Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:18
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not so small Jul 6, 2021

Philip Lees wrote:

Daylight robbery, as in the case Tom describes, is very small beer for them, but it's all money, right?

Thousands of small transactions, at €40 or more each time, adds up to a very big amount. Banks = crooks.

[Edited at 2021-07-06 11:50 GMT]

James Swan

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:18
English to Russian
Confirm Jul 6, 2021

Teresa Borges wrote:
I have no account
Me either. My client pays a transfer fee for each transfer operation (like 3%). And I don't have an account with Wise itself, just my bank account.
Here it is:
5. Tell us who you’re sending money to.
If you have their bank details, add them in and we’ll send money to that account.
If you don’t have their bank details, just enter their email address.
If they’re on Wise, we’ll find the account they want to receive money into.
If they’re not on Wise, we’ll send them an email asking for their bank details.

[Edited at 2021-07-06 12:14 GMT]

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:18
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
My two cents Jul 6, 2021

The reason Wise is so hot right now is that they are giving a much cheaper service than banks. After using (Transfer)Wise for 3 years now, my experience has been that they are very reliable with excellent customer service.

In theory, banks give you more guarantees if something goes wrong, and therefore are more expensive. If true, I still don't think this is reason enough to use a bank instead of Wise.

If banks wish to compete with Wise, they must start offering competi
... See more
The reason Wise is so hot right now is that they are giving a much cheaper service than banks. After using (Transfer)Wise for 3 years now, my experience has been that they are very reliable with excellent customer service.

In theory, banks give you more guarantees if something goes wrong, and therefore are more expensive. If true, I still don't think this is reason enough to use a bank instead of Wise.

If banks wish to compete with Wise, they must start offering competitive options for international transfers.

My final comment: I hope Wise doesn't go the way of Skype, Whatsapp, FitBit, etc. A smaller company builds something that everyone loves, then a big fish comes along and buys them out, and then we quickly see a corresponding deterioration in service.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
P.L.F. Persio
Philip Lees
Tom in London

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 15:18
Greek to English
Death of good software Jul 7, 2021

Edward Potter wrote:

My final comment: I hope Wise doesn't go the way of Skype, Whatsapp, FitBit, etc. A smaller company builds something that everyone loves, then a big fish comes along and buys them out, and then we quickly see a corresponding deterioration in service.

Yeah, Skype was brilliant when it started: simple peer-to-peer connection, easy interface. Since MS bought it, it's been steadily downhill. Now you have to sign in to your Microsoft account and there are those bloody updates, every week it seems, and after each one there's something else that doesn't work right any more.

If Wise continues to do well, I expect it will be bought out by some bank or other and then crushed. The reality of 21st century global corporate capitalism.

Christel Zipfel

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Same thing happened to me-UK client Dec 26, 2021

Astrid Deumers wrote:

Thanks Tom, really helpful.
However, I would like to know how I can claim the € 76.50 that were lost on the way from UK to Spain. And actually they always offer me jobs in Euro, we never work with GBP.

[Edited at 2021-07-02 11:44 GMT]

I lost €30 from €300 as the agency paid via Lloyds bank which has hefty charges and i am going to insist they should pay me those €30 as there was nothing in the T&Cs about charges. May I ask how to word my complaint and request for the missing €30 please? I would like some strong wording and also, i do not know if I am allowed to post a negative BB entry since it isn't exactly as if the agency did not pay. It's not answering my emails now and has disabled my account as I won't do any translation/proofreading jobs where I have to bear the charges. I checked it was not my bank. The agency must have ticked the box that says 'recipient pays the charges' when making the transfer. I have a Wise account which the agency can use to transfer other funds it owes me but the issue at present is how to get those €30 I should have received. If anything, I should have received more as you receive more euro for GDP despite the charges there may be. Thanks.

[Edited at 2021-12-26 15:41 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
You can try but… Dec 27, 2021

Josephine Cassar wrote:
I lost €30 from €300 as the agency paid via Lloyds bank which has hefty charges and i am going to insist they should pay me those €30 as there was nothing in the T&Cs about charges. May I ask how to word my complaint and request for the missing €30 please? I would like some strong wording and also, i do not know if I am allowed to post a negative BB entry since it isn't exactly as if the agency did not pay. It's not answering my emails now and has disabled my account as I won't do any translation/proofreading jobs where I have to bear the charges. I checked it was not my bank. The agency must have ticked the box that says 'recipient pays the charges' when making the transfer. I have a Wise account which the agency can use to transfer other funds it owes me but the issue at present is how to get those €30 I should have received. If anything, I should have received more as you receive more euro for GDP despite the charges there may be. Thanks.

I would inform them of the charge and ask whether they ticked the wrong box, in which case they may cough up.

However, it may well be that they didn’t. Banks are taking the mick at the moment following Brexit. It should calm down in time. I am routinely getting charged £15 a pop for most inward payment from the EU.

It is not my bank but the intermediary bank. AfAIK we are still part of the single payments area and this should not be happening, but it is not my clients’ fault and the bank is like a brick wall. The answer then is just to charge more in the first place.

There is no way an agency will reimburse you bank charges that are not charged by their own bank.

I’ve argued in the past that I should receive what I billed. They have argued that they have paid what I’ve billed. Who has the law on their side I don’t know. At the end of the day, it’s not worth fighting. Just bill them that little bit more.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Wise.com Dec 27, 2021

Ice Scream wrote:

However, it may well be that they didn’t. Banks are taking the mick at the moment following Brexit. It should calm down in time. I am routinely getting charged £15 a pop for most inward payment from the EU.

It is not my bank but the intermediary bank. AfAIK we are still part of the single payments area and this should not be happening, but it is not my clients’ fault and the bank is like a brick wall. The answer then is just to charge more in the first place.

There is no way an agency will reimburse you bank charges that are not charged by their own bank.

I’ve argued in the past that I should receive what I billed. They have argued that they have paid what I’ve billed. Who has the law on their side I don’t know. At the end of the day, it’s not worth fighting. Just bill them that little bit more.

Or just open a EUR balance with a EUR IBAN with Wise.com and wave goodbye to that sort of abusive dinosaur bank fees for good. Such an account can be set up in a few minutes. If solutions like this, which almost eliminate fees, are readily available but people keep using expensive banks for international money transfers, it's effectively their own choice to pay so much for nothing.

Baran Keki
Tom in London

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Help Dec 27, 2021

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Or just open a EUR balance with a EUR IBAN with Wise.com and wave goodbye to that sort of abusive dinosaur bank fees for good. Such an account can be set up in a few minutes. If solutions like this, which almost eliminate fees, are readily available but people keep using expensive banks for international money transfers, it's effectively their own choice to pay so much for nothing.

Sorry Thomas I don’t understand how that helps. I bill in GBP and want the money in the UK in GBP. There is no change of currency.

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
What I billed.. Dec 28, 2021

Ice Scream wrote:

I did tell them they must have ticked the box that says 'charges are paid by recipient' and am still waiting for their answer if they do answer. It's not how much I've billed them but how much was agreed by both parties for the job and in the T&Cs, there was nothing about charges either. I've told them I expect full payment and will accept nothing less and I've got a bit of a plan. They're not going to get away with it without a struggle as I'll chase them for it so they'd better cough up since they were the ones to make the mistake. Could I have been their first?

[Edited at 2021-12-28 06:57 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Billing currency Dec 28, 2021

Ice Scream wrote:

Sorry Thomas I don’t understand how that helps. I bill in GBP and want the money in the UK in GBP. There is no change of currency.

You're right, Chris, in that scenario, it doesn't help. I bill UK clients in GBP and US clients in USD and get paid into local Wise.com bank accounts to eliminate fees for everyone. It costs about 0.5% to change it to EUR and 28 cents to transfer it to me EUR bank account. If you can't or don't want to bill EU clients in EUR, there could be fees.

[Edited at 2021-12-28 14:49 GMT]

Mina Chen

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paying problems from the UK

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »