Thread poster: Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa
Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa
Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:50
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 25, 2010

Colleagues, could you give me a little help with this?

I want to insert terms in the AutoSuggest dictionary (or in the AutoText function) "on-the-go". I could do this on Trados 2007 highlighting the term, hitting the F3 key, and then inserting a "code" of 3-letters to "call" the term when I typed.

Is there a shortcut for this in Studio?

Thanks in advance!

Heloisa

PS: BTW, does anybody know the link for the "ideas" page in SDL? Can'
... See more
Colleagues, could you give me a little help with this?

I want to insert terms in the AutoSuggest dictionary (or in the AutoText function) "on-the-go". I could do this on Trados 2007 highlighting the term, hitting the F3 key, and then inserting a "code" of 3-letters to "call" the term when I typed.

Thanks in advance!

Heloisa

PS: BTW, does anybody know the link for the "ideas" page in SDL? Can't find it anymore, I always get lost in that site!
Collapse

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:50
English to Russian
I don't think it can be done that way Nov 26, 2010

Because Autosuggest uses your Multiterm termbase, you automatically include the terms you enter into MT into Autosuggest for this project. That is to say that Autosuggest is project specific and includes:
1. Terms from the Multiterm tembase selected for the project, and
2. All text from the Autosuggest dictionary selected for the project
Selecting is done in the project template.

If you want to create a very large Autosuggest dictionary you can combine several TMs
... See more
Because Autosuggest uses your Multiterm termbase, you automatically include the terms you enter into MT into Autosuggest for this project. That is to say that Autosuggest is project specific and includes:
1. Terms from the Multiterm tembase selected for the project, and
2. All text from the Autosuggest dictionary selected for the project
Selecting is done in the project template.

If you want to create a very large Autosuggest dictionary you can combine several TMs into one and use it to create a new dictionary.
At least that it is how it works for me.
Collapse

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Alexey Nov 26, 2010

Oh, I see. That's not exactly functional for me. I already have a termbase, but it is from the client and I don't want to mix with my termbase. Maybe I should create a second termbase then and use it together with the client's.

Thanks a lot!

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:50
English to Russian
This is not a problem Nov 26, 2010

Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa wrote:

Oh, I see. That's not exactly functional for me. I already have a termbase, but it is from the client and I don't want to mix with my termbase. Maybe I should create a second termbase then and use it together with the client's.

As you can select more than one termbase in the project template. But they must be Multiterm termbases. I am not sure Autosuggest will use both, but it will definetely use the default termbase. So, you can make your own MT termbase the default termbase moving it up in the list of the termbases. OR: you can export the contents of one of the termbases into the default XML format and import it into the termbase which you intend to use as the default termbase.

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 16:50
French to German
+ ...
Use Autotext for this Nov 28, 2010

Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa wrote:

You cannot edit the AutoSuggest dictionary, but you can use AutoText for this. Go to 'Tools - Options - AutoSuggest - AutoText' and enter the texts you use frequently. They will then be suggested by the AutoSuggest function if you also select AutoSuggest as a provider.
Unfortunately there is however (at least at this point in time) no function to add these terms on the fly from within the Editor. If you would like to see this in a future release, please vote for the (several) suggestions that have already been submitted for this on ideas.sdl.com.
Please also note that the AutoText entries must be at least 5 characters long.

You can find the detailed help on this here: http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/Setting_Preferences/AutoSuggest/Add_AutoText_Entries.htm

PS: BTW, does anybody know the link for the "ideas" page in SDL? Can't find it anymore, I always get lost in that site! [/quote]

As already mentioned above it is: ideas.sdl.com

Walter

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 28, 2010

Thank you Walter, thank you Alexey.

I'm already using AutoText. As for the idea to add this funtion to also work "on-the-fly", duly voted at the site!

Best regards,

Heloisa

2GT
2GT  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Phrase Express alternative Nov 28, 2010

Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa:

Unfortunately, there is no shortcut like F3 (I also use it a lot in Trados 2007 Suite).

For this kind of CAT tools (with no AutoText function or complicated use like in Studio), I use Phrase Express ( http://www.phraseexpress.com/ ).

You can custom its shortcuts as you like.

Gianni

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very interesting! Nov 28, 2010

Very interesting, Gianni, I'll give it a try!

Thank you very much!

Heloisa

Isaac F Katz (X)
Isaac F Katz (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Shortcut in Studio 2019 or 2021 is "alt+F7" Feb 18, 2022

The shortcut for quickly adding highlighted terms to auto-suggest/auto-text in Studio 2019 and now also 2021 is "alt+F7".
Hope this info helps someone 12 years later.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Shortcut for AutoSuggest function in Studio

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »