Lucjan Butulescu
Lucjan Butulescu  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 18:59
Romanian to Polish
+ ...
Double quotes in Alignment Jan 4, 2022

Hello all - I have a similar topic.

I am testing the new SDL 2021 and trying to make an alignment of a PL and RO one line file. Both files contain double quotes ( "" ) and I receive this message:

Warning> File does not comply with your specified settings
Error > Double quote character within unescaped field on line 1 field 1

And the alignment does not work. Of course it works if I remove the double quotes, but it is not an option for bigger files.
... See more
Hello all - I have a similar topic.

I am testing the new SDL 2021 and trying to make an alignment of a PL and RO one line file. Both files contain double quotes ( "" ) and I receive this message:

Warning> File does not comply with your specified settings
Error > Double quote character within unescaped field on line 1 field 1

And the alignment does not work. Of course it works if I remove the double quotes, but it is not an option for bigger files.

The problem is only with alignment. If I open the source file in Editor and paste into target from the old target file (with double quotes) it works perfectly, but i would prefer to align the files.

Can anybody give me a hint? Is this from computer settings, regional settings, encoding settings, SDL settings or some other thing?

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

Local time: 17:59
German to English
+ ...
Double quotes Jan 5, 2022

What format does your source file have? Depending on the format, it may be possible to clean up the source file (such as with a general regex).

Lucjan Butulescu

Lucjan Butulescu
Bulgaria
Romanian to Polish
+ ...
Txt files Jan 7, 2022

Hi Anthony,
At the moment I am testing with *.TXT files (source and target) 1 to 5 lines/ TU with no more than 4 quotations. Always error, but of course it works when Align is telling what row I have the double quotation. Then I remove it from the row and try again, and it works. Or hand by hand - for 5 TU it is OK - but I have a lot of pairs of *.txt unaligned

Maybe I should try with DOC, DOCX, excel and other?
... See more
Hi Anthony,
At the moment I am testing with *.TXT files (source and target) 1 to 5 lines/ TU with no more than 4 quotations. Always error, but of course it works when Align is telling what row I have the double quotation. Then I remove it from the row and try again, and it works. Or hand by hand - for 5 TU it is OK - but I have a lot of pairs of *.txt unaligned

Maybe I should try with DOC, DOCX, excel and other? OR the properties of the *.txt files are not OK (Unicode, 8- something)

I have no idea what is a regex? I will check, of course.

Could be this linked to the Regional Settings of the computer?

Thanks Anthony, I will follow your idea and inform if I have any results

Lucjan
Collapse

Lucjan Butulescu
Bulgaria
Romanian to Polish
+ ...
"SDL Trados Studio quotation marks" Jan 8, 2022

Anthony - you were right. When I copied the *.TXT files into *DOCX , the alignment went just like that.

Thanks for the support!

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

Local time: 17:59
German to English
+ ...
Quotation marks Jan 9, 2022

Addendum: There are several editors that provide full regex support. LibreOffice Writer also provides extensive regex support, also for MS Word documents.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio quotation marks

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »