Thread poster: Alan Wang
Alan Wang
Alan Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 16:22
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mar 20, 2013

I understand it as post-editing machine translated texts.

Is there something wrong with this?

[Edited at 2013-03-20 04:00 GMT]

Loise
Loise
France
Local time: 10:22
French to Chinese
+ ...
编辑机器翻译 Mar 20, 2013

Post-editing 就是编辑一些事先用google translate或更差的翻译软体翻好的文本,价钱比一般翻译价低30-70%。我从来不做这样的编辑。因为谁没有google translate?为什么要接受客户事先用google translate翻译好的文本再进行编辑,然后只收比平常翻译价格低30-70%的费用?我觉得这个post-editing的概念真是莫名其妙。

[Edited at 2013-03-20 05:31 GMT]

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:22
Chinese to English
+ ...
这种东西是蒙人的 Mar 20, 2013

Alan Wang wrote:

I understand it as post-editing machine translated texts.

Is there something wrong with this?

Alan,

There's nothing wrong with it if you're willing to work as a slave. I actually heard of it over here, but they pay on an hourly basis; and they typically want you on-site.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Discussions elsewhere Mar 20, 2013

http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/215371-rates_for_post_editing_machine_translation_texts.html#1868110

http://www.matecat.com/publications/a-fair-rate-for-post-editing/

Alan Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
are they still dreaming in their own bubbles? Mar 20, 2013

我昨天见到某个offer,招有经验的post editor,开始还以为是涉及什么新技术的新工种呢。看完之后,觉得可能任务就是修改机器翻译。想来不禁哑然失笑。居然正巴正经地强调要有这方面经验的人才。这些看似天真的老外难道不知道翻译市场接近下限的低价,早就和使用机器辅助有关联吗?大家都心照不宣而已。如果像几十年前,拿纸笔和词典做翻译,我们需要的大概是目前价格的3到5倍才有西北风喝。

They need to know they are getting post-editing rates already!

[Edited at 2013-03-20 16:21 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Futile effort Mar 20, 2013

Alan Wang wrote:

我昨天见到某个offer,招有经验的post editor,开始还以为是涉及什么新技术的新工种呢。看完之后,觉得可能任务就是修改机器翻译。想来不禁哑然失笑。居然正巴正经地强调要有这方面经验的人才。这些看似天真的老外难道不知道翻译市场接近下限的低价,早就和使用机器辅助有关联吗?大家都心照不宣而已。如果像几十年前,拿纸笔和词典做翻译,我们需要的大概是目前价格的3到5倍才有西北风喝。

They need to know they are getting post-editing rates already!

True. But why even bother with plugging it into some MT software in the first place? IMO, it's a total waste of time.

猫被狗追得上窜下跳,毛都快给吹光了
Google results: Cat is a dog chasing jumping up and down, hair almost to blow light

Alan Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
there is a fit Mar 20, 2013

Here, you get "jumping up and down" which is quite a fit for 上窜下跳。

wherestip wrote:
True. But why even bother with plugging it into some MT software in the first place? IMO, it's a total waste of time.

猫被狗追得上窜下跳,毛都快给吹光了
Google results: Cat is a dog chasing jumping up and down, hair almost to blow light

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Basic skills a translator needs to even qualify Mar 20, 2013

Alan Wang wrote:

Here, you get "jumping up and down" which is quite a fit for 上窜下跳。

wherestip wrote:

猫被狗追得上窜下跳,毛都快给吹光了

Well, IMO, if you have to rely on a machine to tell you that, perhaps you shouldn't be in this business.

You of course doesn't mean "you".

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Besides Mar 20, 2013

... Do you really think "jumping up and down" is even an acceptable translation in this context? I certainly don't.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/jumping%20up%20and%20down

jumping up and down - jumping in one spot (as in excitement); "the wailing and jumping up and down exhausted him"

http://www.wordnik.com/words/jumping%20up%20and%20down

jumping up and down

Definitions
WordNet 3.0
n. jumping in one spot (as in excitement)

Examples
“He ran to the truck and half-yanked me through the open door, and then we were both jumping up and down like kids.”

“Not jumping up and down like children, of course, but just standing there, just standing and watching, right out in the open, not caring who saw them, half-naked the way they mostly were in summertime.”

“When Rachel sips from a cup for the first time, she notices the cheerleader section of the family hooraying, jumping up and down and generally acting like a bunch of raving lunatics.”

“The members of this parliament behaved - to Charlie’s mind - like large-sized children, jumping up and down at dramatic moments, howling forth proverbs, slogans, and deep-sea oaths.”

http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/JUMP

The fans were jumping up and down with excitement.

Everyone was jumping for joy when we found out that we had won an award.

http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/jump_1

Fans were jumping up and down (=jumping repeatedly) and cheering.

[Edited at 2013-03-20 22:32 GMT]

nigerose
nigerose  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to English
+ ...
猫被狗追得上窜下跳,毛都快给吹光了 Mar 21, 2013

猫被狗追得上窜下跳,毛都快给吹光了

不符合客观事实的句子也是病句。狗不可能去吹,就算十二级台风(的空气速度),也不能把猫毛吹掉!

[修改时间: 2013-03-21 00:44 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Huh? Mar 21, 2013

nigerose wrote:

猫被狗追得上窜下跳,毛都快给吹光了

Maybe so. But if you followed the other thread, the original author meant the cat got buffeted by the wind, and in the chaos got roughed up and lost most of its hair. No one is implying that a cat's hair could be blown off by a dog. BTW, can a dog even blow unless he's in a cartoon?

[Edited at 2013-03-21 17:41 GMT]

nigerose
nigerose  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to English
+ ...
sorry Mar 21, 2013

wherestip wrote:

nigerose wrote:

猫被狗追得上窜下跳,毛都快给吹光了

Maybe so. But if you followed the other thread, the original author meant the cat got buffeted by the wind, and lost most of its hair. No one is implying that a cat's hair could be blown off by a dog. Isn't that just common sense?

[Edited at 2013-03-21 01:09 GMT]

Sorry, I should have posted it in that thread.
But it is true that "不符合客观事实的句子也是病句"。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Indeed Mar 21, 2013

nigerose wrote:

wherestip wrote:

nigerose wrote:

猫被狗追得上窜下跳,毛都快给吹光了

Maybe so. But if you followed the other thread, the original author meant the cat got buffeted by the wind, and lost most of its hair. No one is implying that a cat's hair could be blown off by a dog. Isn't that just common sense?

Sorry, I should have posted it in that thread.
But it is true that "不符合客观事实的句子也是病句"。

I agree it is a faulty sentence to start out with. But if a cat is leaping around frantically, trying to escape from a chasing dog, sometimes it is possible it loses some hair.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Dogs and cats Mar 21, 2013

https://v2.pethub.com/articles/behavior/why-dogs-chase-cats

Why Do Dogs Chase Cats?
There are a number of reasons why dogs chase cats. In some cases, it does have to do with a larger dog exercising his predatory instinct. Larger and more aggressive breeds are wired to capture prey, and the size and the agility of cats makes it a fun hunt for certain types of dogs.

Even if a dog is of a size and breed that makes him prone to viewing cats as food rather than friends, he will very rarely pounce on a cat living in his home as part of the family, once the two have been properly introduced. However, frustrated pet parents may notice that stray cats or those living in neighboring houses seem to be fair game for their pooch.

A Fun Game?
More frequently, dogs are simply curious about cats and the desire to chase comes from a spirit of fun, rather than wishing to harm the cat. However, cats are very self-protective and often cannot distinguish between a dog that is on the attack, and a dog that wants to play a game of tag. Fighting between cats and dogs can often become vicious, even when the conflict starts out as playfulness, and both can sustain serious injuries. In addition, dogs and cats have a tendency to chase one another out into the middle of the street, where both may be hit by a motorist unaware of the scuffle. It doesn’t take much for a fun game to take a tragic twist.

I'm no expert on cats, except I know that most breeds shed a lot in the spring, fall, and almost year-round. As this article points out, if a dog-and-cat chase turns into a fight, and the fight turns vicious, injuries to the dog, the cat, or both could be sustained during the scuffle.

I don't believe a cat can lose most of its hair simply by being buffeted by the wind either. It was a poorly-worded Chinese sentence already in discussion that I tried to improve upon. I apologize if the sentence remains divorced from reality. But my main point is that Google Translator is still unreliable for the Chinese, English pair, even for very simple sentences.

Alan Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
dream bubble Mar 21, 2013

wherestip wrote:
But my main point is that Google Translator is still unreliable for the Chinese, English pair, even for very simple sentences.

If you are complaining about unreliability, fine, be my guest!
Maybe the good thing about it is that it’s unreliable, or we would lose our livelihood altogether.
But all we hope for is that it could help a little here and there.

It can easily get emotional when outsourcers talk about their heart-felt need of cutting translation costs to get their business up and going. But God forbid, if a translator so much as mentions using some sort of automation tool to boost productivity and to better make ends meet… it’s unprofessional! What is this? Is there some sort of conspiracy on keeping hypocritical vanities across the establishment?

[Edited at 2013-03-21 04:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-03-21 13:50 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is post-editing exactly?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »