Help! Too many questions from same member. (Moderators: \'Let us know\')
Thread poster: Rishi Miranhshah
Rishi Miranhshah
Rishi Miranhshah  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Punjabi
+ ...
Apr 7, 2003

Appears, somebody has vowed not to rest till I switch off receiving kudoz option in my email. This person is abusing the kudoz system and consequently filling the inbox almost everyday (sometimes with 20-30 mails). I\'ve tried all the methods - requesting the person, making a support request, posting in this forum before (then I was suggested to contact another moderator who happens to know the language these kudoz pertain to, i.e. Hindi. I wrote, it\'s more than 2 weeks now, but no reply).
... See more
Appears, somebody has vowed not to rest till I switch off receiving kudoz option in my email. This person is abusing the kudoz system and consequently filling the inbox almost everyday (sometimes with 20-30 mails). I\'ve tried all the methods - requesting the person, making a support request, posting in this forum before (then I was suggested to contact another moderator who happens to know the language these kudoz pertain to, i.e. Hindi. I wrote, it\'s more than 2 weeks now, but no reply).

Any suggestion what one can do in these circumstances? I really do not want to switch off an excellent system because of one abuser.

Many thanks in advance.
Collapse

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:38
English to French
+ ...
Definitely Apr 7, 2003

the moderator should have dealt with that.

Call for Henry our hero.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:38
English to German
+ ...
No moderator for this pair Apr 7, 2003

Quote:

There isn\'t a moderator for this pair, which is why I suggested a moderator for a related pair.

I have had a look at the questions - the problem isn\'t the number of questions per se (note that there are no set limits for the number of questions), but in the fact that entire phrases or sentences are posted - always.

I have... See more
Quote:

There isn\'t a moderator for this pair, which is why I suggested a moderator for a related pair.

I have had a look at the questions - the problem isn\'t the number of questions per se (note that there are no set limits for the number of questions), but in the fact that entire phrases or sentences are posted - always.

I have contacted the asker, pointing out that KudoZ is for terms help - Rishi, please contact me directly if you notice a repetition.

Regards, Ralf ▲ Collapse

Rishi Miranhshah
Canada
English to Punjabi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 7, 2003

Quote:

- Rishi, please contact me directly if you notice a repetition.

Regards, Ralf

Thank you very much Ralf!

Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:08
English to Hindi
+ ...
We'll work it out Apr 8, 2003

Dear Rishi

Consequent to our conversation, I promise to look into the matter at the earliest possible,

Do let me know if something else crops up in between,

Roomy
[addsig]

PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA  Identity Verified
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
Thanks Rishi! May 10, 2003

Thank you very much Mr, Rishi, as it happened to myself also. I too am also dealing in the language Hindi and suffered the same problem a lot a little earlier.

I \'d request the moderators to go thru this matter seriously as it was disturbing my inbox quota and I\'d to delete all unnecessary emails in this case

With Best Regards!

PRAKAASH

Rishi Miranhshah
Canada
English to Punjabi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, and these days we have another person... May 11, 2003

And these days we have another person getting almost an entire project translated through kudoz. One of our colleagues even asked her/him (as a reply to one of her/his kudoz Q) that why do you accept a job if you do not know even this much - this amounts to cheating your clients on one hand and on the other, defeating the very purpose of this system of kudoz.

But as far as I know - nothing happened.

We definitely need some serious moderating for this pair.

Naseeruddin (X)
Naseeruddin (X)  Identity Verified
English to Urdu
+ ...
Moderator is required May 11, 2003

Quote:

Dear Rishi,

Can you please name that person here? Such persons have already been identified on ProZ. I think earlier we had a moderator for Hindi language. This is for sure that there must be atleast one moderator. Please communicate with me through e-mail and I shall see what can be done.

Siddiqui

Rishi Miranhshah
Canada
English to Punjabi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Again... May 12, 2003

The problem Naseer is that some people are not ready to recognize that this is a site for \'Professionals\', though the very name of the site suggests this. Today again we have the same person posting question in Panjabi (http://www.proz.com/kudoz/432644), inspite of your raising the issue.

But well, I guess there\'s no moderator for this pair either.

Thus, bear.

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 15:38
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
What's wrong with that, Rishi? May 13, 2003

It\'s only one question.

Remember that easy questions can be asked, and that you can select to receive only \"Pro\" questions too.

Rishi Miranhshah
Canada
English to Punjabi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
maybe I'm wrong May 13, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-05-13 04:20, c.iglesias wrote:

It\'s only one question.

Remember that easy questions can be asked, and that you can select to receive only \"Pro\" questions too.

Dear Claudia:

Possibly I could be wrong, but I\'m earnestly open, therefore please correct me unhesitatingly.

As I perceive, kudoZ is a system to which one can turn to, when whi... See more
Quote:

On 2003-05-13 04:20, c.iglesias wrote:

It\'s only one question.

Dear Claudia:

Possibly I could be wrong, but I\'m earnestly open, therefore please correct me unhesitatingly.

As I perceive, kudoZ is a system to which one can turn to, when while translating one is unable to find the meaning of a word/term, even after exhausting one\'s means.

Now, the difficulty arises when one starts posting the most rudimentary questions in the language one claims to be translator in, and that too in bulk.*

At this point, two things are felt: one, this person is cheating one\'s clients, thus compromising the reputation of the whole community with the aid of the community.

Two, well this was not what the kudoZ were intended for!

Now, if I\'m just concerned about collecting my kudoZ, I don\'t see a better opportunity than this.

But maybe I\'m wrong in my thinking!

(*Claudia, I gave the link of only one url, the most recent one, but if interested in pursuing the matter, please search by the asker name, or you can even contact Naseer for some readymede details.) ▲ Collapse

Rishi Miranhshah
Canada
English to Punjabi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
True... May 13, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-05-13 17:02, Dyran wrote:

Quote:

On 2003-05-12 19:50, Rishi wrote:

The problem Naseer is that some people are not ready to recognize that this is a site for \'Professionals\', though the very name of the site suggests this.

The problem is, the site is not *only* for professionals. Anyone can participate, regardless... See more
Quote:

On 2003-05-13 17:02, Dyran wrote:

Quote:

On 2003-05-12 19:50, Rishi wrote:

The problem Naseer is that some people are not ready to recognize that this is a site for \'Professionals\', though the very name of the site suggests this.

The problem is, the site is not *only* for professionals. Anyone can participate, regardless of their qualifications or lack thereof.

It can certainly be misleading to go just by the name.

True, but as I see a \'Professional\' - it\'s not somone who\'s more qualified or less. To me, it essentially is a question of sincerity - towards one\'s clients, towards one\'s community, thus towards one\'s \'Profession\'. ▲ Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 15:38
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Agree, Rishi May 13, 2003

Quote:

As I perceive, kudoZ is a system to which one can turn to, when while translating one is unable to find the meaning of a word/term, even after exhausting one\'s means.

Now, the difficulty arises when one starts posting the most rudimentary questions in the language one claims to be translator in, and that too in bulk.*

At this point, two things are felt: one, this person is cheating one\'s clients, thus compromisin... See more
Quote:

At this point, two things are felt: one, this person is cheating one\'s clients, thus compromising the reputation of the whole community with the aid of the community.

Two, well this was not what the kudoZ were intended for!

Agree with all what you say, Rishi. I can\'t judge the level of the questions nor if they\'re too easy for a translator.

Quote:

(*Claudia, I gave the link of only one url, the most recent one, but if interested in pursuing the matter, please search by the asker name, or you can even contact Naseer for some readymede details.)

My comment was about this issue, just one question in that pair, that day.

I\'d be careful with searches of asker\'s history, we\'ve already seen people who don\'t know or understand how the system works at the beginning, and after they\'re contacted they change their behaviour. ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help! Too many questions from same member. (Moderators: \'Let us know\')

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »