Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez
Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 12, 2021

Dear colleagues,

I wish you all are having a nice weekend.

I have just found out TM-Town and realized that it's a Proz's tool. I have tried to find previous threads in the Proz's forum but I didn't find anything about it.

I would like to read comments of users of that tool. Is it useful? I have checked that you can include 2 language pairs for 5 USD/month, what is really cheap. In the future, I hope to add NL>ES to my language pairs but it will take at leas
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I wish you all are having a nice weekend.

I have just found out TM-Town and realized that it's a Proz's tool. I have tried to find previous threads in the Proz's forum but I didn't find anything about it.

I would like to read comments of users of that tool. Is it useful? I have checked that you can include 2 language pairs for 5 USD/month, what is really cheap. In the future, I hope to add NL>ES to my language pairs but it will take at least 1 year and a half to add that language pair, I think.

Even 15 USD is really cheap if it's useful and you work on 3 language pairs.

Thank you for your comments about this tool.

Best regards,
Jorge
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Useful for DeepL Dec 12, 2021

I have a bad feeling that this service, which was super hyped a couple of years ago here on proz, has been very useful for DeepL and/or other linguistical AI databases, which have led to the massive change from CAT based translation jobs to "post editing" jobs, but perhaps I'm wrong?

Baran Keki

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Is TM-Town useful? Dec 12, 2021

NO!

See this forum: https://www.proz.com/forum/tm_town/305242-is_tm_town_"working"_for_you-page3.html

Ivana Kahle

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:34
Serbian to English
+ ...
Maybe ... Dec 15, 2021

Matthias Brombach wrote:

I have a bad feeling that this service, which was super hyped a couple of years ago here on proz, has been very useful for DeepL and/or other linguistical AI databases, which have led to the massive change from CAT based translation jobs to "post editing" jobs, but perhaps I'm wrong?

Although technically mining that data could be easily done, I don't think that whatever is in TM-Town would be really that useful.

There is already in the public domain a HUGE corpus far far more valuable for that purpose, made of whole structured collections of documents (not of out-of-context free-floating terms) already translated in several languages and triple checked before publishing. By United Nations, by the European Union, by a myriad of various other international organisations ... and there is also a multitude of commercial websites published in several versions in different languages.

Sorry for any bruised egos, but compared to all that, whatever could be found in TM-Town would be no more than a speck of dust of very marginal usefulness for DeepL & Co ...

The doubt I have about TM-Town is of a completely different nature, as I find the whole concept fundamentally unconvincing. A list of terms you had to deal with in the past is not an indicator of capacity to research new terms, which I think is a far more important indicator of the potential to achieve a better quality of translation. And it's definitely not an indicator of pleasant/unpleasant to read writing style.

[Edited at 2021-12-15 11:27 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is TM-Town useful?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »