Thread poster: Nancy Greenleese
S E (X)
S E (X)
Italy
Local time: 09:42
Italian to English
copying and pasting snippets Jan 7, 2014

Tom in London wrote:

Now if they would only let you copy/paste....

[Edited at 2014-01-07 16:56 GMT]

Hear hear!

Rogerio de Moraes
Rogerio de Moraes  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:42
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Academic Papers Jan 7, 2014

Hi everyone!

When I wrote my term paper (either a final paper or an essay), I followed the MLA guide (it stands for Modern Language Association).

I took an English course (I've got a BA in English) and the course was taught in Brazil.

Why don't you take a look at http://www.mla.org/style_faq1?

Hope it helps.

Cheers!

Rogério
... See more
Hi everyone!

When I wrote my term paper (either a final paper or an essay), I followed the MLA guide (it stands for Modern Language Association).

I took an English course (I've got a BA in English) and the course was taught in Brazil.

Why don't you take a look at http://www.mla.org/style_faq1?

Hope it helps.

Cheers!

Rogério
[email protected]

[Edited at 2014-01-07 22:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-01-07 22:46 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
MHRA Jan 8, 2014

I thought I'd also mention the British MHRA Style Guide (http://www.mhra.org.uk/Publications/Books/StyleGuide/download.shtml), which is also very helpful.

The MHRA is based on Oxford spelling and commas, etc. Does anyone know of a comprehensive Cambridge or other -ise academic guide (= not the EU style guide and not Butcher's, which is great, but isn't a
... See more
I thought I'd also mention the British MHRA Style Guide (http://www.mhra.org.uk/Publications/Books/StyleGuide/download.shtml), which is also very helpful.

The MHRA is based on Oxford spelling and commas, etc. Does anyone know of a comprehensive Cambridge or other -ise academic guide (= not the EU style guide and not Butcher's, which is great, but isn't a style guide in the sense of Chicago or MHRA)?
Collapse

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
On the translation of titles in references Jan 8, 2014

Tom in London wrote:

(b) what to do about the Italian-language versions of books that were originally published in English? For example "Galbraith, J. K., La società opulenta, p. 317"? If my reader is English-speaking, it would surely be more appropriate to cite "Galbraith, J. K., The Affluent Society" but then what page would it be?

Help ! On more than one occasion I have actually bought the English-language book, found the citation, and entered it correctly in my translation. But I quickly realised that life is too short for that sort of thing !

[Edited at 2014-01-07 15:44 GMT]

I've often opted to leave the title as it is shown in the source text, but in italics, then added the English title in brackets, but keeping the reference to the page etc. indicated in the source text. I don't know if this complies with any 'official' style guides, but I think it is a fair way of making sure the reference is correct, but that the reader can still consult the book in English (obviously, I search to see if there is a published English version, but otherwise I just translate the title to give the reader an idea of what the author is referring to). This also gets around the problem when you have source references to books in various languages that you may or may not be able to research in any depth.

I have never had a client object to this practice.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
This is what I do Jan 8, 2014

Gitte Hovedskov, MCIL wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

(b) what to do about the Italian-language versions of books that were originally published in English? For example "Galbraith, J. K., La società opulenta, p. 317"? If my reader is English-speaking, it would surely be more appropriate to cite "Galbraith, J. K., The Affluent Society" but then what page would it be?

Help ! On more than one occasion I have actually bought the English-language book, found the citation, and entered it correctly in my translation. But I quickly realised that life is too short for that sort of thing !

[Edited at 2014-01-07 15:44 GMT]

I've often opted to leave the title as it is shown in the source text, but in italics, then added the English title in brackets, but keeping the reference to the page etc. indicated in the source text. I don't know if this complies with any 'official' style guides, but I think it is a fair way of making sure the reference is correct, but that the reader can still consult the book in English (obviously, I search to see if there is a published English version, but otherwise I just translate the title to give the reader an idea of what the author is referring to). This also gets around the problem when you have source references to books in various languages that you may or may not be able to research in any depth.

I have never had a client object to this practice.

Surely finding the right page reference in English is the editor's job? Editor working for the English-language publisher that is. I recently had to back-translate a quote from one of Nelson Mandela's books and it so happened I had the book at home and even knew which shelf it was on, so I just asked the PM to let me hand the job in the next day so I could check once I got home (I work in an office outside my home). But if I don't have the book and can't find it very quickly on Internet, I simply specify that this needs looking into by the publisher (even apologising for telling them what to do if I haven't worked with them before)

Nancy Greenleese
Nancy Greenleese  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
a wealth of resources Jan 8, 2014

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I have many more resources for translating and editing academic papers and loads of great tricks for dealing with those pesky footnotes. I hope you were also able to pick up an idea or two.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Academic papers style guide

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »