Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 05:12
English to Czech
+ ...
Test vs. Scam May 14, 2010

Hello Irene,
I think I can see very well what you mean. Then, perhaps the title of this thread should read "How to tell a scam from a test".

In my experience, tests can be told from scams at the first sight. If the prospective client is serious, the test will comprise three or four paragraphs from different fields and you will be free to choose which one(s) of them to translate. Also, tests will usually provide some space for your comments and list of the resources you used.... See more
Hello Irene,
I think I can see very well what you mean. Then, perhaps the title of this thread should read "How to tell a scam from a test".

In my experience, tests can be told from scams at the first sight. If the prospective client is serious, the test will comprise three or four paragraphs from different fields and you will be free to choose which one(s) of them to translate. Also, tests will usually provide some space for your comments and list of the resources you used.

I hope this is approximately what you wanted to hear.
Collapse

IreneP
IreneP
Greece
Local time: 06:12
English to Greek
How to tell a scam from a test May 20, 2010

I totally agree with you.

Ronald van der Linden (X)
Ronald van der Linden (X)  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:12
German to Dutch
+ ...
My experiences May 21, 2010

I agree with Pablo, however my daily experience is different. Agencies in general want test translations for many different reasons. Anyway, I usually offer free test translations if less than 300 words, if more I'd calculate 70% of my standard fee. And usually the agency doesn't want to pay, so they come with a 250-300 word sample.

In my experience with Dutch and German agencies, the test translations are part of the actual project. In other words, a free test translation then beco
... See more
I agree with Pablo, however my daily experience is different. Agencies in general want test translations for many different reasons. Anyway, I usually offer free test translations if less than 300 words, if more I'd calculate 70% of my standard fee. And usually the agency doesn't want to pay, so they come with a 250-300 word sample.

In my experience with Dutch and German agencies, the test translations are part of the actual project. In other words, a free test translation then becomes a 100% paid translation if you get chosen.

The situation where the word count of your free test translation is deducted from the project, together with other samples, is what I call a scam and that particular agency/client must be blacklisted for its practices.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How long should a test translation be?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »