SDL Trados benefits for Urdu (or Arabic/Persian)
Thread poster: Qudsia Lone
Qudsia Lone
Qudsia Lone  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:17
Urdu to English
+ ...
Jun 18, 2009

Hello,

I was wondering if an Urdu-English translator specifically, or someone dealing with translations between English and another language using Arabic script (Arabic, Persian), give me some feedback regarding the benefits of using SDL Trados. Please mention any Pros and Cons you have experienced, as well as the Trados version you use. Thankyou.

Lenguamundo
Lenguamundo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:17
Member (2007)
Spanish to Urdu
+ ...
Using Trados Jul 20, 2009

Hi Qudsia,
I have been using trados since a long.
The benefit of using Trados is that you can avoid translation of the same segments again and again. Sometimes, when you clean the file after the job is done, you can find a broken text problem, but you can fix this using the option "Fix broken text" in word 2003. Mostly the Urdu translators avoid to work in Trados but if you have good command and knowledge about what to do then it can be very useful tool for you.
Another problem
... See more
Hi Qudsia,
I have been using trados since a long.
The benefit of using Trados is that you can avoid translation of the same segments again and again. Sometimes, when you clean the file after the job is done, you can find a broken text problem, but you can fix this using the option "Fix broken text" in word 2003. Mostly the Urdu translators avoid to work in Trados but if you have good command and knowledge about what to do then it can be very useful tool for you.
Another problem is with the font settings but also this can be solve once the job is done.
Collapse

Qudsia Lone
United States
Urdu to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 12, 2009

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Do you have any experience with the 2009 TRADOS product? I read some comments that one cannot use it with the Word format and there are issues with converting the files back to Word format.

Haris Ali Dogar
Haris Ali Dogar  Identity Verified
Pakistan
Local time: 09:17
English to Urdu
+ ...
Fix broken text Nov 30, 2009

Please tell me how can I fix the broken text while using Word 2007 ??

Qudsia Lone
United States
Urdu to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Broken Text Nov 30, 2009

Harisali I don't know the answer to your question, but have you tried looking it up in the help section of Word 2007? If Word 2003 has a feature to fix the problem, 2007 should as well.

Lenguamundo
Lenguamundo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:17
Member (2007)
Spanish to Urdu
+ ...
Broken text Nov 26, 2010

Hi guys.
I don't know if I am on time. It seems a year late.
better late than never!!
Word 2007 has no option to repair the broken text.
Use 2003 option fix broken text.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

SDL Trados benefits for Urdu (or Arabic/Persian)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »