Which word to use in United States courts?
Thread poster: hfp
hfp
hfp
United States
Local time: 18:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 11, 2008

These questions are for anyone who interprets in English and Spanish in the United States courts, or for anyone else who might know the answer. I recently used the KudoZ system to ask how to say "Business Law" in Spanish, and received a variety of answers from different countries, which left me uneasy.

If on the Federal Court Interpreter Certification Examination I am asked to say in Spanish "He studied Business Law.", are there several possible interpretations or just one? I am n
... See more
These questions are for anyone who interprets in English and Spanish in the United States courts, or for anyone else who might know the answer. I recently used the KudoZ system to ask how to say "Business Law" in Spanish, and received a variety of answers from different countries, which left me uneasy.

If on the Federal Court Interpreter Certification Examination I am asked to say in Spanish "He studied Business Law.", are there several possible interpretations or just one? I am not just referring to the subject "Business Law", but any word or subjects that can be translated in many different ways depending on the country. I always try to find the most standard translation possible, but at times, especially when referring to specific legal areas, this can be difficult.

In the US I imagine most of the monolingual Spanish speakers in court are from Mexico, and as a result, I would imagine that the word used in Mexico is by far the best, but what happens if the person you are interpreting for is from the Dominican Republic or El Salvador. How do you know which word is best?
Collapse

Professor Marty
Professor Marty
Spanish to English
Derecho Comercial Dec 12, 2008

In the US I would use Derecho Comercial or Ley Comercial. I think this is the more widely understood term.

Hope this helps!

Christina Courtright
Christina Courtright  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Regional variations are acceptable Dec 12, 2008

As to your larger question, the exam graders accept any regional variation of a particular term that can be documented. You will be exposed to a lot of regional variations as you work through the Acebo materials, as you have said you would in an earlier post.

hfp
hfp
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so much Dec 13, 2008

Thanks a lot, Professor Marty. Your translation helps a lot. Thanks to you too, Christina, you've really cleared up a big doubt of mine. You have a good memory also.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which word to use in United States courts?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »