Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 01:21
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Heh Apr 17, 2012

Jenny Forbes wrote:

A Spaniard who speaks no English goes into a smart London draper's shop. The assistant says "Can I help you, sir? What can I show you?"
The Spaniard shrugs and starts pointing at the various drawers.
The assistant brings down a drawer of shirts. The Spaniard shakes his head. The assistant brings down a drawer of ties. The Spaniard shakes his head. The assistant brings down a drawer of socks.
The Spaniard exclaims "¡Eso, sí que es!"
The assistant says "Well, if you can spell it, why couldn't you just say it?"

Love this one. What an unusual linguistic coincidence.

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

trent2101
trent2101
Dutch to Czech
+ ...
This actually happened to me Apr 17, 2012

I came to visit my boyfriend in the Netherlands and he was introducing me to his friends. They knew I wasn´t Dutch.
That´s why the following introduction really confused me.
There came a guy to me, shook my hand and said: Frans.
and I replied: Nee, Tsjechisch.
( of course, his name was actually Frans, while I thought that he was asking me if I spoke French or if I was French)

[Uređeno u 2012-04-17 13:33 GMT]

btoteva
btoteva
Bulgaria
Local time: 02:21
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
:)) Apr 17, 2012

Libor wrote:

You don´t need to know Czech as such for this one, but at least cultural background.

A Russian on the Czech border.
Border guard: Occupation?
Russian: No, just a visit.

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Monodia
Monodia
English to Polish
+ ...
My turn :) Apr 17, 2012

A guy from Poland who does not speak or understand English, is on vacation in the USA and has a violent toothache. So he goes to a dentist, sits in the chair, opens his mouth and, pointing to one of his teeth, says "tu". The dentist immediately extracts two of his teeth. The Polish guy gets angry, points again and says "TEN"....

("Tu", pronounced somewhat similarly to "two", means "here" while "ten" stands for "this one").

An Englishman travels with his wife arou
... See more
A guy from Poland who does not speak or understand English, is on vacation in the USA and has a violent toothache. So he goes to a dentist, sits in the chair, opens his mouth and, pointing to one of his teeth, says "tu". The dentist immediately extracts two of his teeth. The Polish guy gets angry, points again and says "TEN"....

("Tu", pronounced somewhat similarly to "two", means "here" while "ten" stands for "this one").

An Englishman travels with his wife around Europe. In Poland, they stay at a small, provincial hotel in room no. 2. Once unpacked, the man calls room service and asks for "two teas to room two". The room service answers "parampampam".

(For Polish ear this might sound quite similar to "tutiturumtu" which, along with "parampampam", are just kind of singsong gibberish).
Collapse

trent2101
trent2101
Dutch to Czech
+ ...
I know a similar one Apr 18, 2012

Monodia wrote:

An Englishman travels with his wife around Europe. In Poland, they stay at a small, provincial hotel in room no. 2. Once unpacked, the man calls room service and asks for "two teas to room two". The room service answers "parampampam".

(For Polish ear this might sound quite similar to "tutiturumtu" which, along with "parampampam", are just kind of singsong gibberish).

in Czech.
it goes like:
an Englishman calls room service and asks for: two rums to room 222.( actually, here "rum" is pronounced in the Czech way, like " rooms")
And the rooms service replies: Tamtaridamtam, you idiot!

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:21
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Polish/Czech joke in (ancient) Brazil Apr 18, 2012

This is told about Brazilian President (1946-1951) Eurico Gaspar Dutra (pron. doo-trah), who received the visit of US President Harry Truman. When they met, Truman supposedly said:
"How do you do, Dutra?"
... to which Dutra supposedly replied:
"How true you true, Truman?"

Alastair Naughton (X)
Alastair Naughton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:21
German to English
Related: Variations in English! Jun 22, 2012

My sister and her husband, a highly successful no-win no-fee lawyer in England, were on holiday in the US. Imagine his dismay when they were in the city centre on holiday, and they saw a large sign saying "No Solicitors"

(Solicitor being the highly pejorative term for street traders, and, as far as I understand, can also mean "prostitute").

Sian Cooper
Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
My first job in France Jun 25, 2012

My family came to France when I was 14; we were typically poor mad English people living in a ruin, and I got myself a holiday job washing up at a local restaurant to sub my teenage need for new clothes. I didn't speak much French yet, but I didn't need much for that job.

After my first day at work, I was describing it all with enthusiasm to my father. I explained that I worked outside, out the back, and in the courtyard was a hunting dog in a large-ish run/cage - he spent all day b
... See more
My family came to France when I was 14; we were typically poor mad English people living in a ruin, and I got myself a holiday job washing up at a local restaurant to sub my teenage need for new clothes. I didn't speak much French yet, but I didn't need much for that job.

After my first day at work, I was describing it all with enthusiasm to my father. I explained that I worked outside, out the back, and in the courtyard was a hunting dog in a large-ish run/cage - he spent all day barking, not surprisingly. Anyway, I announced that he was called 'Tagueule',

- and could not understand why my father creased up, not knowing that this was actually everyone yelling 'SHUT UP!' at the poor beast.

[Edited at 2012-06-25 14:00 GMT]
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Please remember that per site rule, https://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/1#1 , "Postings which are political, religious, or otherwise controversial in nature, or that may be considered offensive by other users, will be removed without regard to the views expressed."
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: The entry being replied to has been removed per, Please remember that per site rule, https://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/1#1
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Nov 10, 2020

You can Try as hard as you Like to be Kind, German children will always be Kinder.

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Yolanda Broad
Oksana Weiss
Thomas T. Frost

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Bilingual Jokes

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »