Roots dictionaries - anyone heard of them?
Thread poster: Mikhail Sergievskiy
Aug 30, 2022

Hello everyone!
I am currently working on some piece of software, where I need to align two sets of segments in different languages.

I've been thinking of different methods like tracking numbers, punctuation, segment length, special terms, DNT sets and so on and so forth. But now I am starting to feel that I would have to pre-translate the source into the target language to align segments properly.
And here is the point where 'roots dictionaries' (I am not sure about th
... See more
Hello everyone!
I am currently working on some piece of software, where I need to align two sets of segments in different languages.

I've been thinking of different methods like tracking numbers, punctuation, segment length, special terms, DNT sets and so on and so forth. But now I am starting to feel that I would have to pre-translate the source into the target language to align segments properly.
And here is the point where 'roots dictionaries' (I am not sure about the term) would be extremely handy.
Like if we have the segment 'Abdominal pain' in a segment and need to align it with, say, russian 'боль в животе', would be handy to have a dictionary where 'abdom' corresponds to 'жив' and 'брюш', and 'pain' - with 'бол' and maybe 'страд'.

Has anyone heard anything about such dictionaries? I am especially interested in English - Ukrainian pair.

Thanks everyone in advance!
Collapse

Yra Kharchenko

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:32
English to Czech
A list of "stop words" Aug 31, 2022

Mikhail Sergievskiy wrote:

Has anyone heard anything about such dictionaries? I am especially interested in English - Ukrainian pair.

Hi Mikhail,

I have been using the LF Aligner program for many years. There are such files in the "\scripts\hunalign\data\raw" folder. For example, en.txt contains 19277 lines:
===
@
1st
a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
a cappella
a drop in the bucket
a friend in need is a friend indeed
a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step
a little
a lot
zoology
zoonosis
zootechnics
Zoroastrianism
zucchini
Zürich
===
A script "dicmaker.pl" create bilingual dictionary, e.g. en-ru.dic
===
1-ый @ 1st
а капелла @ a cappella
капля в море @ a drop in the bucket
друг познаётся в беде @ a friend in need is a friend indeed
путь в тысячу вёрст начинается с первого шага @ a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step
немного @ a little
много @ a lot
===
You have to translate a list of stop words. Take 3 languages as source a create one Ukrainian file. A system shall create *.dic for any language pair for which you have file in \raw\ folder.
You can use MT for translating 3 languages and edit it to one uk.txt file.
Each alignment SW use own list of stop words.

Milan

Yra Kharchenko

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:32
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Mikhail Aug 31, 2022

Mikhail Sergievskiy wrote:
Has anyone heard anything about such dictionaries?

Related concepts are called "word stems", "lexemes" and "roots" (see Wikipedia).

Hunspell spelling dictionaries often contain roots along with codes that indicate potential prefixes and suffixes, but of course, Hunspell spelling dictionaries are monolingual.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Roots dictionaries - anyone heard of them?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »