Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:23
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Sep 21, 2008

I've customised the Kudoz settings on my home page to display questions in my languages' working areas.

From time to time, I like to have a quick look at ALL questions, particularly in monolingual English - it's unlikely that I can add anything useful to an engineering question, but who knows.

However, the only button available to display the questions also saves your selection, overwriting any customisation. This is very annoying, believe me.

Does anyon
... See more
I've customised the Kudoz settings on my home page to display questions in my languages' working areas.

From time to time, I like to have a quick look at ALL questions, particularly in monolingual English - it's unlikely that I can add anything useful to an engineering question, but who knows.

However, the only button available to display the questions also saves your selection, overwriting any customisation. This is very annoying, believe me.

Does anyone else find this a problem?

What I would like would be to have separate 'search' and 'search and save settings' buttons, as there are on the glossary search.
Collapse

Sonja Köppen
Sonja Köppen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Funny, Sep 21, 2008

I have got a tab with all language pairs right beside the tab with my pairs on the top of the box. When I click it, there they are. You haven't got it?
Edit: This wasn't meant ironically, is it really not there?

[Bearbeitet am 2008-09-21 17:58]

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sure, the tab is there, but ... Sep 21, 2008

Yes, but I have to
a) change 'my language pairs' to just one of my languages.
b) change 'my working fields' (or something similar) to all fields.

This displays all questions in that language. I do what you want to do, then
a) change back to 'my language pairs'
b) change back to 'my working fields'

otherwise, all I'll see in future on my home page is what I wanted on a one-off basis.

Unless I'm missing something?

[Edited at
... See more
Yes, but I have to
a) change 'my language pairs' to just one of my languages.
b) change 'my working fields' (or something similar) to all fields.

This displays all questions in that language. I do what you want to do, then
a) change back to 'my language pairs'
b) change back to 'my working fields'

otherwise, all I'll see in future on my home page is what I wanted on a one-off basis.

Unless I'm missing something?

[Edited at 2008-09-21 17:53]
Collapse

Jim Tucker (X)
Jim Tucker (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Yes, I've frequently gone through the same rigamarole Sep 21, 2008

...so maybe we're missing the same thing.

Meantime I use it as an opportunity to reset my settings every month or so and enjoy a fresh look chewing the KUDos.

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
nice play on words, Jim Sep 21, 2008

but I'm quite happy with my settings as they are.

Site staff - should I raise this as a support item, or will you consider it fom here?

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Agree Sep 21, 2008

Yes, I know what you mean, it's rather annoying. I don't usually want to look at other langs./settings, but if I do, I just go back when I've finished looking there, to the page I was on earlier when I was in my usual settings and it resumes them from there (so I don't have to reset them). Not ideal, but still.

Nadja Balogh
Nadja Balogh  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:23
Member (2007)
Japanese to German
+ ...
And I thought it was just me... Sep 22, 2008

I was thinking the same thing, but had assumed that I was simply missing something.

I would love to play around with the KudoZ function a bit more, just for entertainment (oh, and don't worry, I won't play around by answering questions I'm not qualified to answer)

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Me too! Sep 22, 2008

I frequently change the settings when checking something or other, and then I am never quite sure how to get them back to a default.
Sometimes I see the button, sometimes I don't!

I'm drawing staff attention to this, so we can get some clear instructions and/ or get the system to go back to default more easily!

Christine

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 07:23
SITE STAFF
Good idea Sep 22, 2008

Hello all,

At the moment there is not an option to change your search settings at http://www.proz.com/kudoz without changing your homepage settings for KudoZ questions. A "View" button which does not alter your saved settings should fix this, correct? I've added this and a similar button for the job
... See more
Hello all,

At the moment there is not an option to change your search settings at http://www.proz.com/kudoz without changing your homepage settings for KudoZ questions. A "View" button which does not alter your saved settings should fix this, correct? I've added this and a similar button for the job search, http://www.proz.com/translation-jobs , for development.

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That would be great, Jared Sep 22, 2008

That's just what's needed - a 'this-time-only' display that doesn't mess up your defaults.

Thanks for taking up the suggestion - I look forward to it.

Sheila

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Thanks, Jared! Sep 23, 2008

That does make life easier

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 07:23
SITE STAFF
Let's try it out Sep 30, 2008

Hello again,

At http://www.proz.com/kudoz you'll now see two buttons for your searches: "View questions" and "View questions (and save settings)". By using the simple "View questions" button you should be able to perform searches without altering your saved search preferences and your homepage view of KudoZ questions. A similar button is being added
... See more
Hello again,

At http://www.proz.com/kudoz you'll now see two buttons for your searches: "View questions" and "View questions (and save settings)". By using the simple "View questions" button you should be able to perform searches without altering your saved search preferences and your homepage view of KudoZ questions. A similar button is being added at the job search page, http://www.proz.com/translation-jobs as well. Let me know how it works for you.

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jared - that's just what the doctor ordered Oct 1, 2008

It's exactly what I was hoping for - thanks a lot

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Don't always want to use the same saved settings for KudoZ

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »