Why American English Depends on Slangs?
Thread poster: BABANA
BABANA
BABANA
Urdu to English
Nov 7, 2007

Assalam o Alaikum,

Brothers and Sisters, can i know that,
Why Americans use Slangs in thier day to day life?
Grammeticly its correct or not?
I hope that some discussion will be share, here from
other members, who are thinking about it, also.

Thank you
ALLAH Hafiz.

abufaraz
abufaraz
Pakistan
Local time: 17:05
English to Urdu
+ ...
Language and Culture Nov 12, 2007

Wa allaikum us Salam !!

The dictionary meanings of the word 'Slang' are as under:

" A kind of language occurring chiefly in casual and playful speech, made up typically of short-lived coinages and figures of speech that are deliberately used in place of standard terms for added raciness, humor, irreverence, or other effect. "

Now, in my opinion, the use of slangs in the day to day conversation is very much related to the culture and the norms and mores of a
... See more
Wa allaikum us Salam !!

The dictionary meanings of the word 'Slang' are as under:

" A kind of language occurring chiefly in casual and playful speech, made up typically of short-lived coinages and figures of speech that are deliberately used in place of standard terms for added raciness, humor, irreverence, or other effect. "

Now, in my opinion, the use of slangs in the day to day conversation is very much related to the culture and the norms and mores of a particular society. American society, as you know, is a multicultural society having such ethics of life which are altogether different from us - the people living in the East. The commonly spoken English language over there does not follow any precise grammatical rules also, owing to multi ethnic population. It is quite different from the language spoken in England.

In Urdu too, the literary language is different from the common language spoken in our daily lives. In ancient Urdu
(and in some situations still), there are two styles for spoken Urdu 'Dhelvi' and 'Lakhnavi'. Leaving both aside, there was another style in Delhi called 'karkhandari' which consisted of too many slangs. Apart from this 'Slanged Urdu' is much common in densely populated cosmopolitan cities like Karachi, Bombay, Delhi and Lahore like English slangs are more common in New York, London, Chicago, Los angles etc.

I short, you can't get rid of slangs during the use of any day to day language.
Collapse

BABANA
BABANA
Urdu to English
TOPIC STARTER
اَبُو ریاض بھائی جان Dec 2, 2007

السلٌامُ عَلیکُم

شُکریہ! بھائی جان، آپ نے روز مرہ زندگی میں
انگریزی سمیت اُردُو زُبان میں موجُود مہملات کے
بارے میں تفصیل سے آگاھی دی۔

آپ نے درست فرمایا کہ اِس رائج صُورتِ حال کو
مدٌِ نظر رکھنا ھی ھوگا۔
بِالخُصوص، امریکہ میں مُقیم ھونے کی صُورت میں
زُبان کی مذکُورہ حالت کا سامنا کرنا ھوگا۔

اللہ پاک آپ کو سلامت رکھے۔ آمین ربٌ اُلعالمین!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Why American English Depends on Slangs?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »