Wenke Geddert
Wenke Geddert
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:07
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Dec 7, 2005

One of my clients has just changed the format of the purchase order. At the bottom it now reads:

"a) In accepting this purchase order it is understood that you carry your own Professional Indemnity Insurance in accordance with our Terms of Business.
b) Before returning translations to (Customer Name), translators must ensure that they are full checked against the original text for content, syntax and style. Unreasonable time spent by (Customer Name) in correcting translations
... See more
One of my clients has just changed the format of the purchase order. At the bottom it now reads:

"a) In accepting this purchase order it is understood that you carry your own Professional Indemnity Insurance in accordance with our Terms of Business.
b) Before returning translations to (Customer Name), translators must ensure that they are full checked against the original text for content, syntax and style. Unreasonable time spent by (Customer Name) in correcting translations will be charged back to the translator per our Terms of Business."

Having received this PO, I asked whether they could send me a copy of their Terms of Business but haven't received anything yet (it's over a week now). As I have already completed my translation within the specified timescale, I assume I have accepted their Terms of Business - although I am still curious to see what they actually are.

As far as b) is concerned, checking one's work before it is submitted goes without saying - but when is it reasonable that they start deducting (and how much) and it sounds that they just impose a payment rather than make a request and allow the translator to comment accordingly.
But what worries me even more is point a) which means that although they check, edit and finalise the submitted work (penalising the translator accordingly), should they get sued it will immediately be passed on to the translator, i.e. you get a double-whammy...

How do you view these conditions?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Wenke
Collapse

Fred Lessing
Fred Lessing
English to Portuguese
Just talk to them Dec 7, 2005

Personally, I would try to talk it over with them on the phone (if needed, use VoipBuster to eliminate call costs). That kind of question is tricky. Only once did I work with an agency that had clauses like a) and b), and they used b) whenever they could, even when their reviewer had no clue as to the target terminology to use! Still, it might mean nothing, and I'd say you'd better talk to them personally if you depend - or are planning to depend - on them.

Fred Lessing
Sintra
... See more
Personally, I would try to talk it over with them on the phone (if needed, use VoipBuster to eliminate call costs). That kind of question is tricky. Only once did I work with an agency that had clauses like a) and b), and they used b) whenever they could, even when their reviewer had no clue as to the target terminology to use! Still, it might mean nothing, and I'd say you'd better talk to them personally if you depend - or are planning to depend - on them.

Fred Lessing
Sintra, Portugal
Collapse

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
Local time: 10:07
French to English
I wouldn't sign it Dec 8, 2005

I would steer clear of anything that allows them to "charge back" to the translator "unreasonable" time spent revising (after all, it is the agency that has the sole power to evaluate such time spent and whether or not it is "reasonable"...I doub't they'd give you any input on this).

Definitely not the kind of company I'd want to work with. I understand the need to protect yourself, but carefully vetting and choosing translators is part of the agency's job and I don't see why all of
... See more
I would steer clear of anything that allows them to "charge back" to the translator "unreasonable" time spent revising (after all, it is the agency that has the sole power to evaluate such time spent and whether or not it is "reasonable"...I doub't they'd give you any input on this).

Definitely not the kind of company I'd want to work with. I understand the need to protect yourself, but carefully vetting and choosing translators is part of the agency's job and I don't see why all of the responsibility should fall on the translator.

Regards,

Sara
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PO Conditions

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »