Thread poster: Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 21, 2007

I would like to get some feedback and input from our community on a possible change to the ProZ.com Newsletter.

We are considering using a 3rd party service to collect and abstract news and information on and about the translation industry. This industry news would be incorporated in to a new easy to use click and read newsletter format while still including the existing ProZ.com content. Some of the comments we have heard from site users are that the new format is clean and easy
... See more
I would like to get some feedback and input from our community on a possible change to the ProZ.com Newsletter.

We are considering using a 3rd party service to collect and abstract news and information on and about the translation industry. This industry news would be incorporated in to a new easy to use click and read newsletter format while still including the existing ProZ.com content. Some of the comments we have heard from site users are that the new format is clean and easy to navigate, good looking, and that the additional industry information it would contain would be valuable and interesting to our site users.

http://www.infoinc.com/samples2/tim/proz/index.html is a link to the new format. Please note that the news in this example is dated, and that we would update the content regularly and deploy through our site as an RSS feed, and the newsletter would have current updated content delivered monthly.

This new format would be an additional expense for ProZ.com to undertake, and could possibly be offset with additional advertising, so in your replies to this thread and the survey, please indicate whether or not this is a worthy expenditure and use of membership revenue.

After review and commenting to this thread please take a moment to take this survey as well - http://www.proz.com/phpQ/fillsurvey.php?sid=110

Thank you for your time and comments.
Collapse

Nizamettin Yigit
Nizamettin Yigit  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:13
Dutch to Turkish
+ ...
Format, style etc. Aug 22, 2007

Hi Drew,

I think it is a good idea to have what you say.
I would prefer it to be in page format (like magazine pages) even in the web site.

There should be PDF or a suitable version available for the ones who would like to receive "inbox".

It needs to be tested. If a printed version is in your plans, than you need a whole team for it

As a former magazine ad sales staff and
... See more
Hi Drew,

I think it is a good idea to have what you say.
I would prefer it to be in page format (like magazine pages) even in the web site.

There should be PDF or a suitable version available for the ones who would like to receive "inbox".

It needs to be tested. If a printed version is in your plans, than you need a whole team for it

As a former magazine ad sales staff and later publisher these are just a few things that I can share at this point. Further we need to see, the site, or design, printed version etc.

I will look forward to see it.

Regards,

Nizam
Collapse

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:43
German to English
One suggestion Aug 22, 2007

I like the "Industry Newsbriefs" and as already mentioned, they would be interesting and useful to site users.

Since ProZ.com is an international site, maybe members could also contribute with news about the industry in their countries. There are some parts of the world we hardly get to hear about and this could be a way of finding out what's happening globally.

Thanks a lot for this new and welcome feature.

Best regards,
Niraja

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:13
Spanish
+ ...
It looks good but it could be much better Aug 22, 2007

I think it's a great idea and I wouldn't mind targeted advertising. The layout is already better than the current Monthly News but the text looks too cramped, it's hard to distinguish the end of each headline from the beginning of the next one, so it's a bit confusing. It would be better if the headlines were numbered and the font bigger.

I really like the format of the Multilingual Newsletter, where the information is divided in specific sections, which makes it easier to follow.

I think Niraja's suggestion about contributions written by members is fantastic. We could even have something like a 'monthly topic.

Keep up the good work.

Claudia
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:13
English to German
+ ...
Provide a more detailed overview Aug 22, 2007

Hi Drew,
To navigate the newsletter in a more targeted manner, it would be helpful if you could provide a 2-3 line 'teaser' after each heading in the overview.

Best, Ralf

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:13
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
The survey is badly designed Aug 22, 2007

Since I didn't receive the newsletter, there were several questions I could not answer, after the first(e.g., whether i liked the new format better than the old one), yet, when I clicked "submit", the survey was not submitted, but it came back with the unanswered questions highlighted.

It should be redesigned so that some answers may remain unanswered (if I never received the newsletter, how do you expect me to say if the new design is better or worse than the old one?)

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your feedback Aug 22, 2007

The template you are seeing and commenting about is a quick example. The final product would have section headings - ProZ.com freelancer news, LSP News, International News, US News etc - and we would have freedom to dictate headings and content focus.

Ralf, I will inquire about the ability to have a teaser sentance or two describing the news item below the links - good suggestion.

Thank you

Drew MacFadyen

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 18:13
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Just a very personal thought Aug 24, 2007

Hi Drew

Thanks for asking.
The new format looks a little bit more attractive than the previous one. You can go ahead with it.
But just in case...
I like to "read" the newsletter. Not to be bombarded with advertising.
Feel free to put as much advertising as you want - but don't transform the newsletter into a "thread of ads".
Allow us the pleasure of reading!

Thanks for your understanding,
Fabio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please provide feedback on possible new Newsletter format

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »