Thread poster: Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:33
French to English
Oct 19, 2018

Hello,

I use WF Pro 5 most of the time. I don't have any DTP software at all, I am just vaguely familiar with translation workflow involving InDesign/AI files.

I have a client who was previously sending me idml files, which was great.

I'm not sure why, but now they have switched to QuarkXpress (I don't know what version) and seem to be unable to export something to me that I can use. It's essential for me to leverage my TM as there are matches among their f
... See more
Hello,

I use WF Pro 5 most of the time. I don't have any DTP software at all, I am just vaguely familiar with translation workflow involving InDesign/AI files.

I have a client who was previously sending me idml files, which was great.

I'm not sure why, but now they have switched to QuarkXpress (I don't know what version) and seem to be unable to export something to me that I can use. It's essential for me to leverage my TM as there are matches among their files.

1) One of the Quark files was converted from pdf to word (!!) and translated by someone else, I am doing the proofreading in bilingual table format which is ok, but the client has already seen the unproofed word file (a hundred pages of a BIG mess!) and was not happy with it, it's going to be a lot of work for them to put it all back in Quark (lots of images etc). I wish there was some way I could start over from a tagged file like idml and just leverage the TM for the whole thing (I would probably have to rework a lot of tags....) and send them back a proofed file that just needs to be reimported into Quark and then with some minor tweaks, can go to print.

2) A new set of Quark files was provided to me for evaluation to see how many reps there are. I have them in pdf, qxp, and ai (a single ai file for each page of the document). None of these formats is suitable for WF Pro.... my question is... can someone who has InDesign take those ai files and export them to idml?

How do you handle QuarkXpress files in general... I have done some reading and saw some advice about CopyFlow and some other things like Story Collector etc.

I also realize that Trados is compatible with Quark files... should I get Trados (not what I want to do!) or find some workaround with a colleague who uses it...

What would you do?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice on handling QuarkXpress files

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »