How do sworn translations and Apostille work in the USA?
Thread poster: TraduzioniMedia
TraduzioniMedia
TraduzioniMedia
Local time: 00:09
Italian to English
+ ...
Feb 17, 2022

I have an American client who now lives in Italy. He needs his background check approved in Italy. The Italian authorities told him the EN vs IT sworn translation has to be made in the United States [this is important, they won't accept any sworn translation made in Italy!] and an Apostille has to be applied to the original document and its translation in order for them to be legalized and be valid in Italy.
What is the procedure in the United States?
Do the rules change depending on
... See more
I have an American client who now lives in Italy. He needs his background check approved in Italy. The Italian authorities told him the EN vs IT sworn translation has to be made in the United States [this is important, they won't accept any sworn translation made in Italy!] and an Apostille has to be applied to the original document and its translation in order for them to be legalized and be valid in Italy.
What is the procedure in the United States?
Do the rules change depending on the state? If this can help, the background check was issued by the US Department of Justice / FBI in West Virginia.
Thanks all!
Collapse

Sonia Cunha-Goldner
Sonia Cunha-Goldner
United States
Local time: 18:09
English to Portuguese
Translation and Apostille services in the USA Feb 17, 2022

Hello,

I provide translation and apostille services in the USA. I am surprised that the Italian authorities don´t want the sworn translation to be done in Italy since that is the standard, and it would not require an Apostille to be valid in Italy.

We don´t have Sworn Translators in the USA. We provide certified translations that can be notarized and apostilled for any country member of the Hague Convention. For countries that are not part of the Hague Convention, th
... See more
Hello,

I provide translation and apostille services in the USA. I am surprised that the Italian authorities don´t want the sworn translation to be done in Italy since that is the standard, and it would not require an Apostille to be valid in Italy.

We don´t have Sworn Translators in the USA. We provide certified translations that can be notarized and apostilled for any country member of the Hague Convention. For countries that are not part of the Hague Convention, the Department of State provides an Authentication of the document.

For FBI reports, we need to send the report to the DOS in Washington, DC, as the reports are issued in WV, as you mentioned. The translation can be done in the USA by a translator who will sign a Certification of Accuracy certifying that the translation is a true, accurate, and complete translation of the original document.

If you need translation and apostille services in the USA, don´t hesitate to contact me.

Learn more about Apostilles here => https://www.scglawandlanguage.com/apostille
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Paul Lambert

TraduzioniMedia
TraduzioniMedia
Local time: 00:09
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Sonia Feb 17, 2022

I am surprised that the Italian authorities don't want the sworn translation to be done in Italy since that is the standard, and it would not require an Apostille to be valid in Italy.

I know, that's in fact what I did. I did a sworn translation of the background check and of the Apostille. That's always been the standard, but this time the relevant authority rejected it and said it has to be done all in the States! Crazy, right?

We provide certified translations that can be notarized and apostilled for any country member of the Hague Convention

Ok!

For FBI reports, we need to send the report to the DOS in Washington, DC, as the reports are issued in WV, as you mentioned.

Do you need the original copy, or a scanned version is valid as well?

The translation can be done in the USA by a translator who will sign a Certification of Accuracy certifying that the translation is a true, accurate, and complete translation of the original document.

Perfect!

If you need translation and apostille services in the USA, don't hesitate to contact me.

I will! Let me check with the client first. Thank you so much Sonia.

Sonia Cunha-Goldner
Sonia Cunha-Goldner
United States
Local time: 18:09
English to Portuguese
FBI report for Apostille - Format Feb 17, 2022

If you requested the FBI report online, you must have received an email with the report attached in PDF format. You can print this document and submit it to the DOS in Washington DC.

If you requested the FBI report by mail and received it likewise, you need to submit the original to the DOS to be apostilled.

Here to help!

Sonia

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How do sworn translations and Apostille work in the USA?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »