Thread poster: Kevin McQuire
Kevin McQuire
Kevin McQuire  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:34
zzz Other zzz to English
+ ...
Mar 6, 2003

I am with a translation firm based in Chicago, IL USA. I have a client whom we are working with to provide translations throughout most of Europe. They are a Therapeutics firm based here in the U.S. and wanted to know what the requirements were in Europe regarding translations. This is generally not our area of expertise.

Is there a central governmental body in Europe that certifies or accredits translators/translations or does each country have their own requirements?
... See more
I am with a translation firm based in Chicago, IL USA. I have a client whom we are working with to provide translations throughout most of Europe. They are a Therapeutics firm based here in the U.S. and wanted to know what the requirements were in Europe regarding translations. This is generally not our area of expertise.

Is there a central governmental body in Europe that certifies or accredits translators/translations or does each country have their own requirements? For example, here in the U.S., the Federal Drug Administration (FDA) requires translations to include certificates of accuracy which generally include the translator\'s name, language combinations, title of document, and then they are signed under penalty of perjury. This is typically done on a translation firm\'s letterhead which then has the translated documents and original documents attached. It also expedites the process if the translator is accredited by the American Translators Association (ATA).

If anyone may know of the requirements or could steer us in the right direction, we would be greatly appreciative!
Collapse

Eva Linderoth
Eva Linderoth  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 23:34
English to Swedish
+ ...
Body accredits translators in Sweden Mar 6, 2003

There are exams twice a year in Sweden, arranged by a national body. You apply for the exam from and into the language/s you want to be accredited in, pay a fee and get approved or not.

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 23:34
German to English
+ ...
Each country has its own requirements.... Mar 6, 2003

Each country has its own requirements and in Germany, each federal state can have its own requirements.

In the Rhineland Palatinate you have to submit your documents to the state court (you must have a German translation qualification recognized by the courts in that state) and swear an oath in front of the court president. Then you can go out and buy yourself a stamp which states that you are sworn translator. You then use this to stamp any sworn translations that you may b
... See more
Each country has its own requirements and in Germany, each federal state can have its own requirements.

In the Rhineland Palatinate you have to submit your documents to the state court (you must have a German translation qualification recognized by the courts in that state) and swear an oath in front of the court president. Then you can go out and buy yourself a stamp which states that you are sworn translator. You then use this to stamp any sworn translations that you may be required to undertake - adding a note to the translation that it is a true and full translation of the original document.

HTH

Alison
Collapse

cailin
cailin
German to English
+ ...
Different in every country Mar 6, 2003

In Spain you must be named \"intérprete/traductor jurado\" by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Once you have passed the exams, the same process as has been explained above follows (get a stamp with all relevant details - name/address/ID no. etc.) and stamp all \"sworn\" translations - bearing this stamp means you are liable before a court of law. In Spain (and I believe this also applies to France, probably Germany too) \"sworn\" or certified translations needed by Spanish businesses are only v... See more
In Spain you must be named \"intérprete/traductor jurado\" by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Once you have passed the exams, the same process as has been explained above follows (get a stamp with all relevant details - name/address/ID no. etc.) and stamp all \"sworn\" translations - bearing this stamp means you are liable before a court of law. In Spain (and I believe this also applies to France, probably Germany too) \"sworn\" or certified translations needed by Spanish businesses are only valid when carried out by holders of the Spanish title. So if your clients deal with businesses in Spain who require \"sworn\"/certified translations, then it is very likely that these must be done by translators with the Spanish title. (To get this title, you must have European nationality or residency).

As far as I know, this system does not apply to Ireland and England - it would appear that a \"regular\" translator could translate these documents which should then be signed by a notary.
Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:34
German to English
In the UK Mar 6, 2003

there\'s no such scheme. The only way to get to get a so-called sworn translation is for the translator to take the translation to a notary, affirm in their presence that the translation is true and accurate and the notary confirms the translator\'s signature and identity - which proves absoultely nothing!

Kevin McQuire
Kevin McQuire  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:34
zzz Other zzz to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You! Mar 6, 2003

That is what I was expecting! I appreciate your time and help!

Best regards,

Kevin McQuire
[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

European Translation Requirements

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »