United States
Local time: 08:47
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
euro Mar 10, 2006

RobinB wrote:
Sorry, but this source is utter rubbish. They've got just about everything wrong that could possibly get wrong.

The correct spelling of euro is all lower-case

I don't agree with that particular section either. I don't know where they base their claim regarding the practices of " the overwhelmingly prevailing industry". But as long as they get the currency conversion right, I'm happy. Perhaps they should stick to currency conversion, since that's the main purpose of the site, instead of adding comments on spelling and language use.

A statement like "it is also important to note that many languages have different official spellings of the name or EUR unit, which also may or may not coincide with general use" from xe.com is equally ridiculous, and I bet they can't come up with one instance to back this claim (with the exception of the official spelling controversy currently smouldering in some of the new EU Member States).

The official spelling may differ among countries (Greece comes to mind), but I can't think of an instance where the official name is different from that in general use within one country.

Maria

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'd never say Mar 10, 2006

Lew Shiong Fong wrote:

Other non-plural currencies include the Japanese yen and Korean won.

"rands".

And I stuck with singular lowercase from the beginning...

Richard Creech
Richard Creech  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:47
French to English
+ ...
EC Regulation on This Mar 10, 2006

The EC has a regulation whose main purpose is to address the capitalization and pluralization issues in the various languages. There has been substantial debate over what the plural form of "euro" is, especially in Italian, where nouns ending in "o" typically are pluralized with an "i" (e.g. "euri," but this is not what the EC has decreed).

As for the use of the euro symbol, it is disfavored in the United States (as are most things European nowadays, unfortunately), because most co
... See more
The EC has a regulation whose main purpose is to address the capitalization and pluralization issues in the various languages. There has been substantial debate over what the plural form of "euro" is, especially in Italian, where nouns ending in "o" typically are pluralized with an "i" (e.g. "euri," but this is not what the EC has decreed).

As for the use of the euro symbol, it is disfavored in the United States (as are most things European nowadays, unfortunately), because most computers don't have a key for it and it is too hard to find in a symbols bank.
Collapse

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Huh? Mar 10, 2006

RobinB wrote:

But it may be an American influence to write euro with an initial capital, following the tendency there to capitalise everything in sight.

Robin

Since when? Not true!

Catherine, an American... or should I write "american"

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:47
German to English
Large members Mar 10, 2006

Barry Taylor wrote:But what is this Member States?! In the UK it is not written in capital letters (nor should it be, we're not German!). The fact that EU documents use it I simply find irritating.

I wondered if anybody would pick up on that. Just testing to see if anybody was awake...

Agree with you without reservation about the ghastliness of European Commission translations, and they're not getting any better. Basically anything to do with finance in the wider sense tends to get seriously mistranslated by the Commission, from directives and regulations down to IFRS 7.

All that money being spent on translations for so little translation quality. Waste of taxpayers' money, harrumph.

The Working Languages blog has a nice story on the curious phrase "sensibly lower". See http://workinglanguages.blogspot.com/2006_01_01_workinglanguages_archive.html

Robin

[Edited at 2006-03-10 20:47]

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:47
German to English
ec rEGULATION? Mar 10, 2006

Richard Creech wrote:

The EC has a regulation whose main purpose is to address the capitalization and pluralization issues in the various languages.

Wow, that's impressive. As a European and passionate critic of European Commission translation quality, I'd love to know more about this regulation. Could you please let me have the details.

TIA,
Robin

maltilex
maltilex
Malta
English to Maltese
+ ...
Spelling of the word Euro Mar 10, 2006

What about the different spellings of the word "euro"?

Malta is insisting on the word "ewro" derived from "Ewropa" which means "Europe" in Maltese. The same is happening to Latvia where they say "eiro". Other countries have spoken on this too.

However, although the EU telling that it accepts diversity, it is insisting of the word EURO in its official (legal) documents!

Kaspars Melkis

maltilex
maltilex
Malta
English to Maltese
+ ...
Spelling of Euro Mar 10, 2006

Take a look at this document for example:

http://www.kunsilltalmalti.gov.mt/filebank/documents/reportonthenamesoftheeuropeancurrency.pdf

Lars Bevanger
Lars Bevanger
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:47
Norwegian (Bokmal) to English
+ ...
...a little aside... Sep 21, 2022

I have always stuck to euro, as this is what was drummed into us as journalists at the BBC World Service when the currency was launched. I discovered to my dismay, then, that Duolingo marks it as incorrect and insists on a capital E! Those pesky Americans, eh?

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Ewro Sep 23, 2022

maltilex wrote:

What about the different spellings of the word "euro"?

Malta is insisting on the word "ewro" derived from "Ewropa" which means "Europe" in Maltese. The same is happening to Latvia where they say "eiro". Other countries have spoken on this too.

However, although the EU telling that it accepts diversity, it is insisting of the word EURO in its official (legal) documents!

That is only for texts written in Maltese, otherwise we were told to use euro like other countries and not ewro for texts written in, say English and lowercase too.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Sep 27, 2022

Lars Bevanger wrote:

I have always stuck to euro, as this is what was drummed into us as journalists at the BBC World Service when the currency was launched. I discovered to my dismay, then, that Duolingo marks it as incorrect and insists on a capital E! Those pesky Americans, eh?

The Word spell check also corrected euro to Euro back in the day. This may no longer be the case, but I wouldn't know because I just added "euro" to my personal dictionary so that it doesn't pick it up any more.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

English usage: "euro" with upper or lower-case e

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »