Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
DVX3 - why do I need to do formatting???
Thread poster: NatM
Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 03:58
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Alternating row colours Feb 17, 2015

I'm talking about alternating row colours. In the grid, you right-click and select Customize appearance…

I have chosen a pale cream-yellow, so that it is subtle and doesn't clash with the blue or green highlighted terms and auto-translatables. If I could, I would make the background of the entire grid this colour: it would be much easier on the eyes, in the very same way that cream-coloured paper is easier on the eyes.
... See more
I'm talking about alternating row colours. In the grid, you right-click and select Customize appearance…

I have chosen a pale cream-yellow, so that it is subtle and doesn't clash with the blue or green highlighted terms and auto-translatables. If I could, I would make the background of the entire grid this colour: it would be much easier on the eyes, in the very same way that cream-coloured paper is easier on the eyes.

Have a look: Alternating row colours (external link)

As you can also see in the image, I have set my font to 13.5pt Cambria. I had to select the font only once, and then specify a font size for the grid and another one for the Translation Results pane. It's that simple. In DVX, I had to select the font four times and the size another four times (and I couldn't set the size to 13.5pt, only to either 13pt or 14pt—but I won't complain about that!).

[Edited at 2015-02-17 08:47 GMT]
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
now I see it Feb 17, 2015

I thought it was available only in Studio, but nice, at least it is optional in memoQ.

I don't like alternating row colours but they are better than the all white interface in DVX3.

For those who never used memoQ, the orange (sorry red) box I mentioned can be seen here: http://kilgray.com/memoq/2014R2/help-en/view_pane.png

I don't remember if th
... See more
I thought it was available only in Studio, but nice, at least it is optional in memoQ.

I don't like alternating row colours but they are better than the all white interface in DVX3.

For those who never used memoQ, the orange (sorry red) box I mentioned can be seen here: http://kilgray.com/memoq/2014R2/help-en/view_pane.png

I don't remember if the red box goes to source segment when cursor is in the source, but if implemented in DVX3, it should be (as there is no source protection in DVX3).
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Orange rectangle Feb 17, 2015

The orange rectangle indicates the active cell, so it follows your tabbing back and forth between source and target segment. And when you press Ctrl in order to select something from the "AutoPick" drop-down list, a blue rectangle shows around the source segment, providing a visual cue that something is going on there (you can see what each entry in the AutoPick list corresponds to). Plus, when you press F2 to edit the source segment, its background changes to green, so you are absolutely sure t... See more
The orange rectangle indicates the active cell, so it follows your tabbing back and forth between source and target segment. And when you press Ctrl in order to select something from the "AutoPick" drop-down list, a blue rectangle shows around the source segment, providing a visual cue that something is going on there (you can see what each entry in the AutoPick list corresponds to). Plus, when you press F2 to edit the source segment, its background changes to green, so you are absolutely sure that you can type in there. That's why they call it the "immersive editor".

But I'm sure that long-time DVX fans (not users, but fans) will dismiss these features as useless and unnecessary and propose that DVX stays exactly as it is now. I've never seen users as reluctant to change as DVX's fans! This keeps impressing me every time.

[Edited at 2015-02-17 09:29 GMT]
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
what about the ribbon :) Feb 17, 2015

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

The orange rectangle indicates the active cell, so it follows your tabbing back and forth between source and target segment. And when you press Ctrl in order to select something from the "AutoPick" drop-down list, a blue rectangle shows around the source segment, providing a visual cue that something is going on there (you can see what each entry in the AutoPick list corresponds to). Plus, when you press F2 to edit the source segment, its background changes to green, so you are absolutely sure that you can type in there. That's why they call it the "immersive editor".

Thanks for the detailed information, nice features.

But I'm sure that long-time DVX fans (not users, but fans) will dismiss these features as useless and unnecessary and propose that DVX stays exactly as it is now. I've never seen users as reluctant to change as DVX's fans! This keeps impressing me every time.

Well, many of the power users of DVX (X1, 2 or 3) switched from DV3 (DejaVu Interactive) to DVX only a few years ago. But what surprises me is the ribbon love among many DVX users.

Anyway, the formatting problem (personally don't think it is a problem) has been reported to Atril.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
About the ribbon Mar 16, 2015

I don't mind the ribbon. In fact, I prefer the ribbon in DVX to the one in memoQ: I don't quite get the logic behind the latter.

What would be the best approach, in my opinion, is to have a GUI like the one in Visual Studio: no ribbon, but lots of keyboard shortcuts, using so-called "chords" – for example, you hit Ctrl+K and then Ctrl+C to comment out a line of code. It sounds difficult at first, but it really is a good solution for an application with lots of functions, used by p
... See more
I don't mind the ribbon. In fact, I prefer the ribbon in DVX to the one in memoQ: I don't quite get the logic behind the latter.

What would be the best approach, in my opinion, is to have a GUI like the one in Visual Studio: no ribbon, but lots of keyboard shortcuts, using so-called "chords" – for example, you hit Ctrl+K and then Ctrl+C to comment out a line of code. It sounds difficult at first, but it really is a good solution for an application with lots of functions, used by people who type a lot and hate to have to grab the mouse for doing a click or two. DVX3 suffers in this respect: for example, the shortcut Ctrl+Shift+R has been assigned to two different things – I have reported the problem, but they have not fixed it. Shortcut chords would do away with such problems. And of course, related functions could be grouped in a logical way, by sharing the same first keyboard combination (the first 'note' of the chord): in Visual Studio, all shortcut chords related to formatting a line of code in the editor start with Ctrl+K.

[Edited at 2015-03-16 13:27 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DVX3 - why do I need to do formatting???

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »