SearX – Using Google without Being Spied On
Thread poster: brovxidfmgan (X)
brovxidfmgan (X)
brovxidfmgan (X)
Mar 25

Hello,

Q: What is SearX?

A: SearX is a decentralized metasearch engine which aggregates results from various providers, e.g., Google and Bing. The results are objective and unbiased, because SearX acts as a pseudonymous proxy for its users. This would prevent Google and co. from profiling you to manipulate search results or serve targeted ads.

The underlying infrastructure is 100% free (as in freedom) and open source. You can audit the source code yo
... See more
Hello,

Q: What is SearX?

A: SearX is a decentralized metasearch engine which aggregates results from various providers, e.g., Google and Bing. The results are objective and unbiased, because SearX acts as a pseudonymous proxy for its users. This would prevent Google and co. from profiling you to manipulate search results or serve targeted ads.

The underlying infrastructure is 100% free (as in freedom) and open source. You can audit the source code yourselves if you wanted to, or customize it to your hearts’ contents. Ready-to-use public instances are available here. They are maintained by volunteers. Pick one, and you’re ready to go.

Although as always, you could never fully trust a system you don’t control. The good news is being a FOSS project, you can self-host a private SearX instance, running on your own cloud ecosystem or physical hardware. Here is a video tutorial on how to do that. Or, if you prefer reading a manual, you can go here. It should be simple for someone with experience in Docker, Linux, or web/system administration. But even if you’ve never touched any of those, it’s fairly easy to learn.

I personally have been using it for years, and I can attest to the much higher quality of its search results than what I get from Google directly. I don’t know when this started, but Google is now polluted with auto-translation. This is bad for research, because calques from English websites are being mixed together with Indonesian contents. Trying to scan credible citations has become a laborious process. SearX has none of this garbage, while also allowing me to break free from search filter bubble and privacy intrusions.

Not advertising, just sharing.
Collapse

George Luca

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SearX – Using Google without Being Spied On

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »