Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: Do you use a smartphone for work-related tasks?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 06:26
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
No, and I prefer to do without Feb 22, 2013

Those things can easily take over your life ... I have seen that happen too much!

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:26
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
thought about it Feb 22, 2013

I' ve often thought I'd like to get one to check my email when i'm out, but it's probably not very likely that I'd get a lot of emails. And like everyone else here,when I'm out, I'd rather take a break from being at my desk and from work related matters. Even if I'm working on the weekend, when I go to the gym or something, it's because I need to GET AWAY! This weekend for example....usually I'm contacted by email and i check it as soon as I get home. If I'm on public transit, I'd rather take a ... See more
I' ve often thought I'd like to get one to check my email when i'm out, but it's probably not very likely that I'd get a lot of emails. And like everyone else here,when I'm out, I'd rather take a break from being at my desk and from work related matters. Even if I'm working on the weekend, when I go to the gym or something, it's because I need to GET AWAY! This weekend for example....usually I'm contacted by email and i check it as soon as I get home. If I'm on public transit, I'd rather take a few moments to read a book that I've brought with me, rather than sit on a smartphone like everyone else!Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Not now nor most probably never Feb 22, 2013

Yetta J Bogarde wrote:

Those things can easily take over your life ... I have seen that happen too much!

Thank you, Yetta, for speaking my mind.

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
I did for a while... Feb 22, 2013

...but cancelled the email/Internet service subscription with great relief after a few months. The phone was ringing even in the middle of the night each time a client, abroad or working late, was sending me a file. Not to mention clients systematically calling while I was shopping, and being compelled to speak relatively loudly in a foreign language - with fellow shoppers staring at me as if I were mad. I was effectively feeling "at work" 24/7 and it was exhausting.

I'm keeping my
... See more
...but cancelled the email/Internet service subscription with great relief after a few months. The phone was ringing even in the middle of the night each time a client, abroad or working late, was sending me a file. Not to mention clients systematically calling while I was shopping, and being compelled to speak relatively loudly in a foreign language - with fellow shoppers staring at me as if I were mad. I was effectively feeling "at work" 24/7 and it was exhausting.

I'm keeping my Blackberry because I like its keyboard but I don't give my mobile phone number to clients any more, don't use the Internet/emails/fancy features any more on the BB. I'm saving a great deal of money since I only pay 2 € per month now - for 2 hrs phone and 60 sms - and more important, I'm keeping my sanity. I do not recall having lost any work opportunity because of this, other than "urgent" things that I would not have been able to do while away from my desk anyway.
Collapse

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I don't want to smart the smartphone users ... Feb 22, 2013

... but I find myself smarter with a mini laptop
To tell the truth, I don't like smartphones at all. Neither touch screens, fiddly key typing nor the micro screen.
So, I use an old not-so-smartphone-but-a-smallphone from 2006 for calling. It fits in every pocket or folder.
And for e-mail & internet I carry a mini laptop with me, that is on days that I think I should use mail & internet. Of course it has drawbacks:
heavy
spacious
expensive
slow
2 kg
... See more
... but I find myself smarter with a mini laptop
To tell the truth, I don't like smartphones at all. Neither touch screens, fiddly key typing nor the micro screen.
So, I use an old not-so-smartphone-but-a-smallphone from 2006 for calling. It fits in every pocket or folder.
And for e-mail & internet I carry a mini laptop with me, that is on days that I think I should use mail & internet. Of course it has drawbacks:
heavy
spacious
expensive
slow
2 kg, 25 x 17 cm (10x7"), Euro 17.5 monthly fee, it takes 3 minutes from boot to be online and then still it's very slow, compared to your desktop pc, but no one bothers you (as long as they don't call your cell phone number and when you're in the train, in town, with friends or anywhere where you want to take time to internet, you have everything you want! I find the mini laptop a smart solution.

photo P1090843_zps7a00cea4.jpg
Collapse

Hanne Depuydt
Hanne Depuydt
French to Dutch
+ ...
Yes! Feb 22, 2013

I've worked in a translation agency for a few years and I've always appreciated speedy responses from our translators. Now I'm on the other side, as a freelancer, and I try and give clients an answer as soon as possible, too. My smartphone, my BFF!

Johanne Benoit-Gallagher
Johanne Benoit-Gallagher  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
No, but... Feb 22, 2013

I will be traveling this year and am in the process of defining what equipment would be best for work-related tasks. I find phones rather small and I most likely do not need a full laptop. I am trying out a tablet and so far, I find it ideal for email exchanges and other work-related tasks. However, I most likely would not undertake a long translation on a tablet.

I also get the impression that having a smart phone could be very disruptive. I prefer a quiet environment without phon
... See more
I will be traveling this year and am in the process of defining what equipment would be best for work-related tasks. I find phones rather small and I most likely do not need a full laptop. I am trying out a tablet and so far, I find it ideal for email exchanges and other work-related tasks. However, I most likely would not undertake a long translation on a tablet.

I also get the impression that having a smart phone could be very disruptive. I prefer a quiet environment without phone interruptions. I have regular work hours, so when I am out of the office for a few hours, regular clients know that I will respond as soon as possible.
Collapse

William Gallagher
William Gallagher  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:26
Portuguese to English
+ ...
no time for it Feb 22, 2013

When I'm in the interpreting booth I make sure to always turn off my cell phone. My laptop is there. But one really doesn't have time in that situation to depend on anything but one's own wits. People always take them in, though. A security blanket.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
well yes but Feb 22, 2013

I have a smartphone, but only because my partner was bored with his and wanted a new one and our ISP gives you a free connection.

Internet is turned off so I don't ever get e-mail on it or do anything on it that you couldn't do with dumbphones, but I don't mind.

I do give out my number but most clients who call will simply be told that I'll take a look at the file when I can sit at my computer. Some long-standing clients whose work I enjoy and who have been well educ
... See more
I have a smartphone, but only because my partner was bored with his and wanted a new one and our ISP gives you a free connection.

Internet is turned off so I don't ever get e-mail on it or do anything on it that you couldn't do with dumbphones, but I don't mind.

I do give out my number but most clients who call will simply be told that I'll take a look at the file when I can sit at my computer. Some long-standing clients whose work I enjoy and who have been well educated might get a straight "yes", but I still confirm by e-mail afterwards.
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Feb 22, 2013

I find that the fastest way to get translation work is to leave the house.

monica.m
monica.m
Italy
Member (2011)
German to Italian
+ ...
Agree Feb 22, 2013

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

I find that the fastest way to get translation work is to leave the house.

I agree!

Monica

Martina Fink
Martina Fink  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 16:26
German to English
Yes Feb 22, 2013

I use it to check for work emails when I'm away from my desk.

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:26
Alarm clock Feb 22, 2013

Texte Style wrote:

I have a smartphone...

Similar situation here. I bought it because I got it new quite cheaply: Someone bought a smartphone for her husband for Christmas; the husband (not realising this) bought himself the same smartphone as a Christmas present to himself.

I have not yet hooked it up to the Internet, and might never do so, unless I get a large tablet. I still don't like doing text messages, and although easier on the new phone, I find them annoying to have to read and even more annoying to have to reply to. Talk to me!

The best feature on my new not so smart phone? The alarm clock!
It is easy to set. It wakes me up softly, seemingly whispering in my ear, and is one gentle touch away if I want to activate "snooze". The best thing is that when I do open my eyes, I can actually see what time it is without using my specs. Having now eliminated those few moments of panic at not knowing what the time is in the morning have made a world of difference to the start of my day!

As others have said, work is sure to arrive if one washes the dishes, has a shower, or leaves the house.

I don't ever go out if I am expecting something urgent, but when I do go out, I deserve the break, however mundane the outing is.

1728091 (X)
1728091 (X)

Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, absolutely! Feb 22, 2013

I use my android phone, not only to communicate with customers, be it using voice or email services, but i also have apps that I use to manage my freelance finances, text and voice reminders, scheduling and a great app called Timesheet by Florian Rauscha (availble in google play) that allows me to keep track of time and tasks performed on different projects. I also use my phone to access the internet while working on-site for companies to look up definitions and research a topic to help me get ... See more
I use my android phone, not only to communicate with customers, be it using voice or email services, but i also have apps that I use to manage my freelance finances, text and voice reminders, scheduling and a great app called Timesheet by Florian Rauscha (availble in google play) that allows me to keep track of time and tasks performed on different projects. I also use my phone to access the internet while working on-site for companies to look up definitions and research a topic to help me get the best translation possible. The smartphone is really a management tool but a great one at that.Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Feb 22, 2013

Though I'm thinking of making the switch to an iphone, or at least getting one of them too. I must confess though, a lot of my work (and my favorite part) is testing apps and reviewing their translations in context, so I need to be able to access them. I actually lost out on a big long term project because I didn't have an iphone.

Aside from that, I read e-mails, talk with clients, text colleagues, I use my phone as a wireless internet connection when I'm out of town with my laptop
... See more
Though I'm thinking of making the switch to an iphone, or at least getting one of them too. I must confess though, a lot of my work (and my favorite part) is testing apps and reviewing their translations in context, so I need to be able to access them. I actually lost out on a big long term project because I didn't have an iphone.

Aside from that, I read e-mails, talk with clients, text colleagues, I use my phone as a wireless internet connection when I'm out of town with my laptop, and I'm working on setting my phone camera and the webcam in my laptop so that I can use one or the other as a surveillance camera (so we can spy on the dog). I have even bid on projects here on Proz through my phone.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use a smartphone for work-related tasks?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »