Wordfast 5.1 - Using same TM for EN-GB and EN-US projects
Thread poster: momolja (X)
momolja (X)
momolja (X)
United Kingdom
Sep 7, 2017

I've just started using WfPro 5.1 (moving straight from 3.4.1).

I translate into English, and projects vary between requiring UK or US English. I need to be able to use the same TM for either, and this wasn't a problem with Wf 3.

If I now try to use my TM (set to EN-GB as target language) for an EN-US project in Wf 5.1 I get a complaint and the TM is disabled.

Anyone have the same problem? Am I missing something obvious here, or is there a workaround if
... See more
I've just started using WfPro 5.1 (moving straight from 3.4.1).

I translate into English, and projects vary between requiring UK or US English. I need to be able to use the same TM for either, and this wasn't a problem with Wf 3.

If I now try to use my TM (set to EN-GB as target language) for an EN-US project in Wf 5.1 I get a complaint and the TM is disabled.

Anyone have the same problem? Am I missing something obvious here, or is there a workaround if not?
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:05
English to French
+ ...
Just EN Sep 7, 2017

Have you tried changing the TM target language to plain-vanilla EN?

Or, duplicate your TM into an EN-US TM, and then use both of them for each job?

Then again, doing so will make spell-checking unreliable.

momolja (X)
momolja (X)
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Solved as below Sep 12, 2017

JL01 wrote:

Have you tried changing the TM target language to plain-vanilla EN?

Or, duplicate your TM into an EN-US TM, and then use both of them for each job?

Then again, doing so will make spell-checking unreliable.

This was the advice from Wordfast:
"In your case one solution would be to export the TM as TMX and then Find/Replace EN-GB locale with EN locale, then import the TM back to WF as EN locale TM inside EN-GB and EN-US target language projects. This way your TM is always EN and can be used in any country variant locale project like EN-US/EN-GB. This way your spellchecker is fine for the project."

I did that (export the TM to tmx format, open with text editor, replace EN-GB and EN-US with EN, save) and tried to import this back into Wordfast. At that point I got an error message about the header of the TM but I was able to resolve that using the WfClassic data editor (as per Wordfast Help page on error messages). I was then able to import this "plain vanilla" TM. The only other thing I had to make sure of was the project as such didn't already specify UK or US English as target but was just set for English.

Hopefully this should work now; I'll update on here if not.

Elene P.

Elene P.
Elene P.  Identity Verified
Georgia
Member (2007)
English to Georgian
+ ...
THANK YOU Jun 15, 2021

Thank you!!!! That worked Great relief

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast 5.1 - Using same TM for EN-GB and EN-US projects

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »