How can I put the titles of essays and books?
Thread poster: Aida González del Álamo
Aida González del Álamo
Aida González del Álamo
Spain
Local time: 07:12
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 24, 2005

Hi,

Well, originally I posted this message in Spanish because I did not know that all posts have to be in English (my mistake, sorry about that) and also because my main doubt and question had to do with Spanish more than with translation from English.
I am translating an essay on literature and the author mentions various authors, books, essays and articles. I do not remember if the titles of books in Spanish go between "" or if it is the essays and articles the ones that go
... See more
Hi,

Well, originally I posted this message in Spanish because I did not know that all posts have to be in English (my mistake, sorry about that) and also because my main doubt and question had to do with Spanish more than with translation from English.
I am translating an essay on literature and the author mentions various authors, books, essays and articles. I do not remember if the titles of books in Spanish go between "" or if it is the essays and articles the ones that go between "" and the titles of books go underlined.
Then my second question is that some of the books and essays have been previously translated into Spanish but some others have no been translated, so there is no "official" translation of the title so I am not sure about what should I do:
a) leave all the titles in English
b) leave in English the titles that have not been translated and put the Spanish translation of the ones that have been translated before.
c) Translate everything.

Well, if it is okay I also leave here my original message but basically it simply states these two questions. Thanks

Buenos días,

Trabajo en un ensayo de crítica literaria muy interesante pero lleno de referencias a trabajos de otros escritores, algunos muy conocidos y otro no tanto. De modo que tengo varias dudas sobre los títulos de los ensayos, libros y artículos escritos por estos otros escritores.
Por una parte no recuerdo y no soy capaz de encontrar en mis apuntes el modo en el que debo poner el título de un libro, artículo o ensayo en castellano. No recuerdo si los libros se ponían entre comillas y los artículos se subrayaban o es al reves. Suelo traducir este tipo de textos al inglés y es la primera vez que lo hago al castellano.
Y por otra parte mi gran duda es que hacer con los títulos en sí. Por ejemplo, aparecen mencionadas obras de Marx y Freud, estas obras ya han sido traducidas y publicadas en castellano pero luego se mencionan a otros autores menos conocidos y no encuentro sus obras traducidas, ¿qué hago?, ¿lo dejo todo en inglés, lo traduzco todo o sólo traduzco aquellos títulos que ya tienen una traducción? Yo optaría por lo último pero siempre viene bien oir la opinión de otras personas para salir de dudas y evitar cometer un error.
Intente preguntarle al cliente pero no ha sido muy comunicativo.
Muchas gracias de antemano por vuestras sugerencias.

[Edited at 2005-07-24 10:33]

[Edited at 2005-07-24 12:25]
Collapse

cuervito
cuervito
Local time: 06:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Títulos Jul 24, 2005

aidagda wrote:

Por ejemplo, aparecen mencionadas obras de Marx y Freud, estas obras ya han sido traducidas y publicadas en castellano pero luego se mencionan a otros autores menos conocidos y no encuentro sus obras traducidas.

Tendrías que buscar en un catálogo de libros en español. Para Alemán existe el catálogo de la Deutsche Bibliothek en donde se encuentran todos los títulos publicados en Alemán. Quizás alguien pueda darnos más información sobre si algo así existe en el mundo hispano.

Mientras tanto puedes buscar en Abebooks:

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchEntry

Puedes especificar el autor y el país en donde la oferta existe. De esta manera yo a veces me doy cuenta si traducciones han sido hechas o no!

Espero haberte ayudado!

Saludos
vk

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hi Aidagda and Cuervito Jul 24, 2005

The language used in all fora (but the ones which are not in Englsih, of course) is English, unless one really wishes to say something and does not know this language, which is not the case of any of you.

Aidadgda, we have three possibilities here:

1) I can move this thread to the Spanish Forum where everybody will understand and will be able to communicate with you.

2) You can edit this firs
... See more
The language used in all fora (but the ones which are not in Englsih, of course) is English, unless one really wishes to say something and does not know this language, which is not the case of any of you.

Aidadgda, we have three possibilities here:

1) I can move this thread to the Spanish Forum where everybody will understand and will be able to communicate with you.

2) You can edit this first message, translate and repost. This assures that your posting will reach more (and more varied) people.

3) We can leave it as it is but it will be limited and, again, I will ask those commenting after my words to use English in this Forum.

Cuervito: could you please translate your comments so that everybody understands?

Thank you A&C!

Send me an e-mail if you need further assistance.

[email protected]
Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you aidagda and... Jul 24, 2005

aidagda wrote:

Buenos días,

Trabajo en un ensayo de crítica literaria muy interesante pero lleno de referencias a trabajos de otros escritores, algunos muy conocidos y otro no tanto. De modo que tengo varias dudas sobre los títulos de los ensayos, libros y artículos escritos por estos otros escritores.
Por una parte no recuerdo y no soy capaz de encontrar en mis apuntes el modo en el que debo poner el título de un libro, artículo o ensayo en castellano. No recuerdo si los libros se ponían entre comillas y los artículos se subrayaban o es al reves. Suelo traducir este tipo de textos al inglés y es la primera vez que lo hago al castellano.
Y por otra parte mi gran duda es que hacer con los títulos en sí. Por ejemplo, aparecen mencionadas obras de Marx y Freud, estas obras ya han sido traducidas y publicadas en castellano pero luego se mencionan a otros autores menos conocidos y no encuentro sus obras traducidas, ¿qué hago?, ¿lo dejo todo en inglés, lo traduzco todo o sólo traduzco aquellos títulos que ya tienen una traducción? Yo optaría por lo último pero siempre viene bien oir la opinión de otras personas para salir de dudas y evitar cometer un error.
Intente preguntarle al cliente pero no ha sido muy comunicativo.
Muchas gracias de antemano por vuestras sugerencias.

[Edited at 2005-07-24 12:25]

(I would post this thread in the Spanish Forum also. We are discussing a similar question with a colleague from Uruguay (Marcela). http://www.proz.com/topic/34982

By the way, you should get the MELE by Martínez de Sousa if you don't have it. Except for the 'laws' passed by the RAE, Martínez de Sousa is 'the' authority to cover the most important orthotypographic issues and issues that deal with books 'presentation' (indexes, bibliographies, et al.)

See you in the Spanish Forum!

Good luck!

Aurora

[Edited at 2005-07-24 13:13]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I put the titles of essays and books?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »