Russian characters show up as garbage letters
Thread poster: Susanne_A
Susanne_A
Susanne_A
English
Sep 27, 2005

I have a problem with the russian characters.
These characters only show up as garbage when I click on a button (ActiveX control) that then displays more text which a user can be directed to.
The text of the button itself shows up correctly (eg. Related Topics), just not the text that comes up when clicking on the button.

I tried to update the hhctrl.ocx to vers. 5.2.3790.233 but no luck.

I don't know why that is happening, all the other text in the help d
... See more
I have a problem with the russian characters.
These characters only show up as garbage when I click on a button (ActiveX control) that then displays more text which a user can be directed to.
The text of the button itself shows up correctly (eg. Related Topics), just not the text that comes up when clicking on the button.

I tried to update the hhctrl.ocx to vers. 5.2.3790.233 but no luck.

I don't know why that is happening, all the other text in the help displays correctly just not this particular text.
Does anybody know what I have to do in order to make this work?

Thanks!
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 07:34
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Susanne Sep 27, 2005

Could you be more specific, please? Which program are you speaking about? What is your operating system?

Susanne_A
Susanne_A
English
TOPIC STARTER
More specifics Sep 27, 2005

Natalie wrote:

Could you be more specific, please? Which program are you speaking about? What is your operating system?

The translators translated the htm files with DejaVu, however I think it's some sort of setting (changing the encoding, changing the charset, changing the font name maybe, in the html file?)

I am using the W2K O/S, having regional settings set to Russian. The client who also tried to compile the help system, has the full russian O/S installed and he can't see the correct russian chars either.

Andrew Poloyan
Andrew Poloyan
Local time: 08:34
Russian to English
+ ...
Check the HTML Sep 28, 2005

HTML code usually contains an explicit indication of the codepage to be used. If the translators localized just the text but left Western or whatever encoding value unchanged, it may prevent the browser from displaying such pages properly. Check the text encoding setting in the HTM files. It should be something like Win 1251, KOI8-R, RU (in XML) or similar.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Agree with Andrew Sep 28, 2005

Check the HTML code for the page encoding.

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Is that some HtmlHelp system? Sep 28, 2005

Could you please be more specific?

Wojtek

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Russian characters show up as garbage letters

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »