Cost of translation services for the police increased over three years in Britain

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Cost of translation services for the police increased over three years in Britain ".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
Royaume-Uni
Local time: 14:32
Membre (2007)
français vers anglais
+ ...
unsurprising news Aug 22, 2011

This increase in translation costs is to be expected as the UK is part of Europe, also we accept asylum seekers from other countries.
I think quite a few people in the UK are aware of this fact.

[Edited at 2011-08-22 18:25 GMT]

liz askew
Royaume-Uni
Membre (2007)
français vers anglais
+ ...
unsurprising new Aug 22, 2011

I think many people in Britain are aware of this fact.

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
italien vers anglais
+ ...
In memoriam
DAILY MAIL Aug 22, 2011

Oh it must be true then if it's in the Daily Mail.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI
I interpret for the police and some of that money is due to let's say unforeseen circumstances - I've been called out for wrong languages, kept waiting for hours as the on-call solicitor has had to cover somewhere else, all of which has to be paid for. So let's not blame Johnny Foreigner for
... See more
Oh it must be true then if it's in the Daily Mail.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI
I interpret for the police and some of that money is due to let's say unforeseen circumstances - I've been called out for wrong languages, kept waiting for hours as the on-call solicitor has had to cover somewhere else, all of which has to be paid for. So let's not blame Johnny Foreigner for everything.
Drop in the ocean anyway compared to the dreadful Civil List!
Collapse

liz askew
Royaume-Uni
Membre (2007)
français vers anglais
+ ...
waste of money sometimes? Aug 23, 2011

Indeed,
translation/interpreter costs may be high, but this is to be expected for providing such services. However, what gets my goat is when interpreters get sent on a job and 1) the wrong language is booked or 2) the person who wants the interpreter doesn't show up!
As I say, costs are high, but the British Government is committed to providing interpreting and translation services as part of international agreements, and we also belong to Europe. Perhaps everybody needs to be aware
... See more
Indeed,
translation/interpreter costs may be high, but this is to be expected for providing such services. However, what gets my goat is when interpreters get sent on a job and 1) the wrong language is booked or 2) the person who wants the interpreter doesn't show up!
As I say, costs are high, but the British Government is committed to providing interpreting and translation services as part of international agreements, and we also belong to Europe. Perhaps everybody needs to be aware of the costs involved and do their utmost to make sure services are used efficiently and correctly.

Cheers!
Liz Askew
Collapse

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russie
Local time: 16:32
italien vers russe
+ ...
just a simple math Aug 24, 2011

Based on the figures in this news, the court interpreters "ate" 92 mln pounds, which equal three thousand jobs in the police, which in turn lost 13 thou jobs over the same timespan. A quick calculation gives the result: the British (and it may be also global proportion for large nations) court interpreters picked up every fifth crumb lost by the police. It's too-oo much...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Modérateur(s) de ce forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cost of translation services for the police increased over three years in Britain

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »