Disappearing Project and TM lists in Wordfast Pro 3
Thread poster: Fiona MacMillan
Fiona MacMillan
Fiona MacMillan  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Nov 14, 2016

Hi.
This morning I opened Wordfast Pro 3 to find that all my Project lists and TM lists had disappeared. As if the last 2 year’s work had evaporated or Wordfast just isn’t connecting to my profile. Wordfast support has just sent a mail saying that I should search for ‘C:\Users\YourUserName\.wf_workspace’. I don’t understand what they are asking me to do and they are not replying. Can anyone give me any advice as to how to recover my files?
Many thanks in advance, Fiona

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:57
Member (2006)
French to English
Projects are located in .wf_workspace Nov 14, 2016

Fiona MacMillan wrote:

Hi.
This morning I opened Wordfast Pro 3 to find that all my Project lists and TM lists had disappeared. As if the last 2 year’s work had evaporated or Wordfast just isn’t connecting to my profile. Wordfast support has just sent a mail saying that I should search for ‘C:\Users\YourUserName\.wf_workspace’. I don’t understand what they are asking me to do and they are not replying. Can anyone give me any advice as to how to recover my files?

Dear Fiona,

Project files, glossaries, etc. are located in the .wf_workspace folder. Maybe this got deleted or moved?

I imagine you are on a PC since they specified the file path using C:\…
This is where it would be on a Mac: http://www.screencast.com/t/TEhIFc4DVSA

TMs and glossaries are the most important thing and your TMs are located in the place where you chose to save them initially. Glossaries are in the workspace folder (in the glossaries subfolder).

Kind regards,

John

Fiona MacMillan
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
How to locate the wf workspace file Nov 14, 2016

Hi John, thanks for replying and yes I'm on a PC. I haven't moved a thing but can't find this file (how do I find it?) And if/when I do, how does that help me? What do I do with it? My TMs are all individually right where I saved them but that doesn't help me. I can't open a project. Wordfast no longer even recognises which language pair I use. Everything is blank. Sorry, I'm not technically minded. Fiona

Hedwig Spitzer (X)
Hedwig Spitzer (X)  Identity Verified
Peru
French to Spanish
+ ...
It's not a file, it is a folder Nov 14, 2016

Hello Fiona,

Check the folder John indicated on the path he gave you. It is the only solution. It is not a file, it is a folder with plenty files in it. Those are your project files.

You must click on My PC, then Disk C:, then the folder Users and so on. That is the path.

Hope this helps.

Fiona MacMillan
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
How to connect my Projects & TMs back to Wordfast Nov 15, 2016

Thanks very much Hedwig.
I've found my Project files and TMs folders and reinstalled Wordfast. However, I can create a new Project but not open any existing Projects or TMs to Wordfast (or I can't see how). Now I've found the files, any advice on what I do next to get them functioning in Wordfast again?

Reginaldo Francisco
Reginaldo Francisco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:57
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Solved? Jan 13, 2017

Fiona MacMillan wrote:

Thanks very much Hedwig.
I've found my Project files and TMs folders and reinstalled Wordfast. However, I can create a new Project but not open any existing Projects or TMs to Wordfast (or I can't see how). Now I've found the files, any advice on what I do next to get them functioning in Wordfast again?

Hi Fiona,

Have you managed to solve this?
When you found your Projects files, were they at C:\Users\YourUserName\.wf_workspace, that is, inside .wf_workspace folder?

Kind regards,

Reginaldo

L. Petriconi
L. Petriconi
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
How to connect the folder with the program? Dec 22, 2017

Hi there,

am experiencing exactly the same problem. All project data are in the folder, C:\Users\YourUserName\.wf_workspace, but the program does not see them, means, I can create a new project or glossary, but cannot import the existing.

Am using Win 10 and WF Pro 3.4.12

I reinstalled WF Pro, but the program is like being cleaned up and seems to have no connection to the folder C:\Users\YourUserName\.wf_workspace

I can import the TM, but no ex
... See more
Hi there,

am experiencing exactly the same problem. All project data are in the folder, C:\Users\YourUserName\.wf_workspace, but the program does not see them, means, I can create a new project or glossary, but cannot import the existing.

Am using Win 10 and WF Pro 3.4.12

I reinstalled WF Pro, but the program is like being cleaned up and seems to have no connection to the folder C:\Users\YourUserName\.wf_workspace

I can import the TM, but no existing glossary and cannot open an existing project from the folder.

Any solution for this?

Many thanks

Lolita
Collapse

naominorberg (X)
naominorberg (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Same problem in Wordfast Pro 5 Feb 19, 2019

I am having the same problem (disappearing project) in Wordfast Pro 5 today. I finished a project on Friday, used it to analyze a new project to be started today (Tuesday) but whoops, the project I finished on Friday is gone and there is no .wf_workspace folder to be found on my Mac. Fortunately I can open the TXLF that was created when I did the analysis, but I sure would like to have the original project file and TM.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disappearing Project and TM lists in Wordfast Pro 3

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »