KudoZ: Anonymous askers should be blocked
Thread poster: uparis
uparis
uparis
Local time: 03:52
French to English
+ ...
May 13, 2003

I recommend that all anonymous questions (i.e. by askers who are not clearly identified) be scratched automatically.

I\'m also in favour of \"boycotting\" questions like \"how do you say \"hello\" in German\".

We should make sure that this is / remains / becomes \"PROZ.com\", don\'t you think ?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
An often-discussed issue - but in a different forum May 13, 2003

Hi, \"uparis\"...

This issue has been discussed quite a few times already - please feel free to add your views, but I suggest you do so in the \"KudoZ/KudoZ.net\" or \"Translator Coop\" forums - this one is about these forums.

Best regards, Ralf

Paul Lambert
Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:52
French to English
+ ...
Yes, but...... May 13, 2003

I agree with you on the fact that there are a lot of people who seem to come on to the site looking for simple words that they could easily look up in a dictionary. However, if we start to boycott questions, where do we draw the line? What seems difficult to someone might be a piece of cake to the next person. I believe it would be very difficult to establish any kind of rules to regulate this, so maybe it\'s just something we have to put up with.

Also - you mentioned ke
... See more
I agree with you on the fact that there are a lot of people who seem to come on to the site looking for simple words that they could easily look up in a dictionary. However, if we start to boycott questions, where do we draw the line? What seems difficult to someone might be a piece of cake to the next person. I believe it would be very difficult to establish any kind of rules to regulate this, so maybe it\'s just something we have to put up with.

Also - you mentioned keeping this site for \'Proz\' - well, we are professionals, but that doesn\'t mean that the people who ask the questions are too.

Just a few thoughts - but I do agree with you on the fact that some people do abuse the system (does anyone remember the schoolkid who got us to do his/her Unit 1 French homework on the weather a few weeks ago?????)

Paul

Collapse

Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:52
Dutch to English
+ ...
Good for him/her!! May 13, 2003

Quote:

\"(does anyone remember the schoolkid who got us to do his/her Unit 1 French homework on the weather a few weeks ago?????)\"

Sounds like the sort of thing I would have done when I was a kid. \"Kid\" being the operative word. Let\'s not be too harsh.

As for KudoZ, remember the easiest quiz question is a complete pig, if you don\'t happen to know the answer.

Andrea Ali
Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:52
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I think ... May 13, 2003

it is very difficult to set limits to anonymous askers but if it were possible, a good solution would be to lead non-members (and even \"some\" members) directly into the glossaries, and only if the term is not there allow them to ask the question. I\'m working on a project right know and many of my doubts ended in the glossaries!

Just an idea!

Regards,

Andrea

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 21:52
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
And what about empty profiles? Who are you ;-) ? May 13, 2003

Hi uparis

You\'re free to think whatever you want about anonymous askers and you can say it.

But I have similar feelings for empty profiles, nicknames when there\'s nothing else, and in your case I could even add monolingual translators.

I\'m sorry, but it doesn\'t seem to me that you\'re in good position to criticize.

I\'d like to invite you to complete your profile and make it look a little more \"professional\
... See more
Hi uparis

You\'re free to think whatever you want about anonymous askers and you can say it.

But I have similar feelings for empty profiles, nicknames when there\'s nothing else, and in your case I could even add monolingual translators.

I\'m sorry, but it doesn\'t seem to me that you\'re in good position to criticize.

I\'d like to invite you to complete your profile and make it look a little more \"professional\" or ProZ.com, if you want.

Quote:

On 2003-05-13 14:04, uparis wrote:

I recommend that all anonymous questions (i.e. by askers who are not clearly identified) be scratched automatically.

I\'m also in favour of \"boycotting\" questions like \"how do you say \"hello\" in German\".

We should make sure that this is / remains / becomes \"PROZ.com\", don\'t you think ?

[ This Message was edited by: c.iglesias on 2003-05-13 23:15] ▲ Collapse

Andrea Ali
Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:52
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Right you are, Claudia May 13, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-05-13 18:48, c.iglesias wrote:

Hi uparis

... See more
Quote:

On 2003-05-13 18:48, c.iglesias wrote:

Hi uparis

I\'d like to invite you to complete your profile and make it look a little more \"professional\".

I hadn\'t noticed that. Would it be too \"strong\" to compel members to include their names (even if they are not visible to other members) and other relevant information? Especially if it is an agency!!!

Regards,

Andrea

Collapse

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Yes, let's do it May 13, 2003

Quote:

a good solution would be to lead non-members (and even \"some\" members) directly into the glossaries, and only if the term is not there allow them to ask the question.

Regards,

Andrea

A very good idea! Make it an obligation to search in the glossaries before to be able to ask a question.

Lien

SimplyMe (X)
SimplyMe (X)
English to German
Claudia, Andrea: May 14, 2003

The easiest way to distract from a topic is to put another issue into play - rendering a discussion useless.

What\'s the difference if someone reveals much about himself or simply if not?

Look at my profile. )

You see ? - You see quite nothing; just nonsense.

That\'s because I only like to participate in the KudoZ game - I just don\'t need any more jobs; I am working to full capacity.
... See more
The easiest way to distract from a topic is to put another issue into play - rendering a discussion useless.

What\'s the difference if someone reveals much about himself or simply if not?

Look at my profile. )

That\'s because I only like to participate in the KudoZ game - I just don\'t need any more jobs; I am working to full capacity.

If someone likes to reveal all private details - let him do. If he does not like or has reasons YOU cannot see - let him do.

But do not use such things to break up a running discussion, *please*.

So back to the issue...

Questions from anonymous askers are annoying - for those who do not spot them immediately and who are not the first to answer and to get those unbelievable-important-life-saving KudoZ points.

We all know that anonymous questions are seldomly graded; automatic grading comes into action and the winner is: The one, who answered first. HE likes that kind of question; all others do not.

Next time he will hate that kind of question - if he\'s not the first to answer.

If WE decide to answer stupid questions - it\'s not the fault of the asker. It is OUR fault.

So if WE decide a) not to answer such questions and b) not to agree to suggestions related to the beforementioned - we have a solution.

It\'s not them - it\'s US.
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 21:52
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
SimplyMe May 14, 2003

You could be right, because
Straying off the discussion topic within a thread is forbidden by the forum rules, and that's what you're saying I did.

I'll try to explain that even if it looks like, I have my reasons.

If this thread was about
-number of questions allowed/asker
-level of the questions
-abuse from askers
or any KudoZ related question that has nothing to do with the infor
... See more
You could be right, because
Straying off the discussion topic within a thread is forbidden by the forum rules, and that's what you're saying I did.

I'll try to explain that even if it looks like, I have my reasons.

If this thread was about
-number of questions allowed/asker
-level of the questions
-abuse from askers
or any KudoZ related question that has nothing to do with the information about the asker (I remind you that the discussion is about ANONYMOUS askers), I wouldn't have made this comment. Because it would have been "straying off" the topic.

The fact is that if you criticize "anonymity" you mustn't be "anonymous". I just wanted to show this fact, and I'm sure that uparis, who has already created a profile will think about it. These are just my personal thoughts and the way I see it.

Now you felt concerned and gave yourself for example:

Look at my profile.)
That's because I only like to participate in the KudoZ game - I just don't need any more jobs; I am working to full capacity.

You know, SimplyMe, even for the "KudoZ game" I like to see who's answering.
If you have lots of KudoZ and nothing in your profile, that should be enough to me to think that I can trust your answer.
But if you have very few KudoZ and an empty profile, it will be harder to convince me that you're right. The same happens with the Blue Board ratings. You can rate the agencies you have worked for. But if you don't look professional, I'm not going to believe what you say blindly.
I don't think I'm alone in seeing things this way, and I apply it not only in virtual life, but in real too.
Who's speaking? That's an important question (not the only one, of course).

If someone likes to reveal all private details - let him do. If he does not like or has reasons YOU cannot see - let him do.
But do not use such things to break up a running discussion, *please*.

I did because it was related with the topic.

So back to the issue...
Questions from anonymous askers are annoying - for those who do not spot them immediately and who are not the first to answer and to get those unbelievable-important-life-saving KudoZ points.
We all know that anonymous questions are seldomly graded; automatic grading comes into action and the winner is: The one, who answered first. HE likes that kind of question; all others do not.

Agree on the fact that Anonymous questions are seldomly graded, but disagree on the fact that the first one is who's going to be automatically selected. Peer agreement is the key.

If WE decide to answer stupid questions - it's not the fault of the asker. It is OUR fault.

Stupid for who? Let's say that easy questions would be those that are in dictionaries or in the glossaries, and not to answer to those.
I wouldn't talk about "fault" but "choice".

KudoZ rules are going to change, I hope you'll feel better with the new ones, and I'm glad to see that you can also be constructive

[Edited at 2003-06-24 01:54]
Collapse

murat Karahan
murat Karahan  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 04:52
English to Turkish
+ ...
That's it! May 29, 2003

"If WE decide to answer stupid questions - it's not the fault of the asker. It is OUR fault."
Couldn't agree more.
By the way, super profile, LOL.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ: Anonymous askers should be blocked

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »