URSSAFnumber (France)
Thread poster: Myriam van Gils
Myriam van Gils
Myriam van Gils
Local time: 03:01
English to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 8, 2002

Someone told me that if I do translations for a French agency I need to have a French URSSAFnumber (profession liberale).

I work also for Dutch agencies, am registered in the Netherlands and pay my taxes in the Netherlands: do I still also need a French URSSAF number?

mckinnc
mckinnc  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Not true Oct 8, 2002

It would make a bit of a nonsense of the Single European Market if that were true. I work for French agencies and have a UK-registered company. You can hardly be expected to register your company in more tahn one country, just as you can be tax registered in only one.

Nicolas Rick
Nicolas Rick
English to French
+ ...
Urssaf Oct 8, 2002

In my opinion as a translator doing businesss in France, if you have registered elswhere in the EC you don\'t have to register at the Urssaf in France.

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:01
English to German
+ ...
I have a question for Colin Oct 9, 2002

I currently live in the UK and my business is registered here. Say I decided to move to France but continued to pay tax and NIC here, how would I sort out things like health insurance?

mckinnc
mckinnc  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In answer to Olaf Oct 9, 2002

>I currently live in the UK and my business is registered here. Say I decided to move to France but continued to pay tax and NIC here, how would I sort out things like health insurance?

Hi Olaf,

You should be able to keep up your NI contributions if it suits you to do so but you are likely to have to start paying income tax in France. As long as you are only back in the UK for a few weeks in the year, you become \"resident for tax purposes\" in France. Y
... See more
>I currently live in the UK and my business is registered here. Say I decided to move to France but continued to pay tax and NIC here, how would I sort out things like health insurance?

Hi Olaf,

You should be able to keep up your NI contributions if it suits you to do so but you are likely to have to start paying income tax in France. As long as you are only back in the UK for a few weeks in the year, you become \"resident for tax purposes\" in France. You would continue to pay corporation tax on any company profits in the UK. This setup makes sense for itinerant translators who might want to move from one EU country to another but keep a stable company base.

Accountants will advise you on all this kind of stuff but it can be tricky finding one able to advise you about two national systems at once. Generally they can\'t and those with the knowledge are often in the big firms like KPMG, who will also charge a lot of money. You may have to consult first with an accountant in the Uk and then another in France to make sure you are behaving above board and in a \"tax-efficient\" manner.

Health insurance is a real nightmare when you\'re freelance. You can sign up for a package with the likes of PPP but this is very expensive and does not generally cover you for much apart from emergency stuff. You may be able to make some arrangement (with a UK-issued E111 or some such thing) for a limited initial period. It\'s a bit of a grey area if you ask me, which the EU has not quite ironed out yet.

Drop us a mail if you have any other questions I might be able to help with.

Colin
Collapse

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
Thanks for your reply, Colin Oct 9, 2002

I am a sole trader, so probably I would have to move my business address to the country where I live unless I create a small company. I just thought it would be nice to benefit from the comparably low UK tax rates while having the quality of life and lower cost of living in another country like France or Germany. All my friends in France and Germany are complaining about tax and/or social security contributions, in particular the self-employed. But then they have better public services, health c... See more
I am a sole trader, so probably I would have to move my business address to the country where I live unless I create a small company. I just thought it would be nice to benefit from the comparably low UK tax rates while having the quality of life and lower cost of living in another country like France or Germany. All my friends in France and Germany are complaining about tax and/or social security contributions, in particular the self-employed. But then they have better public services, health care, state pension... There you go. Thanks again.Collapse

Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
No need to have the French number Oct 13, 2002

I have been working fro French agencies for years and I use my Spanish tax number. Never had the slightest problem. As I live on the frontier between France and Spain, I know several other professionals in similar situations, never heard about any problem.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

URSSAFnumber (France)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »