Initiator des Themas: Chosana Thanabhumi
Parvathi Pappu
Parvathi Pappu  Identity Verified
Indien
Local time: 17:48
Englisch > Hindi
+ ...
Yikes!! Even I am there!! Nov 16, 2014

Yikes!! Just saw my profile! It seems I even tutor (eyes rolling).

Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner
Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner  Identity Verified
Deutschland
Local time: 14:18
Englisch > Portugiesisch
+ ...
data privacy breach Nov 16, 2014

To me it seems clear my data was 'stolen' from my ProZ profile, since I have no other profile elsewhere and all coincides to it. Having said that, I expect that ProZ takes action, since I have trusted my personal data to them and if they are so easy to be copied pasted (of course that was not done manually but via accessing Proz Database), that means data security is not what it should be.
Moreover, that means also any other private data handled to ProZ, including the payment method I've u
... See more
To me it seems clear my data was 'stolen' from my ProZ profile, since I have no other profile elsewhere and all coincides to it. Having said that, I expect that ProZ takes action, since I have trusted my personal data to them and if they are so easy to be copied pasted (of course that was not done manually but via accessing Proz Database), that means data security is not what it should be.
Moreover, that means also any other private data handled to ProZ, including the payment method I've used to pay for my subscription, etc. are likely acessible to such scammers. I don't like the idea of seeing this happen again and again, someone mentioned it is not the first time. I really expect ProZ to issue some statement and do something about this....

So, I would suggest to all colleagues that along with all other helpful tips to report abuse everyone of us write an email to PROZ ADMIN - SITE SUPPORT asking them some explanation about how secure their database really is..

[Edited at 2014-11-16 11:31 GMT]
Collapse

Elisabeth Kissel
Elisabeth Kissel  Identity Verified
Australien
Local time: 22:18
Deutsch > Englisch
+ ...
'Thank you' to Thomas and others for helping us respond... Nov 16, 2014

Have just completed all the recommended steps for dealing with this. Thanks again for posting them here.
Would have been nice to receive a quick email from ProZ alerting us to this - I found out through the FB Watercooler group - but I supposed they are busy dealing with it and improving data security on this site?

[Edited at 2014-11-16 11:28 GMT]

lammersdorf (X)
lammersdorf (X)  Identity Verified
Spanien
Englisch > Deutsch
+ ...
Data Nov 16, 2014

They seem to continuously crawl and "update" their page. I deleted almost everything from my profile and entered a non-existing email address.

All data they stole from my proz-profile has disappeared now, except my logo (which I removed as well). Perhaps a hack of Proz's database and not only crawling issue?

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Deutschland
Mitglied (2007)
Niederländisch > Deutsch
+ ...
We are in good company... Nov 16, 2014

...because proz staff people like Jared are there, too. Natalie, you too! But Paul from SDL is missing, come on, Paul, register! Beside: I wonder why your rating is so low, Jared
What about the gaza scammers like languagemet et al? We miss you there!

Yip! I´ve got a higher rating than Rolf Kern, Klaus Herrmann and Erik Freitag!!!

[Bearbeitet am 2014-11-16 11:50 GMT]

lammersdorf (X)
lammersdorf (X)  Identity Verified
Spanien
Englisch > Deutsch
+ ...
The gaza scammers ... Nov 16, 2014

... are probably busy inventing jobs and/or updating the site ...

Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: Margarita Eleni
Registrant Organization: yerof international LTD.
Registrant Street: 33 Porter Road, P.O. Box 3169 PMB 103, Road Town,Tortola BVI
Registrant City: Road Town
Registrant State/Province: tortola
Registrant Postal Code: VG1110
Registrant Country: BS
Registrant Ph
... See more
... are probably busy inventing jobs and/or updating the site ...

Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: Margarita Eleni
Registrant Organization: yerof international LTD.
Registrant Street: 33 Porter Road, P.O. Box 3169 PMB 103, Road Town,Tortola BVI
Registrant City: Road Town
Registrant State/Province: tortola
Registrant Postal Code: VG1110
Registrant Country: BS
Registrant Phone: +357.24668800
Registrant Email: [email protected]

Here we go ... address on the British Virgin Islands, phone number from Cyprus ...
Collapse

Javier Goti
Javier Goti  Identity Verified
Spanien
Englisch > Spanisch
+ ...
They didn't seem to like my profile pic Nov 16, 2014

I'm there too. I'll file a few complaint to thos e-mails mentioned.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Deutschland
Mitglied (2009)
Englisch > Deutsch
+ ...
A thorough job Nov 16, 2014

Matthias Brombach wrote:

...because proz staff people like Jared are there, too. Natalie, you too! But Paul from SDL is missing, come on, Paul, register! Beside: I wonder why your rating is so low, Jared
What about the Gaza-scammers like languagemet et al? We miss you there!

Looks like they just grabbed all data from ProZ.com and put it on their site.

I wonder if any clients fall for that scam? Imagine they give you a job and you don't react because you're not registered on that site. That is, of course, only if real jobs and real clients exist there.

Gaelle Henriet
Gaelle Henriet  Identity Verified
Vereinigtes Königreich
Local time: 13:18
Englisch > Französisch
To report to the police in the UK Nov 16, 2014

"If you know anyone else who believes they have been a victim of fraud who wants to report the incident please ask them to complete the online report found at www.actionfraud.police.uk, or phone the contact centre on 0300 123 2040."

Aleksander Vasiljevic
Aleksander Vasiljevic  Identity Verified
Serbien
Mitglied (2003)
Englisch > Serbisch
+ ...
What about clients? Nov 16, 2014

We are all looking at our and our fellow colleagues' profiles, but the site also lists clients. What about them? It looks their data have been stolen. Also, when you click on "translation agency", you get a short list of just a few agencies -- all from Russia. I bet their data have been stolen, too...

My 2 cents

[Edited at 2014-11-16 11:48 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Deutschland
Mitglied (2007)
Niederländisch > Deutsch
+ ...
Is there a sleeper agent among us? Nov 16, 2014

Thayenga wrote:
Looks like they just grabbed all data from ProZ.com and put it on their site.

Some of these grabbed data are visible for proz members only. Maybe there´s the key? Or, even worst, it´s a general hack.

Gaelle Henriet
Vereinigtes Königreich
Englisch > Französisch
Client = translator + S Nov 16, 2014

Aleksander Vasiljevic wrote:

We are all looking at our and our fellow colleagues' profiles, but the site also lists clients. What about them? It looks their data have been stolen. Also, when you click on Translation Agencies, you get a short list of just a few agencies -- all from Russia. I bet their data have been stolen, too...

My 2 cents

I'm also in their clients list, with an "s" added to my last name, and 4 years younger than I am (the age I was when I joined Proz). Nice algorithm...

Florian Wollenschein
Florian Wollenschein  Identity Verified
Deutschland
Mitglied (2013)
Englisch > Deutsch
+ ...
Proz should take action Nov 16, 2014

I am also there.

Proz definitely should take action.

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brasilien
Local time: 09:18
Portugiesisch > Englisch
+ ...
Also on Lingvopoint Nov 16, 2014

My name has also been included in this site without my authorisation. The rates quoted are well below my normal rates, they mention that I do interpreting (I don't - only written translation) and even quote a salary.
I also find it odd that they mention 'Breakfast' as a language and that they put the person's 'raiting' [sic] next to the profile. Also, the bottom of the contact page has a word in Russian (which I can only assume means 'send').
This is a very serious matter, I have giv
... See more
My name has also been included in this site without my authorisation. The rates quoted are well below my normal rates, they mention that I do interpreting (I don't - only written translation) and even quote a salary.
I also find it odd that they mention 'Breakfast' as a language and that they put the person's 'raiting' [sic] next to the profile. Also, the bottom of the contact page has a word in Russian (which I can only assume means 'send').
This is a very serious matter, I have given the company 72 hours to remove my name and details.
Collapse

Gaelle Henriet
Vereinigtes Königreich
Englisch > Französisch
Getting in touch with Lingvopoint Nov 16, 2014

Paul Dixon wrote:
This is a very serious matter, I have given the company 72 hours to remove my name and details.

And how did you do that? Did you register on their website in order to be able to message them? Or did your Proz credentials work on their site???

And anyway, what do they care, they're scammers, I doubt they'll listen to anything you/we have to say on the matter. This will only stop when the site is forcefully taken offline.

Vom Thema belegte Seiten:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatoren dieses Forums
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another unauthorised directory listing - lingvopoint.com

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »