What happened to the rule about questions having to be terms?
Thread poster: Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:58
English
+ ...
Aug 27, 2013

I faintly remember KudoZ questions are supposed to be terms, but it looks like more and more questions are now in the forms of

• term / understanding a sentence / see below
  • does x mean y here?
  • what is x?

Does the rule still exist? Or was there never such a rule in the first place?

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sometime an asker asks a whole paragraph to be translated Aug 27, 2013

Ambrose Li wrote:

I faintly remember KudoZ questions are supposed to be terms, but it looks like more and more questions are now in the forms of

• term / understanding a sentence / see below
  • does x mean y here?
  • what is x?

Does the rule still exist? Or was there never such a rule in the first place?

And some answerers are still willing to help.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 08:58
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
The rule is up to about ten words Aug 27, 2013

http://www.proz.com/faq/4339#4339

2.1 - What constitutes "term help" as defined in rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/kudoz_general/1.1#1.1 ?

KudoZ questions can be used to ask for help on terms or idiomatic expressions.

A group of words (up to approxima
... See more
http://www.proz.com/faq/4339#4339

2.1 - What constitutes "term help" as defined in rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/kudoz_general/1.1#1.1 ?

KudoZ questions can be used to ask for help on terms or idiomatic expressions.

A group of words (up to approximately 10) should be posted in a single question only when they constitute an unbreakable unit, such as an idiomatic expression (e.g. 'a jack of all trades and master of none') that may be several words long and where omitting any part would not formulate the question correctly.

Askers can also ask for help in understanding the meaning of a sentence, word order, a grammatical issue or the difference between two terms, but this should be done in the corresponding monolingual language pair. Monolingual KudoZ questions can be asked by selecting the same language for both source and target languages.

As far as I can remember, it has always been more or less like that (since I joined this site in 2003 at least).

I can only really speak for my own languages, but I think possibly there may be more dictionaries available on line, or perhaps people actually search and find single words and shorter terms already in the glossaries.

So more of the questions that come up in KudoZ are the types you describe -

term / understanding a sentence / see below

does x mean y here?

what is x?

... especially if x is something very new, or something highly topical that has not yet made it to the general vocabulary of ex-pats!
Collapse

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
'See below' is sometimes necessary Aug 28, 2013

Not all questions can be given a clear-cut answer, and sometimes a variable answer is very clearly needed unless the answerer wants to have a discussion with the asker first, potentially losing the opportunity to get his points for providing, say, 2 or 3 different solutions based on clearly stated criteria. This does violate the letter of the rules, but I believe the letter to be too constricting.

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Understood, but Aug 28, 2013

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz wrote:

Not all questions can be given a clear-cut answer, and sometimes a variable answer is very clearly needed unless the answerer wants to have a discussion with the asker first, potentially losing the opportunity to get his points for providing, say, 2 or 3 different solutions based on clearly stated criteria. This does violate the letter of the rules, but I believe the letter to be too constricting.

I mean I have been increasingly seeing “see below” as the question.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Oh, sorry Aug 28, 2013

Ambrose Li wrote:

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz wrote:

I mean I have been increasingly seeing “see below” as the question.

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

In what language pairs, Ambrose? Aug 28, 2013

I would think there are enough KudoZ editors out there now to filter out these types of questions, but some language pairs may not be as well monitored.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Entire phrases that are not compact idiomatic expressions... Aug 28, 2013

... are sometimes posed as Kudoz questions, too.

Once or twice I have taken the liberty to refer such issues to the moderator, especially when the asker is clearly not capable of working in the languages in which the question is asked, or if it is very obvious that the same question is being asked in several languages. In such cases, the asker is actually asking kind Kudoz answerers to do his/her work and not be paid for it. That is a clear abuse of the whole idea of Kudoz, and mode
... See more
... are sometimes posed as Kudoz questions, too.

Once or twice I have taken the liberty to refer such issues to the moderator, especially when the asker is clearly not capable of working in the languages in which the question is asked, or if it is very obvious that the same question is being asked in several languages. In such cases, the asker is actually asking kind Kudoz answerers to do his/her work and not be paid for it. That is a clear abuse of the whole idea of Kudoz, and moderators are quick to respond and have the askerer remove their question(s). I have seen one such question appear immediately as job posting after the moderator's intervention...

And yes, I do feel like a police informer when I do this sort of thing.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What happened to the rule about questions having to be terms?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »