Imene Tl
Imene Tl
Algeria
Local time: 23:36
English to Arabic
+ ...
Jan 4, 2022

Greetings everyone!

I am a Translation Studies PhD student currently conducting a research, and I would be very thankful if you could help me by answering some questions I have and opening up a discussion.

As professional interpreters or trainees, do you have any musical background? Did you at any point in your lives play a musical instrument or receive music education?

Some studies have shown that a number of professional interpreters have a musical talen
... See more
Greetings everyone!

I am a Translation Studies PhD student currently conducting a research, and I would be very thankful if you could help me by answering some questions I have and opening up a discussion.

As professional interpreters or trainees, do you have any musical background? Did you at any point in your lives play a musical instrument or receive music education?

Some studies have shown that a number of professional interpreters have a musical talent and can play an instrument, which in turn has enabled them to perform better in their interpreting careers.
I would love to hear your answers to the questions and insights on the matter.

Thank you so much in advance!
Best regards.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Conversely Jan 4, 2022

FWIW I am a trained musician but chose translation over interpreting...

That said, I do dictate my translations.

Erik Freitag

Imene Tl
Imene Tl
Algeria
Local time: 23:36
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 4, 2022

Thank you for your insight!

Christian Grosch
Christian Grosch  Identity Verified
South Africa
Local time: 00:36
Member (2021)
English to German
+ ...
It's all the same - only different Jan 5, 2022

Hi Imene,
I think there's a close relationship between language and music.
I often compare related languages with music - you can play a well known song as rock, blues, reggae or jazz, and you'll easily recognize it in every case.
Roman languages for example share the same roots, as do Germanic languages, or the Nguni languages of southern Africa.
You learn one, and the others move a lot closer. Like cousins you only see every couple of years.
Back to music - you he
... See more
Hi Imene,
I think there's a close relationship between language and music.
I often compare related languages with music - you can play a well known song as rock, blues, reggae or jazz, and you'll easily recognize it in every case.
Roman languages for example share the same roots, as do Germanic languages, or the Nguni languages of southern Africa.
You learn one, and the others move a lot closer. Like cousins you only see every couple of years.
Back to music - you hear the same song over and over again, and once you catch on to the new rhythm and sound, you can dance to it.
It's all the same - only different.
---
I often played scrabble with one of my former employees. Quad-language: English, German, French and Afrikaans. Game over in 15 minutes max as we ran out of stones real quick.
Ciao, Chris
Collapse

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 01:36
English to Turkish
You learn something new everyday! Jan 5, 2022

Imene Tl wrote:
Some studies have shown that a number of professional interpreters have a musical talent and can play an instrument

How about the studies about professional bankers, insurance brokers, teachers, goalkeepers, magicians and their respective ability to play an instrument? I know some would-be musicians wasting away at 9 to 5 office jobs, and I also happen to know some musicians moonlighting as translators/interpreters just because they know (some) English.

William Yang
William Yang
China
Local time: 06:36
Member (2021)
English to Chinese
+ ...
If you think you can do that, failure is not a shame Jan 5, 2022

no need for argument. If you fail, nothing serious.
Only when someone use your failure as a witness/so called evidence to harass...

[Edited at 2022-01-05 11:32 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-01-05 11:34 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Relationship between Interpreting and Musicianship

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »