Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Warning: Possible new and very dangerous scam!
Thread poster: XX789 (X)
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:34
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
DAMMIT!!! May 10, 2009

Indeed, Proz was the way the scammer could know about our Paypal accounts!!! I have already asked Proz.com via support ticket to remove my Paypal information (which is rather old) from my profile. I cannot seem to be able to remove it with the Profile Updater.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Direct link to PAYPAL - A BIG MISTAKE!!!!!! May 10, 2009

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad wrote:
And back to the profile: The Proz people should change the Paypal function to make sure the email address does not show. I know this might be impossible, but as long as the spoofer use their time to browse through our profiles to "collect" money the current system is just not good enough.

INDEED!

PROZ staff, please!!!! How come do we have a direct link to our paypal account from our profile,EVEN IN THE VISITOR MODE!!!! THIS IS SIMPLY UNACCEPTABLE!! PLEASE REMOVE THAT IMMEDIATELY.

I should have noticed long ago!!!

[Edited at 2009-05-10 13:48 GMT]

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You took it wrong!! May 10, 2009

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad wrote:
And back to the profile: The Proz people should change the Paypal function to make sure the email address does not show. I know this might be impossible, but as long as the spoofer use their time to browse through our profiles to "collect" money the current system is just not good enough.

Apparently for them it is worth doing it!!! I strongly encourage everyone to remove their PayPal information from Proz. There is no reason why a customer cannot ask us for our Paypal account instead of accesing it via Proz.com.

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:34
English to Arabic
+ ...
It's up to each one of us to remove the information May 10, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Indeed, Proz was the way the scammer could know about our Paypal accounts!!! I have already asked Proz.com via support ticket to remove my Paypal information (which is rather old) from my profile. I cannot seem to be able to remove it with the Profile Updater.

It's an option given by the site, but if you don't want to make use of it, just remove the info from your page (it is to be found under the "RATES" section in your settings).

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Indeed May 10, 2009

Nesrin wrote:
I finally managed to remove my Paypal information now. Apparently it does not work in the Profile Updater.

All in all, I don't think it is a good idea to allow EVEN VISITORS to try to access our Paypal account... and seeing what email address we have in Paypal...

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:34
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Very scary May 10, 2009

Luckily, I haven't received any emails asking me for an outstanding invoice from the so-called "Mary" person, and I was wondering who could do this.

I'm surprised to find out that our email addresses used for Paypal are shown once you click Paypal on the Profile page, and that's very scary. I was thinking who could have done this, and before Ivan pointed out, I thought it was one of our people in the industry or people who have worked in the industry in the past, since it would be h
... See more
Luckily, I haven't received any emails asking me for an outstanding invoice from the so-called "Mary" person, and I was wondering who could do this.

I'm surprised to find out that our email addresses used for Paypal are shown once you click Paypal on the Profile page, and that's very scary. I was thinking who could have done this, and before Ivan pointed out, I thought it was one of our people in the industry or people who have worked in the industry in the past, since it would be hard for outsiders (i.e. people who work in different sectors or industries) don't know that some of us get paid via Paypal. So I suspected (honestly I didn't want to) that this was an insider job, but now my hypothesis doesn't work. Even a non-logged in visitor could access our profile and see our email accounts used for Paypal, and as Ivan also pointed out about Googling one's name + Paypal showing up, I too would like to ask the Proz staff to do something about this matter before someone falls victim to this scam.

Jared, would you kindly look into this matter immediately?
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:34
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
I've just submitted a support ticket to Jared May 10, 2009

I hope he will look into the matter immediately.

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
It is possbile to find them May 10, 2009

I think it is possible to find who dd it.
As we all know we can see some limited details about the visitors of our pages.
But the site can see and analıze them more deeply then us.
For example:
we only see ip addresses and countries.
But site can see their computer names and even some personal information.
Also site records their actions more detailed (what they did and where they clicked)

So I think the users who received those letters should in
... See more
I think it is possible to find who dd it.
As we all know we can see some limited details about the visitors of our pages.
But the site can see and analıze them more deeply then us.
For example:
we only see ip addresses and countries.
But site can see their computer names and even some personal information.
Also site records their actions more detailed (what they did and where they clicked)

So I think the users who received those letters should inform the site (proz) about exact time of those messages.

And please then announce this information here so everyone can began his/her own action.

If it is possible; please site staff, look back to the history of this ip (or similar ips)

Because this action is a crime and crime should be investigated more deeply in order to prove it.

[Edited at 2009-05-10 13:12 GMT]
Collapse

Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
Dutch to Albanian
+ ...
I wander what PayPal’s (re)action will be May 10, 2009

IMO the very "ask your money" function in PayPal is the cause of this.

Still can’t imagine what the use of that function can be. I never use this method to ask my money from my clients. No need for that. Even more, I think it is a bit offensive to receive a message from someone who has done a job for you, through PayPal, in which (s)he asks for his/her money. Before we accept any job for a client we have already send and received some email messages, haven’t we? People who work
... See more
IMO the very "ask your money" function in PayPal is the cause of this.

Still can’t imagine what the use of that function can be. I never use this method to ask my money from my clients. No need for that. Even more, I think it is a bit offensive to receive a message from someone who has done a job for you, through PayPal, in which (s)he asks for his/her money. Before we accept any job for a client we have already send and received some email messages, haven’t we? People who work for me can contact me directly and not through PayPal in order to settle our financial agreements.

Yesterday evening I sent a message to PayPal to remove the item which is the subject of this topic from my account overview, but they haven’t done so.

BTW, as far as I remember, I had to proceed to different checks of bank account number, address etc. before my PayPal account was ready for use.
Hope they have done the same checks with “Mary” and will undertake the necessary legal actions.

Regards,
Sherefedin
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just more comfort for the payer May 10, 2009

Sherefedin MUSTAFA wrote:
I think it is a bit offensive to receive a message from someone who has done a job for you, through PayPal, in which (s)he asks for his/her money.

I think there could be a cultural thing here: I think it's perfectly fine that our colleagues send a request for money. It makes my life easier when I have to pay someone, as I only have to click "Pay"!

A. Deb
A. Deb  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Me too May 10, 2009

Hi all

I just received the same message and shall be changing my ProZ profile so that my paypal address doesn't appear.

Whatever will these scammers think of next!

Ana

Andreas Nieckele
Andreas Nieckele  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:34
English to Portuguese
What's all the fuss? May 11, 2009

So what's the big deal with your paypal email being displayed on your profile? Besides these kinds of shenanigans (who falls for this, really?), I don't see any other possible harmful outcome.

And it seems like everyone received this message but me. I'm feeling SO unpopular...

Judith Lang
Judith Lang  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
I doubt if ProZ.com profile has anything to do with it! May 11, 2009

I received this email too on 9th May. Only discovered it this morning. When I checked on paypal, the info had already been deleted on 10th May by Paypal. So thanks for all the people who have reported this to Paypal!!!!

I then checked my PP info on my profile page. However, I apparently never changed my email address in the info, which is why Proz lists an email address that's out-of-use for at least 3 years! Furthermore, the mail was not directed to my current Paypal-address, but t
... See more
I received this email too on 9th May. Only discovered it this morning. When I checked on paypal, the info had already been deleted on 10th May by Paypal. So thanks for all the people who have reported this to Paypal!!!!

I then checked my PP info on my profile page. However, I apparently never changed my email address in the info, which is why Proz lists an email address that's out-of-use for at least 3 years! Furthermore, the mail was not directed to my current Paypal-address, but to my business address. This address is accessible/visible on my Proz.com profile, but that's also what I want, so that customers/translators can contact me directly.
Collapse

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Agree with Andreas. May 11, 2009

Andreas Nieckele wrote:

So what's the big deal with your paypal email being displayed on your profile? Besides these kinds of shenanigans (who falls for this, really?), I don't see any other possible harmful outcome.

And it seems like everyone received this message but me. I'm feeling SO unpopular...

I find it hard to imagine that somebody who is capable of speaking at least two languages and making a living for himself as a freelancer would be so naive that he would transfer a considerable amount of money to somebody he has never heard of before.
These scams obviously do and probably always will work, simply because a very small fraction of our population lacks any kind of education and common sense. For these kind of people these scams are indeed dangerous and I would feel sorry for them if they lost money.
However, I fail to see any threat to anybody working in our profession.

Oropesa
Oropesa
Polish to English
we also got it May 11, 2009

Loek van Kooten wrote:

I just got an official payment request from Paypal. It is not a fake:

Mxxxx Txxxxxxxxx ([email protected]) would like to be paid through PayPal.

Money Request Details
Amount: $317,20 USD
Event: COMPLETED TRANSLATION
Event Date: 9 May 2009
Note: IT WAS VERY NICE WORKING WITH YOU , YOU CAN PAY ME VIA PAYPAL

KIND REGARDS

Mxxx

===

Did anyone else get this?

Either this means that someone has been posing as other translators/agencies, or it means that someone is trying to get payments from freelancers/agencies by pretending that he/she worked for them, hoping that it won't be checked.

It goes without saying that I do not know this individual and that I have never worked with him/her.

Proz.com management, contact me for the e-mail address mentioned in the mail if you need more information.

[Edited at 2009-05-09 19:51 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Warning: Possible new and very dangerous scam!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »