Lisa Reutenauer
Lisa Reutenauer  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:20
English to French
+ ...
Mar 3, 2023

Hello,
I was recently sworn in as a French - English translator and interpreter for the French court. I have to translate a driver's permit, but have no experience in the matter. Where can I find ressources in terms of the official format and protocols for such a translation. I purchased the official document translation course on Pro Z but it only provides info for certificates and contracts and it is not very clear about what to do with seals, pictures, etc... Thank you for any input
... See more
Hello,
I was recently sworn in as a French - English translator and interpreter for the French court. I have to translate a driver's permit, but have no experience in the matter. Where can I find ressources in terms of the official format and protocols for such a translation. I purchased the official document translation course on Pro Z but it only provides info for certificates and contracts and it is not very clear about what to do with seals, pictures, etc... Thank you for any input!
Collapse

Matthieu Ledoré
Matthieu Ledoré
France
Local time: 15:20
Member (2022)
English to French
+ ...
Described and if necessary translated Mar 3, 2023

Hello Lisa,

I did an internship with a sworn translator and the following article was quite useful: https://journals.openedition.org/traduire/331
In paragraph 69, the author (herself a sworn translator) notes that seals and so on should be "mentioned, described and, if necessary, translated".

Hopefully, an experienced sworn translator will be able to confirm i
... See more
Hello Lisa,

I did an internship with a sworn translator and the following article was quite useful: https://journals.openedition.org/traduire/331
In paragraph 69, the author (herself a sworn translator) notes that seals and so on should be "mentioned, described and, if necessary, translated".

Hopefully, an experienced sworn translator will be able to confirm it!

Best regards,
Matthieu.
Collapse

Sebastian Witte

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:20
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Lisa Mar 3, 2023

I’m not longer a sworn translator (there are no sworn translators in Portugal), but I was one when I was living in Belgium. So, that’s what I used to do:

1. Present the translation as close to the original as possible including fonts, font sizes, etc., but without any copy paste of the source (in some countries when you copy the exact format of the original it can be seen as a forgery).
2. Use square brackets to indicate signatures, logos, photos, stamps, marks, security f
... See more
I’m not longer a sworn translator (there are no sworn translators in Portugal), but I was one when I was living in Belgium. So, that’s what I used to do:

1. Present the translation as close to the original as possible including fonts, font sizes, etc., but without any copy paste of the source (in some countries when you copy the exact format of the original it can be seen as a forgery).
2. Use square brackets to indicate signatures, logos, photos, stamps, marks, security features or any text in foreign language.

You should note that some countries have laws/regulations on the translation of documents for official purposes, but many don't…

Hope this helps!
Collapse

Sebastian Witte

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:20
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Lisa Mar 3, 2023

Another thing: when the source document contains an error (on a date, for example) a sworn translator cannot correct it, even at the request of the client. I did it at the beginning and the local authority rejected my translation…

[Edited at 2023-03-03 17:07 GMT]

Matthieu Ledoré

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

traduction permis de conduire

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »