Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:23
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 18, 2020

Where does WF Pro 5 store all the different files such as TMs and TXLFs?

I know this sounds like a basic question, but compared to WF Pro 3 it gets very complicated.

My system for working on a project is to put my source and target files in one path (e.g. C:/translations/client/project) and my TMs in another folder (e.g. C:/translations/TMs/client).

WF Pro 5 puts important files in some sub-sub-sub folder that I can't find easily and is far away from where
... See more

I know this sounds like a basic question, but compared to WF Pro 3 it gets very complicated.

My system for working on a project is to put my source and target files in one path (e.g. C:/translations/client/project) and my TMs in another folder (e.g. C:/translations/TMs/client).

WF Pro 5 puts important files in some sub-sub-sub folder that I can't find easily and is far away from where I really want them.

I also can't find the cleaned file. When I do a cleanup it seems that everything went fine, but I can't find the translated file.

Can someone shed some light on this for me?

[Edited at 2020-09-18 14:20 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Edward Sep 18, 2020

Edward Potter wrote:

In WFP3, a "project" was nothing more than a set of settings, but in WFP5 (as in e.g. Trados and OmegaT) a project is a specific set of folders and subfolders. You can choose the location of the project when you create it, but you can't move it from there. The TXLF files are in a subfolder of subfolder of that folder.

WFP5 TMs are, I believe (I suspect), not a single file but rather a set of folders with files and subfolders with files. This makes it very difficult to deal with TMs in WFP5. I'm not sure if you can move these TMs around. Again, you can choose the location of the top-level folder when you create a new TM.

The default location is somewhere, somewhere... perhaps My Documents... but I created a folder on my Desktop called "WFP5 Files" and then use that as the base location for all projects and TMs. When I complete a project, I zip it up.

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
File locations Sep 18, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Edward Potter wrote:

In WFP3, a "project" was nothing more than a set of settings, but in WFP5 (as in e.g. Trados and OmegaT) a project is a specific set of folders and subfolders. You can choose the location of the project when you create it, but you can't move it from there. The TXLF files are in a subfolder of subfolder of that folder.

WFP5 TMs are, I believe (I suspect), not a single file but rather a set of folders with files and subfolders with files. This makes it very difficult to deal with TMs in WFP5. I'm not sure if you can move these TMs around. Again, you can choose the location of the top-level folder when you create a new TM.

The default location is somewhere, somewhere... perhaps My Documents... but I created a folder on my Desktop called "WFP5 Files" and then use that as the base location for all projects and TMs. When I complete a project, I zip it up.

Thank you for your reply, Samuel.

I've been wracking my brains over this all morning. I have been using WF Pro 3 for years and now I'm supposed to go through a new learning curve. So far, I'm not impressed.

Here's what I needed to do today: receive a TXLF file (one that I created before), check it, then send a TMX and the translated Word file to my client. Somehow I a usable file to send to the client (an SDLXLIFF file). As of right now I STILL have not found the the Word file generated by WF Pro 5. I finally generated a TMX file, somehow located it, then imported it into WF Pro 3.

In WF Pro 3 only about 80% of the target column was populated, i.e. about 20% of the segments were blank. I did a cleanup, then started copying/pasting the missing translated segments out of the WF Pro 5 file into the cleaned Word file.

Yuck. But yuck. Big yuck.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where does WF Pro 5 store everything?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »