MS Word for translators: Find and replace features and other tips and tricks (by Attila Piróth)
MS Word: Find and replace features and other tips and tricks (by Attila Piróth)
This webinar gives a systematic overview of MS Word's versatile "Find and replace" function and how it can be used for file preparation. By following over 30 exercises, attendees will get a firm grip of how (and when) to use formatting, styles, special characters, and wildcards in F/R operations. Attendees will also learn to create macros, and learn a handful of other useful tips and tricks. Using these techniques in the file preparation phase, freelance translators and project managers can save time and ensure a higher level of consistency during translation.
Examples will be shown using Word 2002 -- the same techniques are readily adaptable to higher versions.
1. MS Word's find and replace function
• F/R: basics
• F/R using formatting
• F/R using styles (outlook: the importance of styles; some typographic considerations)
• F/R using special characters
• F/R using wildcards
• Further tips and tricks
2. Conversion between text and table
• A close look at the tmx format as well as Wordfast's TM and glossary formats
• Examples where conversion between text and table can save a lot of time
• Typical scenarios in which the text contains non-translatable parts
• Preparation of the source text in order to separate non-translatable parts ("tagging")
• Demonstratrion of the power of tagging using Wordfast
• Introduction to macros
• Creation of a short macro
• Tips on when and how to create your own macro
5. Questions and answers
• Get a thorough overview of what Word’s Find and replace function can do and how to look for additional information
• Make a word count in a file containing highlighted non-translatable text
• Change the formatting of particular character string types
• Prepare a source file for translation by clearly indicating the terms that appear in the glossary
• Understand the advantages of using and customizing styles
• Learn how to manipulate line breaks, tabs, and other special characters
• Convert a semicolon delimited text into a two-column table
• Understand the importance and advantages of tagging
• Tag a simple file to protect codes (and exclude them from translation)
• Tag a simple HTML file manually
• Understand the basics of macros
• Create an own macro for quality control purposes
The webinar presents file preparation techniques which can be useful for freelance translators and project managers alike. Beginner-level users of Word will be able to follow the webinar without problems -- but even expert-level users are expected to learn a good deal of useful tips. The material covered in the webinar will be made available for attendees, so they can do the exercises for themselves -- after (or during) the session.
Click to expand
Beginner-level familiarity with MS Word
Registration & payment information
Click to expand
Click on the buy button on the right to purchase your seat
How do I register?
To register in this session please click on the "sign up now" button on the right. Your status will be marked as "registered" and it will indicate only your interest in the training session. Status changes to registered and paid when payment is processed and informed to ProZ.com.
How do I purchase my spot?
To purchase your seat at this session please click on the "buy" button. Available slots are limited and will be assigned to registered and paid participants as soon as payment is reported. Early payment is advised in order to secure participation. Allow some time for payment processing if you are paying by wire transfer.
After your payment is received, your status will be changed to “registered and paid” and your spot for the session will be secured. An invoice and receipt of payment will be sent to you for your records.
Payment in local currency is available in some countries. Please click here to learn more about this option.
How do I access the online platform?
72 hours before the training session takes place, you will receive an invitation to join the session. Please, click the registration link or button provided in the invitation email and complete the registration form.
IMPORTANT: Make sure you use the same contact information - name and email- you entered in your ProZ.com profile to allow identification.
Participants should not delay in making payments to ensure classes are not canceled due to low enrollment. We suggest then you purchase your spot as soon as possible.
Attila Piróth View feedback | View all courses
Comments about this course