Universities for Spanish translators (perhaps Puerto Rico)?
Thread poster: Rhio
Rhio
Rhio
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 5, 2009

I posted earlier to find a school in South America. I wanted to go to South America yet the education is in Spanish which causes me to miss out on the (Spanish) grammar and culture classes! Puerto Rico is technically US and therefore has an option to major in Spanish translation (as opposed to English translation). I could simply go somewhere in the US, yet it would be ideal to study in a Spanish speaking country, of course! Any ideas?

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 05:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
A little about the UPR translation program Nov 5, 2009

Hi Rhio! Do you mean that you are a native English speaker and wish to translate from Spanish to English? That's my case, and my MA is from the University of Puerto Rico. The Graduate Program in Translation offers three language pairs, AFAIK: English to Spanish, Spanish to English, and French to Spanish (though French to English is also possible). Six hours of Composition (in Spanish) and six of Advanced Spanish Syntax are requirements for the degree.

Most of the courses are taught
... See more
Hi Rhio! Do you mean that you are a native English speaker and wish to translate from Spanish to English? That's my case, and my MA is from the University of Puerto Rico. The Graduate Program in Translation offers three language pairs, AFAIK: English to Spanish, Spanish to English, and French to Spanish (though French to English is also possible). Six hours of Composition (in Spanish) and six of Advanced Spanish Syntax are requirements for the degree.

Most of the courses are taught in Spanish, though many are taught in English and a few in French--each professor teaches in his or her native language. (I teach a Spanish-to-English seminar, but not every semester.) You pretty much have to know Spanish and English to study there; other languages are optional.

If you're interested, call for more details, or visit UPR's website. The phone number for the PGT (Programa Graduado en Traducción) is 787 764-0000, ext. 2047, and the current director, Dra. Aurora Lauzardo, is perfectly at ease in English or Spanish.

Of course, you could take more Spanish grammar and other courses in other departments of the University--but most would be taught in Spanish. If you're young and single, I would recommend living in a dorm or "hospedaje." You'd get plenty of cultural education there!
Collapse

Rhio
Rhio
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you! Nov 5, 2009

that's exactly the scool I was looking at! thank you so much (: i would say i speak spanish very well yet as I mentioned I can't miss out on the culture and grammar classes! and yes, I am a native English speaker from California. and of course, is there only a graduate program there??

[Edited at 2009-11-05 23:28 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-11-05 23:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-11-05 23:32 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Universities for Spanish translators (perhaps Puerto Rico)?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »