Profile Updater - very annoying (Staff: 'Thanks, changes made')
Thread poster: Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:19
German to English
Dec 12, 2006

Dear moderators, staff and members,

The German community has been involved in an intensive discussion this morning about the Profile Updater and so I offered to post in English.

I/We understand the need for the Updater and think it is a good idea but the reminders are becoming annoying and repetitive. This morning I found a red box in "user info" requesting me to take another look at the profle. My profile is only missing two "recommended" elements but I keep getting re
... See more
Dear moderators, staff and members,

The German community has been involved in an intensive discussion this morning about the Profile Updater and so I offered to post in English.

I/We understand the need for the Updater and think it is a good idea but the reminders are becoming annoying and repetitive. This morning I found a red box in "user info" requesting me to take another look at the profle. My profile is only missing two "recommended" elements but I keep getting reminders etc. I have found the "opt out" - thank goodness for that. Maybe that is a new feature that the staff just added. But is it really necessary to send out the same kind of reminders for the "recommended" elements as for the "compulsory" ones. And does it mean that if I don't fill in the "recommended" ones that I exclude myself from premium jobs? The ones I am missing are "project history" and "portfolio". Well I have nothing to add and can't due to customer confidentiality. Please can you tone down the reminders. Hopefully the "opt out" will do the trick.
Thanks
Gillian

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-12-12 13:58]
Collapse

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 12:19
English to Chinese
+ ...
Don't like the red Dec 12, 2006

We haven't had any continual reminders about anything so I can't complain in that regard but I don't like the colour scheme of the box in the "User info" section.

When I hover my mouse cursor over the "Your profile" box it says, "You have completed all required profile fields" but the box is bordered in red and the words "Your profile" are in red so it's like a constant warning sign appearing in the corner of my eye.

Couldn't it all be green?

Mark

EmmanuelleAn (X)
EmmanuelleAn (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:19
English to French
+ ...
VERY ANNOYING indeed! Dec 12, 2006

I fully agree with you. This is VERY (rude?) annoying.

Emmanuelle

CMJ_Trans (X)
CMJ_Trans (X)
French to English
+ ...
DRIVES ME CRAZY Dec 12, 2006

I keep getting all sorts of reminders, including the one referred to here.
I thought I had already said for the last time - though apparently not - that I am NOT a freelance translator and therefore do not envisage membership (what would be the point?).
Also the data in my profile is NOT there to attract clients but to prove my credentials to peers who might wonder who I am answering questions. I have no intention of giving more data, nor could I if I wished....
So please stop
... See more
I keep getting all sorts of reminders, including the one referred to here.
I thought I had already said for the last time - though apparently not - that I am NOT a freelance translator and therefore do not envisage membership (what would be the point?).
Also the data in my profile is NOT there to attract clients but to prove my credentials to peers who might wonder who I am answering questions. I have no intention of giving more data, nor could I if I wished....
So please stop badgering me.
I have clicked the "opt out" button but the sign is still there in RED as described.
Yours, profoundly irritated
Chris
Collapse

Joanna Borowska
Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Special offer -grrr... Dec 12, 2006

Well, I can say the same about the white box with red ribbon (Special offer) - It's beginning to be getting on my nerves. I actually did renew my membership but the picture is still there. I know - only a few days more and then the campaign will be over. But then we'll probably get the "Donate your BrowniZ" sign in its place.

Call me obsessive-compulsive (in fact, that's my middle name ) but I don't like it when the
... See more
Well, I can say the same about the white box with red ribbon (Special offer) - It's beginning to be getting on my nerves. I actually did renew my membership but the picture is still there. I know - only a few days more and then the campaign will be over. But then we'll probably get the "Donate your BrowniZ" sign in its place.

Call me obsessive-compulsive (in fact, that's my middle name ) but I don't like it when the User info box is so cluttered.

[Edited at 2006-12-12 11:55]
Collapse

Galina F
Galina F
United States
Local time: 22:19
English to Russian
+ ...
Wondering Dec 12, 2006

I'm not too tired of the reminders but I am wondering why sometimes the updater says that I don't have WWA entries (though I have 2) and sometimes it says I don't have a project history (I have one project). So I wonder if my profile is fully completed from the point of view of ProZ or not.
Best wishes,
Galina

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
... and - where are the kudoz and browniz ... Dec 12, 2006

... that used to be shown in user info, gone since the dreaded "redbox" infection!

I LOVE ProZ, but guys, this is going over the top, really!!

I just noticed when I came to this posting field, it may have changed. I just have "Your profile" in appropriate wine shade (!) now!

Good work!

And thanks for the thread, Gillian (and that it was in a language I can understand!!)

Cheers,

Bill

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:19
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Modifications implemented Dec 12, 2006

Hi all,

A couple of modifications to this feature have been implemented:

a) When the required fields are complete (green label), the red border and the bold types have been eliminated, leaving just the link to the profile updater and the green icon.

b) A bug in the "opt-out" feature was solved. Those who opt-out of "update your profile" reminders will not have the "your profile" information visible in the "User info" box.

Regards,
Enrique

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:19
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Enrique Dec 12, 2006

It is much less strident now
Gillian

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
While we're at it... Dec 12, 2006

... may I also ask why you removed the KudoZ and BrowniZ details?

Curiously,
Steffen

Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
Thanks! Dec 12, 2006

I appreciate the toning down of the "your profile" feature in the user info box, and thanks for the quick action taken. Now, could we have the Kudoz and BrowniZ summaries back where they were, please?

[Edited at 2006-12-12 13:15]

Thank you Enrique--great service.

[Edited at 2006-12-12 15:55]

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:19
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Modifications 2 Dec 12, 2006

Hi all,

The KudoZ, BrowniZ and Wallet information is back in the User info box.

Regards,
Enrique

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Great! Dec 12, 2006

Enrique wrote:

Hi all,

The KudoZ, BrowniZ and Wallet information is back in the User info box.

Regards,
Enrique

Thank you very much!!

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
More positive signs/Correction Dec 12, 2006

Hi,

Ooops, I am editing this message, because I had not realized how to make the red warning disappear from my profile box (thanks, Enrique, for telling me how! ).

Sorry about the confusion from my part.

Saludos...

---------------------------------------

(My old message was the one below.)

Thanks for the quick response, but I still see a very noticea
... See more
Hi,

Ooops, I am editing this message, because I had not realized how to make the red warning disappear from my profile box (thanks, Enrique, for telling me how! ).

Sorry about the confusion from my part.

Saludos...

---------------------------------------

(My old message was the one below.)

Thanks for the quick response, but I still see a very noticeable red warning in my profile box on the left. Do I need to log out and then log in again to make it disappear?

This red warning makes me feel like:

a) I am misbehaving (and "ain't misbehavin'").

b) Something terrible is about to happen (like a nuclear bomb is about to explode or that there has been a radioactive leak somewhere).

The icons you are using are too aggressive for something that is, in theory, optional.

How about user-friendly signs, like smileys or something like that? No need to get our profiles with negative signs/vibes.

Furthermore, I would say that an ad box in the Home page would be enough to remind us of or to make us re-consider profile completion.

Regards,

Ivette

[Edited at 2006-12-12 15:34]
Collapse

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
does anyone else receive a "Profile not complete message"? Dec 13, 2006

Yesterday and today I received a profile not complete message, I went to the profile updater, thinking there might be some new required field, only to see that my profile is complete. After I accessed the updater link and then left it, without making any changes, I received the green sign. Today, when I opened a KudoZ question from a mail notification, the sign was red again, telling me my profile is not complete.
Has anyone else faced this problem or is it only me and I should send a supp
... See more
Yesterday and today I received a profile not complete message, I went to the profile updater, thinking there might be some new required field, only to see that my profile is complete. After I accessed the updater link and then left it, without making any changes, I received the green sign. Today, when I opened a KudoZ question from a mail notification, the sign was red again, telling me my profile is not complete.
Has anyone else faced this problem or is it only me and I should send a support ticket?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Profile Updater - very annoying (Staff: 'Thanks, changes made')

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »