Nationality discrimination by British agency
Thread poster: Carlos Sabena
Carlos Sabena
Carlos Sabena  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:38
English to Spanish
Jan 12, 2012

I have recently been contacted by a UK translation agency. They asked me to send my CV and my target language and locale in the subject Line.

I did so. I specified that my target language is Spanish, locale: Argentina.

To my surprise they did not even bother to read my mail and they simply deleted it.

Then, why ask for it in the first place? I wonder if it was because I am Argentinean? Why don't they just simply make it explicit they don't want translators
... See more
I have recently been contacted by a UK translation agency. They asked me to send my CV and my target language and locale in the subject Line.

I did so. I specified that my target language is Spanish, locale: Argentina.

To my surprise they did not even bother to read my mail and they simply deleted it.

Then, why ask for it in the first place? I wonder if it was because I am Argentinean? Why don't they just simply make it explicit they don't want translators from specific nationalities?

Poor ethics and bad manners from those who should (supposedly) set the standards.

[Edited at 2012-01-13 16:35 GMT]
Collapse

Sam Pinson
Sam Pinson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:38
Member (2011)
Russian to English
How do you know? Jan 12, 2012

I'm curious how you know they did not read your mail and simply deleted it.

Steve Booth
Steve Booth  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:38
English to Arabic
+ ...
It may be bad manners Jan 12, 2012

however I would be very careful about saying they are discriminating against you because you are from Argentina. There could be any number of reasons for what happened but I would be very surprised if your nationality came into it why should it matter that you are Argentinean?

Have you emailed them to ask?

Carlos Sabena
Argentina
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Reply Jan 12, 2012

I got the following message from my mailing system:

Your message

To: Project Manager
Subject: Spanish (Argentina) – GeoProQoL
Sent: 12 January 2012 17:53:49 (UTC) Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London

was deleted without being read on 12 January 2012 18:02:14 (UTC) Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:38
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No response is normal Jan 12, 2012

Carlos Sabena wrote:
I have recently been contacted by G.L. (a UK translation agency). They asked me to send my CV and my target language and locale in the subject Line. ... To my surprise they did not even bother to read my mail and they simply deleted it.

When an agency asks for a résumé or other details, they may be simply building their database of translators, and I often find that such agencies do not reply (although they may send me work later).

[Edited at 2012-01-12 21:26 GMT]

Carlos Sabena
Argentina
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Reply Jan 12, 2012

Read above.

Steve Booth
English to Arabic
+ ...
still doesn't mean anything Jan 12, 2012

Carlos Sabena wrote:

Your message

To: Project Manager
Subject: Spanish (Argentina) – GeoProQoL
Sent: 12 January 2012 17:53:49 (UTC) Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London

was deleted without being read on 12 January 2012 18:02:14 (UTC) Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London.

Let's say they are using Outlook and they have the reading pane set to 'mark item as read when the selection changes'.
They read the email, save the attached CV in the relevant file and click delete as they no longer need the email. Their system then sends a deleted without being read message as when the item was deleted it was still marked as not read.

Carlos Sabena
Argentina
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Reply Jan 12, 2012

Let's assume that. Then, it means they still know the sender will receive that information: Not read and deleted, even if they store that info for the future.

Why do that?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Did you ask them if they deleted it? Jan 12, 2012

Carlos Sabena wrote:
Your message ... was deleted without being read on 12 January 2012 18:02:14 (UTC)

I googled for this, and found some interesting things. Like all read receipts, things can go wrong. Some versions of Outlook actually have a bug that causes these erroneous deletion receipts to be sent.

If I understand correctly, the message is considered deleted without being read if it is marked as "unread" and then deleted. But it is possible to mark a read message as "unread" even if you've read it (e.g. in my mail program, if I want to see how many messages there are in a folder, I mark them all as unread, so that the count shows up).

Also, if the recipient had copied the message and then deleted the original, it would also be indicated as having been deleted, even though a copy was made. For example, there might be a filtering rule that does not move incoming messages into subfolders but copies it.

Also, if the "mark as read after X seconds" is set to a long period, and the recipient reads his mails only in the preview pane (and then deletes it, or copies and deletes it) the message might also be marked as having been deleted without having been read.

Finally, if a recipient mail server delivers a mail to more than one mailbox (e.g both the PM and his boss gets a copy of the message), and one of them deletes it without reading it, then the receipt will indicate that the message was deleted without having been read.

Carlos Sabena
Argentina
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Reply Jan 12, 2012

Thanks for the info Samuel.

It was sent via Windows Live Mail. Updated version. To only one recipient.

What are the odds?

Steve Booth
English to Arabic
+ ...
I think Jan 12, 2012

the odds of it being a genuine error by the user or a glitch in the system are far higher than it being deleted because you are Argentinean. Obviously there is still a chance that the person may be harbouring a grudge against all Argentineans for something that happened nearly 30 years ago but I would say it is unlikely.

Carlos Sabena
Argentina
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Reply Jan 12, 2012

The odds are not higher.

I never mentioned anything that happened 30 years ago.

Still, I hope you are right.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why all the noise? Jan 12, 2012

Accusation of discrimination and unjust deletion, complaining about people you have never worked with and therefore you don't know...

An agency asked for your CV. They might have read it by many methods (with a preview even before downloading it from the server) and could then have deleted your email if you did not match the profile they were looking for. End of the story! Happens all the time considering the very varied markets agencies target.

Go on with your life!... See more
Accusation of discrimination and unjust deletion, complaining about people you have never worked with and therefore you don't know...

An agency asked for your CV. They might have read it by many methods (with a preview even before downloading it from the server) and could then have deleted your email if you did not match the profile they were looking for. End of the story! Happens all the time considering the very varied markets agencies target.

Go on with your life!
Collapse

Steve Booth
English to Arabic
+ ...
apologies Jan 12, 2012

Carlos Sabena wrote:

The odds are not higher.

I never mentioned anything that happened 30 years ago.

Still, I hope you are right.

Carlos,
Forgive if that's not what you were thinking but you did suggest that the reason it was deleted was because of your nationality. So that was the obvious conclusion. Of course there is another possible reason they could have bore a grudge, but even that was over 25 years ago.

I still say the odds of it being a mistake are far higher than it being discrimination against you.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agreement Jan 13, 2012

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Go on with your life!

While it is possible that some in the UK may still harbour resentment (stoked by certain sections of the tabloid press) over the "Malvinas issue" - which I assume is the same suspicion harboured by our colleague - I don't think it is the only possible reason, so would prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt.

IMHO it is more likely to be just another case of a widespread and irritating practice - which I often complain about myself - of agencies spreading their nets wide to "recruit" possible translators for their "database", who may subsequently never contact you, or will even simply delete all the emails that reach them once they have the chosen the handful of drones they currently need from the larger corpus of unwary punters who trustingly take the bait.

[Edited at 2012-01-13 07:03 GMT]

It is also possible that after making the initial offer, they found that Castilian Spanish rather than L. AM variants were what was required (most English speakers are unaware of the many differences between the several countries where Spanish is spoken).

[Edited at 2012-01-13 08:31 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Nationality discrimination by British agency

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »