ProZ.com or on the Yahoogroup, we may be able to help you. Many CAT tools require a bit of tinkering to set things up.

What (preferably low-priced) CAT software do more experienced members recommend?

OmegaT is the only full-featured low-priced offline non-abandonware CAT tool out there. (Metatexis possibly too, depending on which version you buy.) There are also a number of free or cheap web-based CAT tools (e.g. Wordfast Anywhere, etc... I forget their names). Some CAT tools also allow slightly limited use in an unpaid version (e.g. Wordfast Classic/Pro). Some CAT tools used to be paid but are now free because they have been abandoned (e.g. Felix).

I've looked in the Translation Tools drop-down menu and there's plenty of choice but no info to base a decision on.

Yeah, that drop-down menu is just an advertisement from ProZ.com on behalf of those CAT tools. You can see that if you click any of the tools in the list -- it simply takes you to each CAT tool's web site.

Or should I just uninstall/reinstall OmegaT and persevere with it?

I suggest persevering with it for a while longer. If you can't persevere with OmegaT, you might not be able to persevere with any other CAT tool either.

[Edited at 2018-10-08 09:20 GMT]

Dan Lucas

Charlotte Fleming
Charlotte Fleming  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:46
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 8, 2018

Thank you, especially Samuel Murray for very thorough advice. I will investigate the OmegaT forum and see if I can sort out the glitches.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Further comment about Wordfast trial version Oct 9, 2018

Marjolein Snippe wrote:

I find Wordfast user friendly and intuitive; I started using Wordfast Classic but switched to Wordfast Pro after a few months. I still use WF pro 3 though, as I found version 5 less intuitive so have still not got round to using it. There is a freeware/test version you can use to see whether you are happy with this CAT tool.

I am happy with Wordfast and like it enough to have renewed the licence twice now. I wanted to point out that the trial version is a lot slower than the paid version - I observed this when I spent three days before getting round to renewing my licence last week.

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 05:46
English to Russian
+ ...
MemSource and MemSource Cloud for me Oct 9, 2018

If only you knew the magnitude of my hate and rejection of CATs for decades, Trados especially, you'd probably have a bit more trust in my preference:-). I was a stubborn dinosaur for a very long time, and remain as such for certain jobs. It took the incredibly simple and user-friendly CAT, my dear MemSource, to make me surrender. I haven't tried MemoQ but heard that those are pretty close.

I do not even decline the offers to work online anymore because I have a chance to see the e
... See more
If only you knew the magnitude of my hate and rejection of CATs for decades, Trados especially, you'd probably have a bit more trust in my preference:-). I was a stubborn dinosaur for a very long time, and remain as such for certain jobs. It took the incredibly simple and user-friendly CAT, my dear MemSource, to make me surrender. I haven't tried MemoQ but heard that those are pretty close.

I do not even decline the offers to work online anymore because I have a chance to see the entire project termbase and occasional already edited paragraphs, if any. When I see that the segment was already "signed" by the editor of the project, I accept it without a second thought and guess what? Still get paid for a full target word count. Mmmm... I must mention that usually I know the entire team or most of them, and the editors.

You do not have to show your unfinished work to the rest of the bunch until you decide that you are done and ready by changing a red cross to a green check mark. I have no idea if the other CATs offer the same luxury when working online. Other than MemSource, I am utterly ignorant about other CATs, save a few frustrating trials.
Collapse

Colleen Roach, PhD
Colleen Roach, PhD  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:46
French to English
+ ...
Marajolein Snippe: Thanks/Trados&Wordfast Oct 9, 2018

Marjolein: Thanks for getting back to me on this! Colleen

Marjolein Snippe wrote:
Hi Colleen,

I can usually work on the files they send me (Trados package or sdlxliff files) in Wordfast.
Any TMs (sdltm) can be converted to XTM and then to a Wordfast-compatible text file (via wfconverter and/or olifant).

As for Memsource, I agree it is user-friendly but I have not worked out how to keep the TM generated, to use in future (related) transl
... See more
Marjolein: Thanks for getting back to me on this! Colleen

Marjolein Snippe wrote:
Hi Colleen,

As for Memsource, I agree it is user-friendly but I have not worked out how to keep the TM generated, to use in future (related) translations. That said, I only work in Memsource when clients have set the project up in Memsource.

Colleen Roach, Ph.D. wrote:

Marjolein: You wrote: "Although there are many clients requiring Trados, I find I can usually work with Trados packages and files."What do you mean -- that you can "work with" Trados using other software packages you have, or you've found you don't need trados? Thank you.

[Edited at 2018-10-05 16:26 GMT
Collapse

Marija Grinevičiūtė
Marija Grinevičiūtė
Lithuania
Local time: 12:46
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
SmartCAT Oct 18, 2018

You mentioned you'd like a low-cost CAT tool so I suggest you trying out an open-source online-based SmartCAT. I find working with it very simple and well-functioning. I couldn't notice many flaws about it either. I think you may give it a try

Matheus Chaud
Matheus Chaud  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...

Lilt Oct 19, 2018

I tried Lilt some time ago and I was positively surprised. It's simple, friendly and it seems to be a great choice for users who are entering the universe of CAT tools. And it's online, which is great too.
As a Trados user, I missed several advanced features, but that should not be a problem if you want a simpler tool. Just give it a try! You may like it.

Since most CAT tools offer free trial periods, I think you should use many of them and see which one you like the most. As
... See more
I tried Lilt some time ago and I was positively surprised. It's simple, friendly and it seems to be a great choice for users who are entering the universe of CAT tools. And it's online, which is great too.
As a Trados user, I missed several advanced features, but that should not be a problem if you want a simpler tool. Just give it a try! You may like it.

Since most CAT tools offer free trial periods, I think you should use many of them and see which one you like the most. As some of our colleagues already said, this is a very personal decision.

Good luck!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's the most user-friendly CAT software?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »