Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
May 18, 2012

Hi,

I get this error message:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/509643/Clients/Screen%20Shot%202012-05-18%20at%209.39.54%20AM.png

What is causing Transit to become unstable? Running Win XP SP 3 in a Parallels Desktop VM.

Cheers,

Hans

jean-marc aubertin
jean-marc aubertin
Local time: 23:43
Member (1970)
English
Not really a Transit error... May 18, 2012

Hi Hans,

This message is from the ODBC driver not "really" from Transit.

Something went wrong while Termstar has tried to connect to one of your DB.

Did you change something in your dictionaries recently?

When does this occurs?

Best regards,

Jean-Marc

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
It is a design flaw to outsource core functionality to a third party solution May 19, 2012

jean-marc aubertin wrote:

This message is from the ODBC driver not "really" from Transit.

Something went wrong while Termstar has tried to connect to one of your DB.

Did you change something in your dictionaries recently?

When does this occurs?

Hi Jean-Marc,

I know it is a MSSQL issue. Nevertheless I consider STAR's choice to use MSSQL for storing terminology a bad choice. I think it is way to much overhead for a relatively simple task.

Other CAT tools have there own term base architecture. Or even as simple tab delimited plain text file (which actually is my favorite solution: small, flexible and fast).

I really don't understand who STAR had in mind when outsourcing the term module to MS ... Big automotive companies with gigantic term bases? Surely not the freelance translator. Way too much overhead, way to unstable.

Talking about instability:

- Yes, I do add/change terms all the time (after all, that is what a term is is for ...)

- Crashes occur in 2 cases:

1. Adding new term pairs to fast.

2. Returning after a break.

My guess is that the interaction between Transit and the MSSQL engine isn't fast enough. When returning from a break MSSQL will probably be doing some maintenance tasks in the background and Transit doesn't detect this.

This problem has always been around on all of my machines. Even with fresh Windows installed. I have enough RAM assigned and an SSD. So the hardware shouldn't be the bottle neck (at least that is what other CAT tools are showing me).

I have been discussing this problem with STAR support at length. To no avail. It is kind of disappointing to read in this forum that Development cannot focus on all issues, since their resources are limited . I consider term recognition to be core functionality for a CAT tool. STAR, get your things straight, please.

Cheers,

Hans

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
And I didn't even mention the time it takes to store new terms May 19, 2012

I forgot to mention that it takes 5 to 10 seconds to store a new term pair (database now abouit 650,000 entries). I've tried several configurations (Access, SQL, 1 giant, 7 small dictionaries) no difference.

Perhaps you think 5 to 10 seconds is not a long time to wait until you can continue translating, but in fact it is really slowing down work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit is unstable

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »