Portugal
Local time: 11:45
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Well, Jun 4, 2022

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Agneta Pallinder wrote:

It happens to me occasionally, but does it really matter? I wouldn't bother unless it was a misspelling in a formal document, like an NDA or a contract. Then I would politely and without making a fuss ask for a correction.

Exactly.

I would care if someone called me Miss Carvalho without the "v"

Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach
Lingua 5B

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:45
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I often received... Jun 5, 2022

...emails from agencies approaching me for the first time who addressed me with the name of somebody else they already had spotted out in the proz directory and who was very close to my position in the range of that field of expertise. Sometimes I ask myself whether I better should have misused this situation e.g. by pretending to undercut their prices or leaving abusive comments about these agencies on their behalf. Some of them (guess which side) genuinely would have deserved that...

Christopher Schröder

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post.
Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 19:45
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Japanese, Chinese and Korean names Jun 7, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

I've noticed that some people are incapable of distinguishing first names from surnames. They just address you casually/informally with your surname even if you signed the email with your first name, and they continue the same behaviour throughout the email thread. It's maybe that in some countries/cultures surnames come before one's given name, I don't know.

As Novian wrote above, the order for Japanese names start with surname + first name (no middle name in general, unless you happen to be half Japanese and half Western but not always the case). But when written in Roman letters, the first name comes first and the surname last. So the safest way is to address the person with their whole name, just like my name Yasutomo Kanazawa.

Another tip regarding names, Korean and Chinese are also same with Japanese, surname + first name, except for Chinese people who have Western names, such as Jackie Chan or Jet Li, where Chan and Li are surnames respectively.

Back to the original topic, I do care when people misspell my name, especially Yasumoto instead of Yasutomo. I kindly tell them in our third or four correspondence that they have been misspelling my name all along.

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:45
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
It's not just the clients... Jun 8, 2022

Re. my 1 June post, there are also colleagues intentionally misspelling one's name - or surname in my case -, simply because they just could not care less (that's how I read their orthohgraphic slip-ups, anyway):

https://www.proz.com/kudoz/italian-to-english/architecture/7068397-mignano.html

If it is that difficult for someone to ha
... See more
Re. my 1 June post, there are also colleagues intentionally misspelling one's name - or surname in my case -, simply because they just could not care less (that's how I read their orthohgraphic slip-ups, anyway):

If it is that difficult for someone to handle a name+surname combo like mine, made of just four letters, I cannot imagine the spelling havoc they can cause elsewhere. But that's their problem, I guess.

---

Update: Last night (8 June 2022) I received a notification from ProZ that the Discussion comments referencing my misspelled surname (Carrera instead of Carrara) were removed. Wonder who alerted them.

[Edited at 2022-06-09 04:44 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Barbara, Jun 11, 2022

Barbara Carrara wrote:

If it is that difficult for someone to handle a name+surname combo like mine, made of just four letters, I cannot imagine the spelling havoc they can cause elsewhere. But that's their problem, I guess.

---

Update: Last night (8 June 2022) I received a notification from ProZ that the Discussion comments referencing my misspelled surname (Carrera instead of Carrara) were removed. Wonder who alerted them.

[Edited at 2022-06-09 04:44 GMT]

Apparently, it is very difficult, but I envy their ability to translate given names into other languages and create new surnames with an Arab flavour.
I have seen somewhere the name of the Brazilian author Paulo Coelho misspelled as "Paolo Coehlo". The only thing that is right is the use of capital letters...

[Edited at 2022-06-11 15:20 GMT]

Barbara Carrara

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Double posting Jun 11, 2022

[Edited at 2022-06-11 15:21 GMT]

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Ignore it Jun 17, 2022

Especially for business emails, where people often use phones (small keyboards, pesky autocorrect, sometimes emailing without glasses on) or voice to text.

Unless it's a one-man shop and the same person is handling payments... With a similar level of accuracy.

Kaspars Melkis

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Sandra Jun 26, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Agneta Pallinder wrote:

It happens to me occasionally, but does it really matter? I wouldn't bother unless it was a misspelling in a formal document, like an NDA or a contract. Then I would politely and without making a fuss ask for a correction.

Exactly.

I would care if someone called me Miss Carvalho without the "v"

Btw, my full name is Borges de Almeida. I shortened it when I was living in Brussels because it was extremely difficult for Belgians to get it right and I was either Mme Borgès or Mme Almeidá (with a very opened “a”!). My eldest daughter who then was studying photography used to receive letters from an art gallery where the “m” was replaced by a “p”…

expressisverbis

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:45
Japanese to English
+ ...
Misspelled name Jun 29, 2022

I tell them about it and then get on with my life.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to respond when a client misspells your name

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »