Thread poster: Matt Bowlby
Matt Bowlby
Matt Bowlby  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:03
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Mar 19, 2013

I am stuck on how to properly translate the words and subsequent abbreviations of "Plaintiff" and "Defendant" in a legal document.

In Portuguese, plaintiff (autor da ação) is abbreviated as A and defendant (réu) abbreviated as R. So, the document begins as saying Mr X., hereafter referred to as A..." and it also says, "the R. has done this..."

So, shall I refer the plaintiff once as plaintiff and then use the Portuguese abbreviation A throughout the text? Or should
... See more
I am stuck on how to properly translate the words and subsequent abbreviations of "Plaintiff" and "Defendant" in a legal document.

In Portuguese, plaintiff (autor da ação) is abbreviated as A and defendant (réu) abbreviated as R. So, the document begins as saying Mr X., hereafter referred to as A..." and it also says, "the R. has done this..."

So, shall I refer the plaintiff once as plaintiff and then use the Portuguese abbreviation A throughout the text? Or should I use an equivalent abbreviation from English? Or shall I use the translated word Plaintiff throughout and never use an abbreviation despite the fact that it's used in Portuguese?

Your help is much appreciated.

Matt.
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Plaintiff - Defendant Mar 19, 2013

I'd recommend using Plaintiff and Defendant since that is usual usage in English.

Giovanna Alessandra Meloni
Giovanna Alessandra Meloni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:03
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
You can Mar 19, 2013

use always the English abbreviation, but maybe the first time you use it, you should write after the abbreviation (Platinff) and (Defendant).

There's no reason to use a Portuguese abbreviation in an English text.

Kaiya J. Diannen
Kaiya J. Diannen  Identity Verified
Australia
German to English
As Henry said Mar 20, 2013

Henry Hinds wrote:
I'd recommend using Plaintiff and Defendant since that is usual usage in English.

When you translate, you apply the conventions of the target language, not the source language. Since English legal documents don't normally abbreviate these words, there is no reason to abbreviate them in your translation.

An exception might be made in the case of documents being submitted to demonstrate the jargon, slang, or register chosen by an author/speaker for a specific purpose, but I doubt that is the case here.

Matt Bowlby
Matt Bowlby  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:03
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You Mar 20, 2013

Thank you all for answering me. I will do as suggested - using the full words for Plaintiff and Defendant.

Regards,

Matt.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Foreign Words and Abbreviations in Legal Doc

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »