Thread poster: Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:41
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 28, 2021

Updated to Windows 11, took about 1/2 hour.

Everything worked: Studio 2017, Thunderbird, Chrome, an installed dictionary.
No data loss, connection OK, all pretty smooth.
Tried fixing a few things that didn't work for me but it looks a lot less customizable than 10.

Minor things I didn't like: big fat task bar you can't make smaller, the clock + date are always displayed as is the keyboard language/layout, no way to clean up the taskbar.

Major th
... See more
Updated to Windows 11, took about 1/2 hour.

Everything worked: Studio 2017, Thunderbird, Chrome, an installed dictionary.
No data loss, connection OK, all pretty smooth.
Tried fixing a few things that didn't work for me but it looks a lot less customizable than 10.

Minor things I didn't like: big fat task bar you can't make smaller, the clock + date are always displayed as is the keyboard language/layout, no way to clean up the taskbar.

Major thing I couldn't live with: there's no way to pin a folder (documents) to the task bar to open it with the mouse as a tree so you can quickly browse folders and files to copy, paste, move, send, whatever you want to do with your files.

It's really problematic to even find the file manager and when you do you can use that to manage files but it's pretty much click one folder to open it, then a sub-folder, then another, like Windows 7 or something.
In 11 you can pin a folder to the taskbar but can't browse quickly through it as a tree, which you can if you pin the Docs folder to the task bar in 10.

Rolling back to 10 took about 5 minutes, everything was as before.
You have 10 days to roll back looks like.

10 should get updates until 2025.
Collapse

neilmac
Kevin Fulton
Philip Lees
Endre Both
Kevin Clayton, PhD
expressisverbis
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:41
Danish to English
+ ...
Thanks Oct 28, 2021

Thanks for the warning. I'll stick to 10 as long as possible.

Microsoft should sack half their developers, who don't seem to have anything useful to do, instead spending their time wrecking or removing good and useful functions and UI elements in every update.

In 10, they had hidden the 'Recent folders' folder, which took a lot of research and time to find.

neilmac
Kevin Fulton
Philip Lees
Jo Macdonald
Kevin Clayton, PhD
Tina Vonhof (X)
expressisverbis

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Features and misfeatures Oct 28, 2021

The "big fat taskbar" in Windows 11 can be made thinner, a description is here.

When it comes to file managers, I think Windows never had it right. If you ask me, the best file manager paradigm in its original form dates back to 1984. I mean Norton Commander. Today, its remote descendant, Christian Ghisler's Total Commander with its numerous plugins and hundreds of
... See more
The "big fat taskbar" in Windows 11 can be made thinner, a description is here.

When it comes to file managers, I think Windows never had it right. If you ask me, the best file manager paradigm in its original form dates back to 1984. I mean Norton Commander. Today, its remote descendant, Christian Ghisler's Total Commander with its numerous plugins and hundreds of options, blows built-in Windows tools out of the water. Yes, it takes more skill to tune and manage, but it alone efficiently replaces a whole set of applications.

[Edited at 2021-10-28 23:13 GMT]
Collapse

Jo Macdonald
Endre Both
Recep Kurt
expressisverbis
Hans Lenting

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Pinning Oct 28, 2021

Jo Macdonald wrote:
There's no way to pin a folder (documents) to the task bar to open it with the mouse as a tree...

Wow, I never knew about this feature. Drag and drop any folder to the taskbar, Windows offers to "pin" it (although in reality Windows doesn't pin that particular folder -- it just creates a shortcut to some folders), and then right-click the pinned folder for a tree-like preview of some folders. Many of the folders on that tree are on the desktop, but some aren't, and some don't even exist anymore, so I have no idea where Windows 10 gets that list from.

It's pretty much click one folder to open it, then a sub-folder, then another, like Windows 7 or something.

What you describe here is what I do in Windows 10, except that I double-click, and sometimes I single-click plus press ENTER.

Hey, I googled for this and found a number of posts on how to get the classic taskbar back in Windows 11. Some posts point to a registry fix. Another recommends this app: https://www.startallback.com (shown here, mute the video).

Also, I wonder if these types of utilities allow one to have a vertical taskbar. I mean, I have a *wide* screen, so I have space to spare on the sides of my screen, not at the bottom.

[Edited at 2021-10-28 22:18 GMT]

Jo Macdonald
Endre Both
Stephen Fennell

Kimberly Wastler
Kimberly Wastler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:41
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Language "button" not on taskbar and right-clicking has now become two-steps to unzip/rename Nov 10, 2021

Is anyone else having these issues?

I cannot imagine I'm the only one who uses more than one language on my PC and loves to toggle back and forth - quickly. With Windows 10, there was a nice little button on the taskbar. In Windows 11, it's been "disassociated" and now floats at the top of the screen. It covers tab names, command buttons, and is generally a pain.

Let's not talk about the right-click! It now requires you to go through added steps to do simple things, li
... See more

I cannot imagine I'm the only one who uses more than one language on my PC and loves to toggle back and forth - quickly. With Windows 10, there was a nice little button on the taskbar. In Windows 11, it's been "disassociated" and now floats at the top of the screen. It covers tab names, command buttons, and is generally a pain.

Let's not talk about the right-click! It now requires you to go through added steps to do simple things, like renaming a file or using a decompression app.

Yuck. I am NOT a big fan. I will give it a few days, but I may go back! I am still smarting from when XP got phased out.
Collapse

Stephen Fennell
Christopher Schröder
neilmac

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Choose Langage hotkey? Nov 10, 2021

Kimberly Wastler wrote:

I cannot imagine I'm the only one who uses more than one language on my PC and loves to toggle back and forth - quickly. With Windows 10, there was a nice little button on the taskbar. In Windows 11, it's been "disassociated" and now floats at the top of the screen.

Just try this: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-change-key-sequence-change-input-language-windows
AFAIK this possibility exists for 15+ years.

Peter van der Hoek
Peter van der Hoek
Spain
Member (2008)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Toggle between languages Feb 9, 2022

To toggle between languages you can simply press the Windows key+the space bar. Much quicker than clicking on the language bar or icon.

Kimberly Wastler wrote:

Let's not talk about the right-click! It now requires you to go through added steps to do simple things, like renaming a file or using a decompression app.

Yuck. I am NOT a big fan. I will give it a few days, but I may go back! I am still smarting from when XP got phased out.

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Windows 11 now more Windows 10 user friendly Jan 6, 2023

Given Windows 11 another chance over the break.
Installation was lengthy but smooth.

Can now add a Document (or any other folder) quick launch toolbar on the taskbar to create a mouseover browsable file tree using Explorer Patcher: https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher... See more
Given Windows 11 another chance over the break.
Installation was lengthy but smooth.

Can now add a Document (or any other folder) quick launch toolbar on the taskbar to create a mouseover browsable file tree using Explorer Patcher: https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher
How to vid here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJD61-rm0mA
If you update Windows 11 after installing Explorer Patcher the update might deactivate the app but you can easily activate it again or reinstall.

The only program that stopped working was Abbyy Finereader after it lost its license link.
This fix works: https://support.abbyy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001368709-Error-ABBYY-Licensing-Service-is-unavailable-The-RPC-server-is-unavailable-
Collapse

Philippe Noth
Philippe Noth  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2015)
German to French
+ ...
StartIsBack/StartAllBack Jan 6, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:
Also, I wonder if these types of utilities allow one to have a vertical taskbar. I mean, I have a *wide* screen, so I have space to spare on the sides of my screen, not at the bottom.

[Edited at 2021-10-28 22:18 GMT]

StartAllBack does. It is even the single reason I purchased a licence back in October.

But I have slowly gotten used to Windows 11. I could probably donate the license to you since I uninstalled the product and decided I would not add this additional layer to Windows. Let me know…

Philippe

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:41
English to French
+ ...
Beware of default OneDrive settings Jan 17, 2023

Default OneDrive settings can cause issues. You may have a hard time finding your stuff, files can be exported straight to OneDrive even if you didn’t ask for it. Some people have had struggles with having two Desktop folders, and the list goes on. To fix this, some settings need to be changed and it can only be done in a particular order.
So here is a very quick video showing 3 steps to fix this. You can pause for better a better experience (you may want to untick AutoRotate and then ro
... See more
Default OneDrive settings can cause issues. You may have a hard time finding your stuff, files can be exported straight to OneDrive even if you didn’t ask for it. Some people have had struggles with having two Desktop folders, and the list goes on. To fix this, some settings need to be changed and it can only be done in a particular order.
So here is a very quick video showing 3 steps to fix this. You can pause for better a better experience (you may want to untick AutoRotate and then rotate your Smartphone while you try this method).
Follow the steps in the order otherwise you won’t be able to untick the boxes on step 2.
https://youtu.be/M4rj4LUdojY

BTW, there is a method to install Win 11 while offline (without connecting an MS account), If you’re interested I’ll post it below.
Be well.
Collapse

Jo Macdonald

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:41
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
@Philippe - yes, please post it Jan 31, 2023

Philippe Locquet wrote:

BTW, there is a method to install Win 11 while offline (without connecting an MS account), If you’re interested I’ll post it below.
Be well.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows 11 works but ...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »