Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32] >
Comprehensive KudoZ update released
Thread poster: Jason Grimes
Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:49
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Agree with Karlo Aug 19, 2005

This new design is sometimes very annoying.

Why can't we have only ONE link to search for vocabulary? It's too confusing for me now when I have to search for vocabulary and have got many links to go to. I think this will prevent some people from searching the glossaries before asking their questions.

The questions design is also too confusing. I hardly can't tell the difference between pro and non-pro questions, as well as closed and open questions.

I like
... See more
This new design is sometimes very annoying.

Why can't we have only ONE link to search for vocabulary? It's too confusing for me now when I have to search for vocabulary and have got many links to go to. I think this will prevent some people from searching the glossaries before asking their questions.

The questions design is also too confusing. I hardly can't tell the difference between pro and non-pro questions, as well as closed and open questions.

I like the Quick Polls, though.

I appreciate your efforts for making proz.com a better site, but right now it's quite confusing, in my opinion!

Best,
Ivana
Collapse

Сергей Лузан
Сергей Лузан
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:49
German to Russian
+ ...
New features Aug 19, 2005

Dear Jason,
it took quite a long time to enter into the following question:
KudoZ History: Questions answered
... OK. Apr 16 2003, Kabinettware, mercancías para armario (del peluquero), ... . ...
Date, Term asked, Answer provided, Points, Glossary. ...
www.kudoz.net/?sp=k_h& di
... See more
Dear Jason,
it took quite a long time to enter into the following question:
KudoZ History: Questions answered
... OK. Apr 16 2003, Kabinettware, mercancías para armario (del peluquero), ... . ...
Date, Term asked, Answer provided, Points, Glossary. ...
www.kudoz.net/?sp=k_h& disc=7&pair=deu_esl&eid_s=32539
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&as_qdr=all&q=%20Glossary%20"Kabinettware"&btnG=Search
I found it through google.com search, but failed to find it easily through the keyword "Kabinettware". I had to set ge-sp, and skipping from the last found it by date "Apr 16 2003". It was asked from no more existing KudoZ-net, probably that was the reason for such a long search. My fly in the ointment.
Regards
P.S. Tested new 'beta-design'. Couldn't get the idea of voting for 'good question', but voted anyway. It seems to contain too much information. Probably Karlo is right in that respect - better to keep the layout as simple as possible. It's worth consideration anyway.

[Edited at 2005-08-19 17:24]
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 03:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Restrictions Aug 19, 2005

When are these new rules coming into effect? I can still see that non-platinum members are asking questions, having more than 14 open today.

DocteurPC
DocteurPC  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:49
English to French
+ ...
New design/facilities and options in Proz and Kudoz Aug 19, 2005

I like many things in the new design.
Specific comments on specific sections:
1. Answer questions
many of the options on the starting menu such as :
choosing the font size (particularly when very tired... you need bigger fonts
choosing fields, categories, types of questions, questions from non professionals, etc... we can now really customize what we answer.
I will use the dashboard to block/fl
... See more
I like many things in the new design.
Specific comments on specific sections:
1. Answer questions
many of the options on the starting menu such as :
choosing the font size (particularly when very tired... you need bigger fonts
choosing fields, categories, types of questions, questions from non professionals, etc... we can now really customize what we answer.
I will use the dashboard to block/flag certain askers I was asking for that just yesterday.
I like the divisions between the questions - it's visually clear (clearer) than before
However, once you click on a question, it becomes confusing : there is too much information, even in the concise version and it's not clearly divided - dividing lines (like before) would help a lot. I think that nobody (almost nobody) will look at the advanced view when answering questions - who would have time to look/read all that. It'd nice if it were simply available on a click when needed.
2. IE entries while answering questions.
Before, in the list of IE windows opened, there was the the beginning words of the question, followed by Proz....
Now, it says simply : Translation services...
Since I often answer 2/3 or even 4 questions at the same time and since I also open other Proz IE windows, such as Profile and Web search... I have to click back and forth to find the "right one" that I want to go back to - lost of time and a bit frustrating.
3. Web search (previously Internet search)
Much improved! particularly the Kudoz' part. Before, almost each time we entered something, there was "no answer found" - now, maybe it's a little too "fuzzy search" with too many answers, but at least we find some info.
I'd love to be able to customize it to "my" search tools : GDT, yourdictionary... and save it with my preferences (if that's not asking too much).
It would save me from having 17 or 18 IE windows opened at the same time, which slows down the system.

Basically, great work and keep it up.
Collapse

Natalia Zudaire
Natalia Zudaire  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:49
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The best improvement so far! Aug 19, 2005

This little toolbar is the best you have made!
Thanks.

Natalia

pd: Two sugestions:
1) the ProZ logo should be clickable so it takes you to Proz homepage.
2) the bar should be 'moveable' i.e. we should be able to move it in order not to have so much blank space. I have the bookmarks bar with only 4 bookmarks, which leaves me hapf the bar unused, and I would like to place my KudoZ bar next to the bookmarks one. Is it possible? (I use Mozilla Fir
... See more
This little toolbar is the best you have made!
Thanks.

Natalia

pd: Two sugestions:
1) the ProZ logo should be clickable so it takes you to Proz homepage.
2) the bar should be 'moveable' i.e. we should be able to move it in order not to have so much blank space. I have the bookmarks bar with only 4 bookmarks, which leaves me hapf the bar unused, and I would like to place my KudoZ bar next to the bookmarks one. Is it possible? (I use Mozilla Firefox 1.71)

[Edited at 2005-10-29 16:47]
Collapse

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Choosing interest fields automatically includes specialty and working fields Aug 19, 2005

Jquote]Alya wrote:
Currently, in the Fields for e-mail notifications we can use EITHER My specialities, OR My working fields, OR My interest fields, OR All fields.

It would be really great if we could choose multiple fields: for example, if I want to receive notifications for the questions from My specialities AND My working fields AND My interest fields (or any combinations of such), but leave others alone.[/quote]

Hi Alya,

When choosing interest fie
... See more
Jquote]Alya wrote:
Currently, in the Fields for e-mail notifications we can use EITHER My specialities, OR My working fields, OR My interest fields, OR All fields.

It would be really great if we could choose multiple fields: for example, if I want to receive notifications for the questions from My specialities AND My working fields AND My interest fields (or any combinations of such), but leave others alone.[/quote]

Hi Alya,

When choosing interest fields for notifications, you are also automatically notified of specialty and working fields. When choosing working fields, you are also notified of specialty fields.

We have clarified this in the dashboard email preferences page.

Thanks for your comments.

Best regards,

Jason
Collapse

Heidi C
Heidi C  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Answering questions formats Aug 19, 2005

I love the new options in the Answer Page!!

The most important one: congratulations on including space for definition and context. In my answers I like to include that in the explanation when possible, and it is great that eventually (I suppose) you will add this info to the glossaries!!! I think this alone is the most important step in professionalizing the glossaries.

I also think it is great that you can specify so much more info (dialect, good question) It is great
... See more
I love the new options in the Answer Page!!

The most important one: congratulations on including space for definition and context. In my answers I like to include that in the explanation when possible, and it is great that eventually (I suppose) you will add this info to the glossaries!!! I think this alone is the most important step in professionalizing the glossaries.

I also think it is great that you can specify so much more info (dialect, good question) It is great that you can look at the other answers given on the same page when you are answering.
I also like that you can change the font size.

Some suggestions:
1. I would like to be able to see in the simplified view the answer summaries as before.

2. I feel that in the advanced view, the top box with all the info is too big and really does not include more info than the box in the V3 version. I think you could leave that view. I also like the previous colors instead of the white.

3. I’m not sure that the info of person’s country is truly informative. Maybe it would be better to include the native speaker icon there. There can be a problem if you live in one place, lived most of your life in another place, and are native speaker of somewhere else-example: My Spanish is Mexican though I live in Puerto Rico, and am also a native English speaker…)

Anyhow, congratulations on all the work done!!!!

Heidi
Collapse

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Jobs partial platinum does not count as platinum in KudoZ Aug 19, 2005

Walter Landesman wrote:
I am a Platinum since April 2005. However, when I try to see my STATS: "The KudoZ statistics page is a platinum only feature".
(?)

Hi Walter,

It appears that you are a "jobs platinum" member. Jobs platinum members receive platinum-level benefits only in the jobs area of the site. In the KudoZ area, platinum-level benefits are only provided to full platinum or "community platinum" members.

I hope this helps to clarify.

Best regards,

Jason

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Comprehensive KudoZ update released

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »