Lamine Boukabour
Lamine Boukabour  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 11:02
Member (2022)
English to Arabic
Dec 31, 2021

Hi,
What is the average typist's productivity per day, and the moderate rate of their work?
Thank you!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:02
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Lamine Dec 31, 2021

Lamine Boukabour wrote:
What is the average typist's productivity per day, and the moderate rate of their work?

I don't understand "moderate rate of their work". Can you explain a bit more?

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Average. Dec 31, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

Lamine Boukabour wrote:

He probably meant “average” or median.

@OP You need to find out for yourself, you can use online tools that measure your typing speed. Then figure out your hourly rate based on the output or something else. Take into account that through an 8 hour session your output may not be the same at the end of the session or the next day due to fatigue. Think about an optimal pace.

[Edited at 2021-12-31 11:50 GMT]

Josephine Cassar

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Lamine Dec 31, 2021

What do you mean? Just typing or translating and text processing?

Christine Andersen

Lamine Boukabour
Algeria
Member (2022)
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
the average rate of the typist's work Dec 31, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

Lamine Boukabour wrote:

It is the average rate of the typist's work, let's say per number of words.

Lamine Boukabour
Algeria
Member (2022)
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Lingua 5B Dec 31, 2021

Lingua 5B wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

Lamine Boukabour wrote:

He probably meant “average” or median.

@OP You need to find out for yourself, you can use online tools that measure your typing speed. Then figure out your hourly rate based on the output or something else. Take into account that through an 8 hour session your output may not be the same at the end of the session or the next day due to fatigue. Think about an optimal pace.

[Edited at 2021-12-31 11:50 GMT]

Thank you! I thought there is an average rate per 250 words.

Lamine Boukabour
Algeria
Member (2022)
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Typing only Dec 31, 2021

Teresa Borges wrote:

What do you mean? Just typing or translating and text processing?

Yes, just typing.

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Lamine Dec 31, 2021

250 words per minute? You must mean 250 characters per minute for sure...

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Dec 31, 2021

Back in the day, I took a touch-typing course. At the time, typists working on typewriters needed to reach an average of 60 words a minute if they wanted a job.
I worked up to 30 words a minute, and wasn't really interested in getting any faster in that I had zero ambition to be a typist or secretary. I just saw that with computers becoming more prevalent, being able to touch-type would be an asset.
Some forty years later, I think I type somewhat faster than the average person, and
... See more
Back in the day, I took a touch-typing course. At the time, typists working on typewriters needed to reach an average of 60 words a minute if they wanted a job.
I worked up to 30 words a minute, and wasn't really interested in getting any faster in that I had zero ambition to be a typist or secretary. I just saw that with computers becoming more prevalent, being able to touch-type would be an asset.
Some forty years later, I think I type somewhat faster than the average person, and I don't need to look at the keyboard at all.
But the fact is that people very rarely need to type out an entire document, without thinking about what they are writing, deciding what to say and how to say it as they type. People are mostly thinking as they type. The days of the typing pool are long gone.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Tina Vonhof (X)

Lamine Boukabour
Algeria
Member (2022)
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Typing Quotation Dec 31, 2021

Teresa Borges wrote:

250 words per minute? You must mean 250 characters per minute for sure...

I am looking for how much a typist would charge when they type 250 words.

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Lamine Dec 31, 2021

I haven’t typed a whole text (I mean without translating) for a long time, but I used to type around 30 words a minute on a bad day and up to 60 on a very good day…

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Lamine Dec 31, 2021

In my young years I did type several texts for an economist. It was charged per page. Anyway, it was so long ago that I really can’t remember how much I charged. Work out how long it takes you to type a page (a double spaced page has around 250 words) and what you should charge…

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
~100 WPM (burst speed) Dec 31, 2021

But I don't type much and wouldn't take any kind of typing job.

CAT tool work/MTPE and revision are far less draining.

The few times I've done fully manual translation in recent years, I got fed up with it after a couple thousand words.

Back in the low tech days, daily output on very simplistic masses of plaintext translated by hand as fast as I could type (mostly market research interview/focus group transcripts) was ~8,000 words per day. More was possible
... See more
But I don't type much and wouldn't take any kind of typing job.

CAT tool work/MTPE and revision are far less draining.

The few times I've done fully manual translation in recent years, I got fed up with it after a couple thousand words.

Back in the low tech days, daily output on very simplistic masses of plaintext translated by hand as fast as I could type (mostly market research interview/focus group transcripts) was ~8,000 words per day. More was possible but unsustainable in the long run due to hand pain.

Note that the source was already in digital format. With today's decent OCR, there is no need to re-type clean printed text, so I would imagine most productivity gains from being a professional typist who does nothing else would be negated by additional challenges due to source type (audio/video transcription, bad handwriting, scans or faxes so horrible they cannot be OCR'd, etc.).
Collapse

Christine Andersen

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Very general question. Dec 31, 2021

Are you talking about transcription through dictation or from a recorded file? Your speed will vary depending on circumstances. The transcription rates are very low and very bad, generally speaking.

Adieu

Lamine Boukabour
Algeria
Member (2022)
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Kay Denney, Teresa Borges, Adieu, and Lingua 5B Jan 1, 2022

Thank you all!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Typing Productivity and Rate

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »