Poll: Do you live in a country where the native language is your source or target language?
Autor wątku: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
PERSONEL PORTALU
Aug 29, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you live in a country where the native language is your source or target language?".

This poll was originally submitted by Chinese Concept

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see:
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you live in a country where the native language is your source or target language?".

This poll was originally submitted by Chinese Concept

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Russell Gillis
Russell Gillis  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:20
hiszpański > angielski
Repeat poll Aug 29, 2006

This poll was asked before, if you want to compare results:

http://www.proz.com/topic/48097

Russell

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraina
Local time: 15:20
Członek ProZ.com
od 2004

angielski > rosyjski
+ ...
Hard to say... Aug 29, 2006

My working pair is English > Russian, and I live in Ukraine. The official language here is Ukrainian, but everyone speaks Russian, for many people here (even Ukrainians) it's their mother tongue, and a lot of people - including me - are also ethnical Russians. I just don't know which option to select. Not "both", but not exactly "target", either. And "neither" doesn't seem right to me.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentyna
Local time: 09:20
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > hiszpański
Right Aug 29, 2006

Russell Gillis wrote:

This poll was asked before, if you want to compare results:

http://www.proz.com/topic/48097

Russell

There was a poll on similar lines a little over three months ago, but I believe this one is more clear than the old one.

Regards,
Enrique

Sophia Hundt (X)
Sophia Hundt (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:20
rosyjski > angielski
+ ...
Target Aug 29, 2006

English is the target language, and I live in United States.

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugalia
Local time: 13:20
niderlandzki > angielski
+ ...
Wording ...... Aug 29, 2006

Wording of the poll does strictly assume you have only one source (or, dare I say it) target language.

Should perhaps read:
Do you live in a country where the native language is (one of) your source or target language(s)?

Anyhow my source languages are Dutch, Afrikaans and Portuguese. Target language is UK English and I live in Portugal (granted it's the Algarve where English is widely spoken).

D

[Edited at 2006-08-29 17:23]

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Niemcy
Local time: 14:20
Członek ProZ.com
angielski > turecki
+ ...
Neither Aug 29, 2006

I translate from English to Turkish and live in Germany, where... they speak German

Not a favorable situation for a translator, but I hope to reverse it making German a second source language, not in the short run, though, but not in a so distant future, either. Or, so do I hope!

Deborah, I see no such assumption in the wording - although I know it is much likelier that I am the wrong one here. The poll question reads:
Do you live in a country where the native language is your source or target language?

Pundora
Pundora  Identity Verified
Indie
Local time: 17:50
angielski > hindi
+ ...
Hindi Aug 30, 2006

I live in New Delhi and Hindi is my native language. I translate from English into Hindi. An overwhelming majority of people speak or understand Hindi in India.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorzy tego forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you live in a country where the native language is your source or target language?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »